Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally started combing Zekefur’s top knot and ears out every day as his hair is getting so long. I’m just wondering if I am doing something wrong. It takes me at least half an hour to comb those out every day. I use both ends of the comb as I see little tiny knots can start each day if I don’t. I love how he looks when done, but is it supposed to take that long? He’s actually really patient with the whole process until I put the band in... he doesn’t like that much. At least I don’t have to do two any longer.

And second question: his hair seems so dry on his head and ears. It’s super fine (especially his top knot) And seems frizzy to me when I comb him. Should I be putting something on the hair? Is there such a thing as a conditioner to put on dry hair? I’ve wondered if it’s the lack of fat in his diet. Since he was sick last June the most fat his food contains is 6%.

Can someone please help me with this? I need advice and tips on how to make his head and ears healthier, although his ears aren’t that bad.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
You should be using a misting spray instead of just dry brushing? A dollop of conditioner in spray bottle of water will do the trick, you also can use leave in detangler too after bath.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
He looks so cute! I also like ShowSheen. One bottle will last you years and it’s great for defanging.
There are more expensive products out there, but I’m not sure they’re much different. They sell it at Tractor Supply but here it is on Amazon. It was originally formulated for horses but the label says dogs now too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He looks so cute! I also like ShowSheen. One bottle will last you years and it’s great for defanging.
There are more expensive products out there, but I’m not sure they’re much different. They sell it at Tractor Supply but here it is on Amazon. It was originally formulated for horses but the label says dogs now too.
I didn’t even think of this. I used to use it on my horse’s mane and tail (years ago). I have already ordered a leave in conditioner, but if that doesn’t work out I’ll give this a try. Great suggestion... thank you!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use showsheen as well--it works great and doesn't have a perfume-y smell. i also use Ice on Ice. Bonus is that using these she stays cleaner longer--dirt doesn't stick to her hair as readily. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everybody for the suggestions of ShowSheen. I did try the leave in conditioner I ordered, but since I started using it, his hair slips out of his bands really quickly. Could that possible be the conditioner! Also, will ShowSheen cause that to happen?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thank you everybody for the suggestions of ShowSheen. I did try the leave in conditioner I ordered, but since I started using it, his hair slips out of his bands really quickly. Could that possible be the conditioner! Also, will ShowSheen cause that to happen?
Pardon the delayed reply--just seeing this. I don't think Showsheen will cause that problem, at least, the hair isn't slippery when I use it.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pardon the delayed reply--just seeing this. I don't think Showsheen will cause that problem, at least, the hair isn't slippery when I use it.
Thanks! I’m about ready to try it. The leave in conditioner I tried ended up making his hair drier! And weighted down. Didn’t use much but the second time I used it it was horrible. I just had his hair dyed today and wondering if I need to wait awhile before applying showsheen. I’ll have that in a day or two.

Thank you so much for responding!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts