Poodle Forum banner
141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I always feel they are not fully recovered till they have the energy to be naughty...
I think that’s exactly what she’s lacking. For example, she brought me one of my books yesterday instead of romping around with it gleefully.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
There's an Inconvenient Truth for you - you know you're poodle is happy when there's a mischievous glint in her eye...
Lol! Yes! They are such toddlers. Too quiet and something must be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
3,215 Posts
If you think about it, she just had a hysterectomy. Humans are normally recovering at home for two weeks at a bare minimum, usually longer. Feeling fully normal again takes a few months. Granted dogs usually heal faster than people, and she's dealing with all the mourning and emotional adjustment human females go through, but it's still major surgery.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
You have spent 14 days keeping her subdued and she’s a smart cookie so she’s continuing to be subdued.

I think in the next few days she should get back to normal as she feels better, starts exercising more and you aren’t watching and limiting her movements.

Reactions: fjm and Dechi

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
If you think about it, she just had a hysterectomy. Humans are normally recovering at home for two weeks at a bare minimum, usually longer. Feeling fully normal again takes a few months. Granted dogs usually heal faster than people, and she's dealing with all the mourning and emotional adjustment human females go through, but it's still major surgery.
Very true. It’s actually pretty remarkable how quickly they’re back up and moving around after a spay. Survival instincts, I’m sure.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
You have spent 14 days keeping her subdued and she’s a smart cookie so she’s continuing to be subdued.

I think in the next few days she should get back to normal as she feels better, starts exercising more and you aren’t watching and limiting her movements.
This is a good point. She was so good about being leashed all the time. It took her days to understand she was allowed to zoom around the backyard again.

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
Exactly. And it takes a little while to build stamina back up - think how quickly muscle tone falls after even just a few days in bed. I would try slowly increasing walks and play sessions, and inviting silliness by getting down on the floor in a play bow. It can have quite extraordinary results, if only by giving other humans present a giggle!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
Yay! Peggy's getting her bounce back!

·
Registered
8,644 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Can I just laugh that we are the sort of people who are HAPPY to find our dog standing on the table, because it means 'back to normal'.

I'm very glad to hear Peggy is returning to her normal Peggyish self.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Can I just laugh that we are the sort of people who are HAPPY to find our dog standing on the table, because it means 'back to normal'.

I'm very glad to hear Peggy is returning to her normal Peggyish self.
Lol yeah. If the poodle’s not up to something (or literally up on something), I’m always a little suspicious.

She’s still subdued today and I can’t figure out if it’s lethargy or just....maturity?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I haven’t been around for a few weeks so I’m just getting caught up on Peggy’s spay and recovery. I’m happy it’s over for you both but also sorry you’re concerned about her still. I think it’s just like what @cowpony said. It could be she needs to build her stamina back up.

Lacey was back to her normal by day 6 as far as having her sparkle and playful moments as before surgery. but she also was still sleeping more than usual and putting herself in her crate more than usual for at least 2 weeks after her surgery. Wanted more alone time to rest.
She still got her regular walks in the neighborhood (which is easier with such a small dog). so she might not have had as much loss of stamina as Peggy, who’s used to zooming around the yard every day a bit. Her incision was looking great from the pics you shared, very tidy and healing well.

Have you messaged/called your vet about your concern? Is it possible she might have a low hemoglobin level from blood loss during the surgery? That would take about 1-1.5 months to get back to normal, at least in humans, if that was the case.
Her recovery is probably still within normal of expected. She’s still eating, pooping, and peeing properly?

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
I haven’t been around for a few weeks so I’m just getting caught up on Peggy’s spay and recovery. I’m happy it’s over for you both but also sorry you’re concerned about her still. I think it’s just like what @cowpony said. It could be she needs to build her stamina back up.

Lacey was back to her normal by day 6 as far as having her sparkle and playful moments as before surgery. but she also was still sleeping more than usual and putting herself in her crate more than usual for at least 2 weeks after her surgery. Wanted more alone time to rest.
She still got her regular walks in the neighborhood (which is easier with such a small dog). so she might not have had as much loss of stamina as Peggy, who’s used to zooming around the yard every day a bit. Her incision was looking great from the pics you shared, very tidy and healing well.

Have you messaged/called your vet about your concern? Is it possible she might have a low hemoglobin level from blood loss during the surgery? That would take about 1-1.5 months to get back to normal, at least in humans, if that was the case.
Her recovery is probably still within normal of expected. She’s still eating, pooping, and peeing properly?
Thanks for checking in on Peggy. :) I’ve not called the vet because I wouldn’t really know what to say. It’s only been 3 weeks since her surgery. She’s eating fine. Drinking fine. Peeing, pooping, playing fine. Her incision looks fabulous and she never even required a cone or donut or surgical suit. She’s still up for walks and other outings. She even does her backyard zoomies.

She’s just....different.

My husband is starting to notice it, too, after initially brushing it off as normal healing stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
She’s still subdued today and I can’t figure out if it’s lethargy or just....maturity?
I can't give concrete examples, but at each birthday I notice that something changes with the boys. That may be all it is with Peggy.

It's too soon for the sex hormones to be fully reduced, so that's not a likely cause.

To give yourself a bit of peace of mind, call the vet and ask what might affect her physically post spay in this time frame. Don't forget to remind them that she turned two just the day before :).

141 - 160 of 170 Posts