Poodle Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I need to test him again soon, but he is just producing watery diarrhea, despite rice/chicken/pumpkin so my hopes are not high. He is due a grooming soon, but I can’t possibly take him like this, poor baby.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I need to test him again soon, but he is just producing watery diarrhea, despite rice/chicken/pumpkin so my hopes are not high. He is due a grooming soon, but I can’t possibly take him like this, poor baby.
Sigh. I’m sorry. :( I’m not sure if this will be helpful for you (and I don’t know anything about giardia-specific dietary guidelines), but when Peggy had a rare bout of severe diarrhea, she didn’t do very well on rice and chicken. As soon as I got her back on kibble, her poops firmed up.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
If the chicken & rice isn't working you could try lean ground beef and white rice. When I use chicken I always buy boneless, skinless chicken breast and boil it . I use those prepacked white rice bags, then I cut up the chicken add the white rice to it and feed it for 5-7 days, no treats and slowly add back kibble , and as long as they are tolerating it until back to kibble.

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
I have found Royal Canin Sensitivity Control canned very helpful in case of both acute and ongoing diarrhoea - even better than chicken and rice congee and a balanced food so OK to feed longer term.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Raw ground beef or cooked..? How would you cook it to keep it plain?
It would have to be very lean, plus I’d drain (or cool and skim) the fat off, too. Just cook it gently in a little water.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Note: I’m posting this here even though it doesn’t involve a poodle, just in case it’s helpful to anyone else who’s bringing home a puppy during these challenging times. Identifying details have been changed for privacy.

My poor friend.

He’s never had a dog of his own, and has always wanted one. So in January he and his family took the plunge and brought home a young small breed puppy from questionable “re-homing” origins. (Unfortunate, yes, but what’s done is done.) We’ll call the puppy Toto.

Toto’s first week at home, the region was in lockdown. Plus, there was a blizzard (aka a potty training nightmare) so things already weren’t going great when he started going physically downhill and required emergency treatment for giardia. Weeks later, the vet now suspects he’s reinfected himself, and so this poor puppy is beginning a second round of treatment. The vet has also said Toto will need to begin his vaccination schedule all over again once the giardia is confirmed gone, which could take months.

My friend’s been told the earliest Toto can possibly go out in public is April, at which point he’ll be 7 months old. He will have never interacted with another dog (beyond whatever interactions he may have had before my friend brought him home), not to mention the rest of the scary/fun/exciting things that make up our world.

What’s breaking my heart the most is that I asked if Toto’s a confident little guy and my friend couldn’t answer because he and his wife honestly don’t know. They are complete novices. How many stories like this are playing out all around the world right now?

Before the giardia diagnosis, they’d signed up for an online puppy training course I recommended and were committed to learning while socializing him as best they could. But now what?

I’ve given them a list of socialization activities they can do with Toto at home—between constant disinfecting, working from home, and supervising their school-age children—but he literally cannot leave their postage stamp of a yard until he’s cleared of giardia. And even then he will be considered high-risk until he’s completed a second vaccination schedule.

I recommended my friend get in touch with a certified behaviourist to start working out a proper socialization plan. He is very much open to receiving professional help and immediately reached out to the behaviourist who’s helping me with Peggy’s resource guarding. Love him for that. He lives thousands of miles away, but luckily many animal professionals are consulting remotely right now.

Is there anything else I can suggest?
This is helpful, thank you so much!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts