Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to shave ears not totally down, but with about a half inch of hair left? I’d like to be able to train tracking in brush but, the full length ears are seed collectors. In the paste I’ve shaved the ears way down (#10). This time I don’t want to go that short.

Second question is about how to clean a slicker brush. TIA.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure about the length. I've seen people do about 1/2" or so. I'm getting Leeroy a puppy cut today, where he'll be that length all over. I just can't do the constant brushing and he gets snow in his fur something awful.

As for a slicker brush, just use your fingers to go with the direction of the bristles if that makes sense... The fur will slide right off in a clump.

In other words... Opposite the direction the little wire bristles are pointing.

Hope that helps :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've used my clippers with a comb to cut my girls ears to about 3/4 inch but you have to be very careful not to catch the edges of the ear leather in the clipper comb teeth.

I sometimes clean the slicker with my fingers but it can be prickly so I just grab a dog comb and run it under the hair in the slicker from the edges, and lift, and it comes right out in a single mat.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a youtube video that shows how to do it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5VzRKbHyGk&t=503s
Thanks! This video is really useful. And the pros make it look so easy! His ears are blunt cut in this first photo, from about a month ago. The second is from when they were very short, and pretty simple to keep that way.

For brush cleaning, I was wondering if it’s okay to immerse the brush in water. Is the rubber part going to leak water through the pin holes? Is it okay to use soap? Or should I just wipe with a wet cloth?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts