Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..but somehow I just have to browse.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pet/1508677765.html

How cute is that little poodle? If i'm reading the ad right she wants to trade that cute 8month old female poodle for a baby female poodle puppy.

8 months and already too old for her I guess... so sad and i'm not a small dog person but that is one cute poodle!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Disposable puppy I guess. Got too big to fit in her purse.

I just emailed someone similar through Kijiji. She said she was getting rid of her dog because "my second dog has been acting weird with him. We were also looking for a dog who was a little smaller. This poodle is about 11 pounds, as oppose to a toy poodle who is only about 5 pounds." I'm not actually sure I believe this person's story, but come on! Getting rid of your dog becase it's slightly bigger then you thought it would be? So pathetic.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just can't imagine trading or giving up one of my dogs. I suppose if dire circumstances came up and I had to then yes I would contact family/friends or even board members here but trading for just a newer version just goes right over my head. I can't even imagine doing such a thing.

Some people really miss out on the whole experience of dog ownership when they refuse to have a bond with their animals. It's something special to cherish not throw away.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I HATE craigslist v.v;
but I catch myself reading it 2...3 times a day

some of the people who post on it are just AWFUL AWFUL people...getting rid of your dog because its bigger then you though it would be...

that would be like me getting rid of Elphie because shes a TINY standard ((which are supposed to be big >.> ))

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I can't even bear to read the pet section of craigslist. So much ignorance, it's really sickening.

"WHAT IS RONG W/ MY CAT IT R PEEING BLOOD LOLZ"

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My favorite is the "I am moving and can't take dog with me" etc...

I am moving from Louisiana to North Carolina and I have 4 dogs and 2 cats, i started searching MONTHS ago for a landlord that would let me rent a house with my animals.

I found one! She's going to charge me $800 in pet deposit fees (all refundable) + $100 non-refundable deposit for carpet cleaning and whatever else might need to be done... It took a long time to find someone willing to work with me and it will be hard moving with that many dogs but I did it and it's a small price to pay when the alternative is giving them up.

My parents even offered to keep my German Shepherd for me knowing she's usually the most difficult but she's my baby that i've had for many years now... i mean i love all my dogs but there is just a special place in my heart for Pandora, she was my first dog I had out on my own. When she was 10 months old I was walking her and a growling pit/lab looking dog came upon us and she didn't hesitate to defend me, even had a nasty bite on her neck from it. My dogs would do anything for me, damn right i'm going to bust my ass to make sure they have a place with me in my new home.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I used to do this STOP!!

People like us that care so much for dogs only hurt ourselves for the one slight chance in heck that you might stumble across something good. You have to go through all the BAD stuff! (that little baby was cute too OMG:doh:)

Me I can't handle that, pet stores or anything else. It breaks my heart and starts to make me weak.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I can't read them at all. The ones that kill me are the ads that mention the dog is still intact or is a good producer. Not only are they dumping the dog but they want it to go to some kind of puppymill situation. I think there is a special place in hell for the people looking to dump their senior dogs, no matter where they do it. If you've had a dog 10 or more years and you can just give it up to the first person that answers an ad, there is something seriously wrong w/ you. It's always b/c they are moving or don't have any time. It also makes me wonder what kind of life that dogs has had for the last 10 years. I've seen a few ads too, that say they are having a baby. I must have missed the newsflash that said having kids means you automatically have to give up your dogs. (People on the Rottie forum get that all the time when they tell friends and family they are expecting. "So when are you getting rid of the dogs?" WTF!?!)

If I go to CL or Kjiji either one, I use the search function, but then you have to sort through all the Labradoodle and Maltipoo ads.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I can't help but wonder if it is because the pup isn't trained to poop in an appropriate place. I wonder whose fault that would be? Too sad.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I think I have to agree with Olie all these free sites like kijjiji and craigs list are just folks that are basically way worse that BYB... I hate pet stores .. I hate the folks that sit on corners and sell puppies..Or the free kittens at the store OMG !! I could go on and on ...Stay away from them they are just upestting ....At least ebay forbids selling animals or could you just imagine ?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My favorite is the "I am moving and can't take dog with me" etc...

I am moving from Louisiana to North Carolina and I have 4 dogs and 2 cats, i started searching MONTHS ago for a landlord that would let me rent a house with my animals.

I found one! She's going to charge me $800 in pet deposit fees (all refundable) + $100 non-refundable deposit for carpet cleaning and whatever else might need to be done... It took a long time to find someone willing to work with me and it will be hard moving with that many dogs but I did it and it's a small price to pay when the alternative is giving them up.
Ditto... We have 4 dogs... we searched and searched to find the perfect place for the dogs. The dogs are the whole reason we moved anyway, because we wanted them to have a yard.

I would feed my dog before myself if times were hard... because I'm the boss, they're looking to me for everything... people like this are just ridiculous. If they really cared, they would go without something to keep their pets.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I really think most people see dogs and other animals as disposable. Why go through the hassle of taking the big, old dog along when you move, when you can just dump him/her and get a new, fun, cute puppy once you're settled in? Why pay a big vet bill, when a new dog is cheaper? Why pay for training, when you can just start over w/ a puppy? I know many people around here get puppies for their kids and once the novelty wears off, the dog is forgotten.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
When I worked at the shelter, for every excuse that people used to DUMP their pets, the SAME reason was given by other people LOOKING for a new pet... For example:

We're moving into a new house - we have to get rid of the pet
We're moving into a new house - we can FINALLY have a pet of our own!!!

We're having a baby - we have to get rid of the pet
We're having a baby - and we want our child to grow up with pets

Our kids have all moved away - We have to get rid of the pet
Our kids have all moved away - We're lonely and would like a pet

I just got a divorce - I need to get rid of my pet
I just got a divorce - the house is empty and I'd like a pet

So, you see... the "reasons" people give for giving up a pet are all just excuses If a person really WANTS to keep their pet, or get a pet, it will happen - they will MAKE it work - on the other hand, if a person doesn't want the hassle of a pet anymore - they'll find a way to get rid of it and they won't look back... :(

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wow that is sad! What a cute little girl!
As horrible as craigslist can be i got my Mister from it. He was in need of a home be cause "he keeps getting bigger" and "his brother beats up on him". Neither of which i believe. The other dog was around when i got Mister and they seems fine together. It was an older couple and i honestly think they just wanted a smaller dog and didnt know what they were getting into when they got a Standard. They now have another small shih tzu mix dog (my friend is their groomer).
Sad story but Mister had a happy ending! I knew what i was getting into with a Standard and id do it again in a heart beat. He is my dream dog lol.
Oh and my pups and my horse are FAR from disposable. It would take me dying to give them up. And then i would have an immeadiate family member or really close friend take them. I just cant understand people sometimes.
Horses are another animal that is passed around so much and its sad because they live so long and go threw so many owners. I got Felis when she was 3 and she had already had 4 owners that i knew of! I have now had her for almost 7 years and she will always be with me. She is my everything and she is like my child.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's nice that there are happy endings for craigslist dogs but what scares me are the not-so-friendly people browsing craigslist.

- Research Labs
- People looking for "bait" dogs or even "free" pit bulls for that matter.. no telling what happens to some of them.
- People looking specifically for unspayed males/females to breed and sell puppies and then probably dispose of that dog after a few litters or the dog is too old/sick.

That's what I find scary about craigslist. I think there are really good people out there looking for their next companion but unfortunately the bad people are looking as well.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
That ad really hits home for me. I got Teddy wanting a toy, mostly because I wanted to be able to take him everywhere and I have a bad back. But now that he's moved firmly into mini territory, I can't imagine giving him up just because he's bigger than what I originally wanted. I'll just deal with the back pain. It's worth it having Teddy in my life. I love him so much!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't care much for Craigslist pet ads. If you want some entertainment check out the bickering on the Des Moines Iowa section. Jeeze, you can hardly find the pet ads for all of the people voicing their opinions of all the other ads. With that said, Cash is a Craigslist puppy. He did not come from the pet section. He was in the WANTED section. It said, Wanted, a good home for standard poodle puppy...."

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
When I worked at the shelter, for every excuse that people used to DUMP their pets, the SAME reason was given by other people LOOKING for a new pet... For example:

We're moving into a new house - we have to get rid of the pet
We're moving into a new house - we can FINALLY have a pet of our own!!!

We're having a baby - we have to get rid of the pet
We're having a baby - and we want our child to grow up with pets

Our kids have all moved away - We have to get rid of the pet
Our kids have all moved away - We're lonely and would like a pet

I just got a divorce - I need to get rid of my pet
I just got a divorce - the house is empty and I'd like a pet

So, you see... the "reasons" people give for giving up a pet are all just excuses If a person really WANTS to keep their pet, or get a pet, it will happen - they will MAKE it work - on the other hand, if a person doesn't want the hassle of a pet anymore - they'll find a way to get rid of it and they won't look back... :(
How true....very true observation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts