Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever sold anything off of this? I had my BF set up to sell some of my jewelery. We are getting some odd replies requesting our paypal info. And I had not attached pictures or anything. We have not responded to these people - but I am wondering if it might be some type of scam?

We are being very careful - maybe too careful IDK.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There are lots of scams on Craigslist, it's good to keep an eye out. I sold my old bunkbed on there, it was gone within a day, but I don't know the whole process or what kind of replies there are since my mom handled all that. Sorry!! Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Don't ever deal with people wanting to go the paypal route... the entire premise of craigslist is that you're making deals with people in the same city you are, for face to face meetings and changing of money. Always take cash, no checks, and always bring someone with you and meet in a well lit and well known area with lots of people. I also always call someone (other than the person I'm bringing, lol) before and after the deal is made... just to be safe.

I've gotten my mom addicted to it, as well as lots of friends. The key is to play it safe and smart. Also, although it sounds horrible, don't promise items to people. People fall through all the time, and you've already turned people away. I do it first come first serve, but set up meetings on who emails me first.

So... person who emails me first has the first opportunity to get the item, but if they decide not to get it and want to get back to me about it, I just let them know that there ARE other people coming to see it and I can't guarantee the item to them. It's allll about money on CL. (I do occasionally go out of order when say... person 4 has been the kindest and most polite about asking me about stuff, and person 1 kinda seems like an ass anyway. :) I know, I'm terrible.)

Anyway, that was a schpeal, right?

Be safe! Be careful giving out your number, too... some people are crazy. Craaaaaazzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyy! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
I totally agree with Spencer. My bf sells lots of things over craigslist and that is exactly how he does it. He has even sold a drum set and a car. Don't ever compromise because there is always a chance someone else will give you what you want, unless you are really desperate to sell something. Pictures are always good because it gives people a chance to decide that it is something they can't live without. They really have to imagine themselves with it on. :) Hope things go well.

·
Registered
681 Posts
We have sold furniture and other things on it. Ebay also has free classified listings now, it was called kijiji, but they just changed it to ebayclassifieds.com or something like that. I basically have the same system as Spencer. Of course, with furniture a lot of the time people have to come to the house. SO, if someone wants to come, I make sure my husband is home. I deal through email first, and then after it seems like it will go through, I give the person my phone number. I also sell a lot of items on a local group I belong to, but feel safer there as most of the members know someone in person who I know.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't ever deal with people wanting to go the paypal route... the entire premise of craigslist is that you're making deals with people in the same city you are, for face to face meetings and changing of money. Always take cash, no checks, and always bring someone with you and meet in a well lit and well known area with lots of people. I also always call someone (other than the person I'm bringing, lol) before and after the deal is made... just to be safe.

I've gotten my mom addicted to it, as well as lots of friends. The key is to play it safe and smart. Also, although it sounds horrible, don't promise items to people. People fall through all the time, and you've already turned people away. I do it first come first serve, but set up meetings on who emails me first.

So... person who emails me first has the first opportunity to get the item, but if they decide not to get it and want to get back to me about it, I just let them know that there ARE other people coming to see it and I can't guarantee the item to them. It's allll about money on CL. (I do occasionally go out of order when say... person 4 has been the kindest and most polite about asking me about stuff, and person 1 kinda seems like an ass anyway. :) I know, I'm terrible.)

Anyway, that was a schpeal, right?

Be safe! Be careful giving out your number, too... some people are crazy. Craaaaaazzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyy! :D
Exactly what I needed to know! Thanks Spencer!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I have a paypal account... I'm an honest person (but I know not all out there are...) I've purchased (and sold) many things using paypal (usually via eBay, but not always) and it really does make transactions quick, safe and convenient.

Just thought I'd throw that out there... :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PC - IA we have paypal too and used it w/out issues- but it seems weird that so many are seeing the ad, no pictures and wanting this info already w/out talking or getting more details. I know I don't want to miss the opportunity as I have been holding on to the one item far too long but I don't want screwed either lol.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
OH, and also, my favorite tip... because I'm sneaky that way...

I usually price my items $10-15 higher than I actually expect to get. That way, people get out the haggling (people love to haggle, so I just a'let'em) that they want to do, and I get what I was wanting anyway.

I had a TV that I only wanted like $60 for, and listed it for $75, I ended up getting $65. Meh, the guy thought he was slick $hit for getting me down on price (really, it was terrible to deal with), but I got what I wanted in the first place.

Oh, another tip! Just popped in my head! I try and do ALL haggling through emails or on the phone. I prefer not to do it in person, because they're more likely to turn away if they don't get the price they want in person... if you've both already agreed on something beforehand, it is harder for them to try and get you to drop price to your face.

And ALWAYS, alwaysalwaysalways have a minimum that you have told yourself. If you REALLY feel and have done your research and are SURE that your item is worth $75, don't go lower than that. You'll feel cheated forever, especially knowing you could have gotten more. The right buyer will be there, and there's no reason to give it to the first person that emails you... unless you're in a pinch and need the money asap.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
lol I have no advice I just love Spencer and her craigslist guru.ness XDD
<333
thats all very good advice!!
I just lurk craigslist though never a buyer/seller lol
((pet classifieds usually where I lurk the most I'm the one who flags people for trying to sell animals ^_^ ))

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What can I say... I have a lot of free time in the mornings as I don't have to go to work every day until 3. :D

I don't get on it as much anymore as my "spendable" cash went down and now it all goes to bills, bills, bills... but I do miss getting myself some pretty awesome deals!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes I agree with Spencer ! I have bought and sold on CL and you only DO CASH only face to face deals !

If people are asking for payapl stay away especially if no pictures where posted those are spammers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts