Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
How do you clean your dog cage? Do you use cage disinfectant after cleaning?
I use lemongrass carbolic to clean my puppy’s crate and then I’ll let it dry under the sun. When it has fully dried, i spray it with cage disinfectant.
if you too spray the cage with disinfectant, does your disinfectant contains alcohol? The one i bought has alcohol and essential oils. This is the only cage disinfectant that mention what it made of. The other just say “pet cage disinfectant” lol and no direction on how to use it too.
I spray his cage with disinfectant everyday before bedtime (it’s the only time he use his crate or when no one is at home to monitor him)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What is your purpose in disinfecting the cage? I would disinfect a cage if I was worried about transmitting an illness. Otherwise I'd mostly just be concerned with getting rid of urine scent or keeping it generally clean. Dogs are really very unhygienic so I wouldn't aim for that level of clean. For getting rid of scents I like vinegar. Normal soap and water is fine for most things if I feel like it needs a deep clean.

·
Super Moderator
3,711 Posts
I would not use any sort of fragrance in my puppy's crate or anywhere she will be enclosed or spending long periods of time.

When cleaning is necessary (very rare), I'm with Raindrops - just a little vinegar and water spray, wipe it down, then let it dry and thoroughly air out.

(Blankets, crate pads, etc. go in the washing machine every 1-2 weeks.)

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I clean any urine/poop mess with a mix of water and vinegar (about 1 part vinegar for 4 parts water). This will eliminate the smell so your dog doesn’t keep soiling it, thinking it’s his bathroom.

Besides that, using chemical products will harm your dog. They have a very sensitive nose.

·
Super Moderator
1,112 Posts
I don't clean the crate unless it is dirty. For ordinary mud and dirt I use dish soap.

If I'm cleaning vomit/urine/poop I'm usually dealing with a wet stinky dog as well as a wet stinky crate. I grab the nearest spray bottle with any kind of cleaner in it - window spray, carpet cleaner, bathroom cleaner - and do a quick wipe down. Then I go clean the dog with shampoo and water.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is your purpose in disinfecting the cage? I would disinfect a cage if I was worried about transmitting an illness. Otherwise I'd mostly just be concerned with getting rid of urine scent or keeping it generally clean. Dogs are really very unhygienic so I wouldn't aim for that level of clean. For getting rid of scents I like vinegar. Normal soap and water is fine for most things if I feel like it needs a deep clean.
He had ringworm before. When i looked up what to do when your pet got ringworm, websites said to disinfect the cage using bleach solution. Since the fume is toxic to dog and i dont want to take risks. Although after leaving the cage on bleach solution, i washed it with soap again, it still worried me lol so i got cage disinfectant ✨
I still use it today. And maybe forever. I don’t want him to catch ringworm or other diseases again 😬

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not use any sort of fragrance in my puppy's crate or anywhere she will be enclosed or spending long periods of time.

When cleaning is necessary (very rare), I'm with Raindrops - just a little vinegar and water spray, wipe it down, then let it dry and thoroughly air out.

(Blankets, crate pads, etc. go in the washing machine every 1-2 weeks.)
raindrops ? 😦

it worried me at first about How the disinfectant contains essential oil 😣 but the smell disappears after you leave it for a long time. i wash his crate in the morning so by night it doesn’t really smell.
i wash his crate twice a week lol because his body smells rather quick. The same for his sleeping buddies and blanket.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I clean any urine/poop mess with a mix of water and vinegar (about 1 part vinegar for 4 parts water). This will eliminate the smell so your dog doesn’t keep soiling it, thinking it’s his bathroom.

Besides that, using chemical products will harm your dog. They have a very sensitive nose.
he like to keep his crate clean lol he never poop or pee in his crate except for accidents. Which is rarely happen. And when it happens, he will stare at the spot he had accident until we clean it up
Maybe wiping the crate with damp cloth after disinfecting ? Although it says we don’t need to wipe it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't clean the crate unless it is dirty. For ordinary mud and dirt I use dish soap.

If I'm cleaning vomit/urine/poop I'm usually dealing with a wet stinky dog as well as a wet stinky crate. I grab the nearest spray bottle with any kind of cleaner in it - window spray, carpet cleaner, bathroom cleaner - and do a quick wipe down. Then I go clean the dog with shampoo and water.
oh? Window spray is ok for pet cage? 😮 i only use it to clean his accident inside the house.

·
Super Moderator
3,711 Posts
oh? Window spray is ok for pet cage? 😮 i only use it to clean his accident inside the house.
Even floor cleaners that claim to be safe for pets can cause bad reactions. Our little mix had a horrible reaction to a common cleaner here called Bona.

Now I just use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap diluted with some water in a spray mop. If it's not safe to go on my skin, it's not safe to go on my dog's paws (or tongue!!).

·
Super Moderator
3,711 Posts
raindrops ? 😦

it worried me at first about How the disinfectant contains essential oil 😣 but the smell disappears after you leave it for a long time. i wash his crate in the morning so by night it doesn’t really smell.
i wash his crate twice a week lol because his body smells rather quick. The same for his sleeping buddies and blanket.
Raindrops is another user who replied here before me. :) I was agreeing with her.

I wouldn't use fragrance, but that's just my personal decision. I can't stand it, so I wouldn't subject my dog to it. And I quite like her natural poodle smell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raindrops is another user who replied here before me. :) I was agreeing with her.

I wouldn't use fragrance, but that's just my personal decision. I can't stand it, so I wouldn't subject my dog to it. And I quite like her natural poodle smell.

sorry! I didn’t notice 😂 i thought you use raindrops to clean the cage lol i was thinking Peggy has to wait for rain to happen to clean the cage..
my family doesn’t like dog smell :( to the point where they wont touch and play cookie when he smells really bad. Even though it was mum who got him & she was the one that picked him😠
Cookie is a cuddly boy who always want cuddles and pats 😢 it breaks my heart when they push him away or give pat using their feet. I’ve told them to not do that, they just wont listen.
So i have to keep cookie clean and smell nice.

·
Super Moderator
1,112 Posts
This is what happens when I post when I'm tired. My advice gets weird. Ordinary soap and water is what I recommend for cleaning. I like dish soap, because it's cheap, and rinses well, and doesn't usually smell too strong. No, I wouldn't recommend window cleaner (or bleach) for daily use. It has ammonia, which smells like urine and may encourage the dog to pee in the wrong place. Plus too much exposure isn't healthy. However, I may grab it when I've got an emergency mess that needs to be cleaned up. I would follow up by rinsing down with water and mild soap before putting the dog back in the crate.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would not be cleaning the cage more than once a week at most. If I need to clean the crate, which is rarely, I simply use dish soap and water to clean the cage. Scented products are not good for dogs.

If your concern is worms, then I would talk to your vet about a monthly dewormer - the dog isn't going to pick up worms from the crate, they pick them out from the outside environtment.

I wash my poodle every 2 weeks, and you could wash them every week if you wished to. I also throw crate bedding in the wash every week or two. You can use a towel as crate bedding if the current bedding isn't very washable.That will do more to keep the dog smelling fresh than a crate sanitizer. If smell is a concern - make sure the dog's face and genital area is kept shaved every 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What kind of odor does Cookie have? I don't think that healthy poodles smell bad.

Normie has short hair and only gets a bath every 5-6 weeks or so. I have a good sense of smell and he doesn't smell like 'dog' unless he's wet. Is Cookie's fur long enough to retain urine/feces odors?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is what happens when I post when I'm tired. My advice gets weird. Ordinary soap and water is what I recommend for cleaning. I like dish soap, because it's cheap, and rinses well, and doesn't usually smell too strong. No, I wouldn't recommend window cleaner (or bleach) for daily use. It has ammonia, which smells like urine and may encourage the dog to pee in the wrong place. Plus too much exposure isn't healthy. However, I may grab it when I've got an emergency mess that needs to be cleaned up. I would follow up by rinsing down with water and mild soap before putting the dog back in the crate.
Hahahahhahaa it’s okay! 😄
Every petshops here recommend and sell lemongrass carbol to clean pet cages. It’s natural and earth friendly too.
Dish soaps here smell Quite strong. When i use it to wash water bottle, no matter how throughly I’ve rinsed it, the bottle still going to smell like dish soap.
thank you for your tips!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would not be cleaning the cage more than once a week at most. If I need to clean the crate, which is rarely, I simply use dish soap and water to clean the cage. Scented products are not good for dogs.

If your concern is worms, then I would talk to your vet about a monthly dewormer - the dog isn't going to pick up worms from the crate, they pick them out from the outside environtment.

I wash my poodle every 2 weeks, and you could wash them every week if you wished to. I also throw crate bedding in the wash every week or two. You can use a towel as crate bedding if the current bedding isn't very washable.That will do more to keep the dog smelling fresh than a crate sanitizer. If smell is a concern - make sure the dog's face and genital area is kept shaved every 2-3 weeks.
ringworm isn’t worm, it’s highly contagious fungal infection. And difficult to get rid of (that’s what i red on internet) that’s why need to disinfect the whole house and limit rooms cookie may enter until he’s well. vet said cookie’s next deworming schedule is when he’s 6 months 😊
We clean cookie once a week. And that’s what vet recommended too.
cookie hair is pretty short now lol and yes! We shave hair around his genital area when it has got longer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What kind of odor does Cookie have? I don't think that healthy poodles smell bad.

Normie has short hair and only gets a bath every 5-6 weeks or so. I have a good sense of smell and he doesn't smell like 'dog' unless he's wet. Is Cookie's fur long enough to retain urine/feces odors?
mmm dog smell? Lol he isn’t quite stinky yet today. When he start to stink, I’ll give it a good sniff and try to describe it.
And cookie dont get wet often too. Only his paws when he stepped on his pee. And i always wipe his feet afterwards. And i wipe his butt after he poop too.
Cookie fur is quite short right now. But he still stink as quick as when he got his long fluffy hair. And we always ask groomer to shave his butt and genital area.
He’s very active and like to run and jump around the house. maybe that could be it ?
Here’s cookie picture

1 - 20 of 26 Posts