Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought little Blueberry home yesterday. On the way home, he was sitting in my daughters lap and licking her cheek. Suddenly, she got hives right where he was licking. Just now at dinner her face swelled up. Ugh. I hope it is something temporary.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Let’s hope it is. I get itchy when my dogs lick my skin or even sometimes from touching them, then my skin. I don’t let my dogs lick me (but they still do) and I wash my hands every time I pet them, before touching my face.

This type of allergy is way better than having respiratory problems (I have both) because it can be fixed with avoidance and hands washing. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
We brought little Blueberry home yesterday. On the way home, he was sitting in my daughters lap and licking her cheek. Suddenly, she got hives right where he was licking. Just now at dinner her face swelled up. Ugh. I hope it is something temporary.
Does this happen with other dogs?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Crap indeed.
I picked up annie, agter spending 2 hrs with her litter, drove 5 hrs home. And... where the puppies had lickrd at me, i was itchy. I may have cried.

I washed me, i washed the puppy and took allergy pills the first few days... didnt have an issue. I am not allergic to Annie.
I was allergic to two of my childhood dogs saliva. I would, after playing wifh them, immediately go over and wash my hands/ face with soap and a bit of vinegar. Vinegar really helped.

Watch your daughter - my parents didnt know i was allergic to her saliva the entire time we owned that dog, i hid it so well... and your daughters sounds pretty scary .
I really hope to hear good news, allergies are so difficult!!!

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
That is scary, oddily enough that is how I react to trees, I have to be sweaty and pores open and bam. Please take care, wash well treat with topical benedryl

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Ohhhh nooo :(

That is a lot of stress for what should be a joyous homecoming. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed the reaction subsides and little Blueberry can settle in with his new family.

I react to cat saliva, but had cats throughout my whole childhood. My mom also reacts to dog saliva, and also has fared okay. She has two dogs.

But I agree to keep Benadryl close by. And maybe give Blueberry a gentle bath or rubdown. I wonder if he was in contact with other breeds at the breeder's? Or maybe it was just too much exposure at once for your daughter. Lots of stress/excitement, too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Fingers crossed this subsides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm optimstic.

I grew up with allergies and my mom has "severe" allergies. I was so stubbern and lonely and determined that I could make it work with the poodles reputation. Basically, Basil's not allowed to lick my mom, which isn't a problem for Mom. After my Mom pets Basil, Mom has to wash her hands. Mom would normally scratch her own face all the time, but Mom's changed that habit after one incident.

I also bought these purifying fans for added clean air. Basil "sheds", but not like a normal dog. She loses hair like a human. These help keep the air clean.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I hope this is an isolated incident. Maybe your daughter is reacting to grooming products used at the breeder's? I would definitely wash the puppy and make sure YOU have dog shampoo your daughter can tolerate. I'm hoping it will all get resolved. Congratulations on Blueberry's arrival!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I was thinking of you all a lot this past weekend. I hope this was just something that Bb came in contact with and this works out for you all and for Blueberry (love the name!). 🙏

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For this week, I’m going to dose her with Zyrtec. It seems to be saliva and not fur she is reacting to. I am going to talk to the vet to see if maybe changing his diet might have any effect. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Photos and a proper introduction coming soon. Crazy week here.

·
Premium Member
23,407 Posts
Aww I hope that your daughter's reaction settles down. I love the name Blueberry and really want this to all work for you. I agree that giving Blueberry a bath with very hypoallergenic shampoo might be in order.

Reactions: Liz
1 - 13 of 13 Posts