Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peggy had to get some boosters today and I mistakenly thought our veterinary clinic was back to their regular patient procedures. Nope! My husband had to call from the parking lot and an assistant came out to get Peggy.

Just wondering if your clinic is operating similarly? If so, how is your poodle handling it?

Peggy thinks it's great fun.

Gracie would have gone willingly the first time and then shook like a leaf from then on, likely with a good case of nervous diarrhea.

I personally find it nerve wracking, especially when you have to speak with the vet on your cell phone phone while they do their exam. It's much easier to skip over important details.

My friend's bulldog recently had a respiratory emergency, likely brought on by stress. But then the stress of separation at the clinic made him even worse! Nightmare.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
My vet is still insisting on dog valet, although they were kind enough to let my husband come inside when Pogo was euthanized. I actually prefer waiting in my car. My vet's waiting room was always a really stressful place for me: big dogs busting their pinch collars and getting loose, toy dogs on retracti leashes wandering up to other dogs to sniff noses while their oblivious owners chatted, etc. It's nice not to have to handle these confrontations anymore.

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
We are continuing the call from the parking lot scheme at t has generally been fine. Lily didn't want to go with the tech when she went in for her dental, but it was so early in the morning and since no one else was there save one other car, the young lady let me walk with them to the front door (masks on of course). After that I was fine not going in since I think if I had she would have gotten more upset.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The last time we took Sisko to the vet we were about to go inside. He has an appointment on the 8th of next month, so after reading this I'm really hoping that we can go inside with him, and that is why I really want to go in with him, so I can go over any and all details.

Are covid-19 cases raising here again? I have stayed away from the news😓 I will check.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Still waiting in the carpark here, although when I booked an appointment for a discussion about Poppy we held it in the big barn at the back of the surgery with the doors open, so at least we were out of the rain! I make sure to write down observations and questions, print them out, and hand the sheet to the vet - that way I am far less likely to miss anything.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
We're still dropping off and picking up at the door to the clinic. Misha just had to go in on Saturday with eye infection. He's better about it than I thought he would be, though he gets overjoyed when he sees me through the window before pickup and starts doing the crazy dance and whine.

I hate it because I feel like I have a harder time explaining things to the vet. And I often like to have them check on minor things while he's in, which is very difficult to explain when not in person.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Still doing the drop off & wait for a call. Earlier this summer I made the mistake of running an errand during the wait, which they estimated would be 30 minutes, and I missed their call 15 minutes later. Oops! I waited another 40 minutes to be able to talk to the vet and pick up Mia. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's all Basil knows, so she loves attention when it's her turn because there's no waiting for her. She goes straight from the car with Dad to the tech+treats to the Dr.

I read stories online about the germs on the floor, so I felt like the covid procols were better for Basil because the first 2 visits she was carried in due to the germs on the floor.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Here one person is allowed with the dog in the clinic, but since the exam rooms are two small to allow being 2 meters apart (6 feet), we talk to the technician and vet outside the room and the dog goes in alone.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
They have recently allowed one person wearing a mask to go in with the pet. You sit in your car, not the waiting room. They warned me to come early and be prepared to wait while they work on keeping pet owners coming and going at a distance.

I’m thrilled because my dog has panic attacks at the vet and I couldn’t imagine sending her in alone. She got her Rabies vaccine just before Covid shut down but is overdue on two other vaccinations.

I had to put my last cat to sleep during shut down and the vet refused to allow us inside even for such a sad request. I called a special vet service who’s only service is to come to the house to put them to sleep. We did it on our driveway on a beautiful sunny day with the cat in my arms. I’m thankful I had that option.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I send a written note in with Normie explaining the reason he's there and providing all the information I think they need; I also list any questions that I have. Then when the vet calls, she goes down my question list.

I find the calls difficult; unfortunately, the road beside the clinic connects to the interstate. It can get loud.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When we had to let go of Toby this summer, they would have allowed my husband and I to go inside for the procedure - but only with face masks and gloves, of course. However, we requested to have him euthanized outside the clinic (they had a nice, quiet tree covered parking lot with a picnic table), which they kindly obliged.

My brother tried taking his dog to the vet in our area last week for a general check up (he's new to the area) and most vets aren't accepting new patients right now so he's having a bit of a hard time finding somewhere. And they're also still following drop-off procedures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are in Connecticut. Our vet office allows one parent in masked. I like this as I usually have tons of questions. Sookie likes it too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pensacola, Fl, our vet tech comes to the car. Sometimes the Vet comes out after the visit--sometimes the tech.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts