Poodle Forum banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Today’s big activity has been “get the chew toy out of the sock.” An excellent stress-buster for cooped-up poodles.

She then directed all her frustrations at the sheepskin, before abruptly settling in for a snooze:

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
The incision looks to be healing beautifully. Perhaps start planning short walks for a week's time - building up 1/4 mile at a time has worked well for us in the past.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,093 Posts
Agreed, Peggy's healing marvelously.

Good to see her getting a lot of mileage out of the sheepskin and the chew toy. It's always so rewarding to receive immediate confirmation that you've gotten your money's worth :)

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
In some ways the second week is the hardest. They are feeling better, anesthesia usually has cleared, they are bored, restless and they don’t understand why they shouldn’t behave the way they want.

Her partI tummy is so cute and her incision looks great. Won’t be much longer.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Agreed, Peggy's healing marvelously.

Good to see her getting a lot of mileage out of the sheepskin and the chew toy. It's always so rewarding to receive immediate confirmation that you've gotten your money's worth :)
This sheepskin’s been great! I actually took the fluffy new one for myself and gave her my old one, but she doesn’t seem to mind. She’s been carrying it around everywhere today, using it for equal parts play and snoozing.

Entertaining for humans, too....

·
Registered
710 Posts
She's a doll. That incision is looking wonderful. If her hormones go whacko check out some dog cbd. Helped Boo Boo . She was an abnormality in this. Our university back home had seen it but it was 1 several years of spays. Our Tinkerbell never acted like she had the spay surgery.

I think you're doing great with Peggy. Very soon she will be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
She's a doll. That incision is looking wonderful. If her hormones go whacko check out some dog cbd. Helped Boo Boo . She was an abnormality in this. Our university back home had seen it but it was 1 several years of spays. Our Tinkerbell never acted like she had the spay surgery.

I think you're doing great with Peggy. Very soon she will be just fine.
The only unusual behaviour I’ve seen so far (which I suspect happened far too soon after her spay to be hormone-related) was “burying” a toy in her bed. She did it twice the day after surgery. She’s never done that before and hasn’t done it since. It was really quite endearing.

But I’ll keep Boo Boo’s success story in mind if things do go sideways.

We plan to do a happy visit at the vet’s office in a couple of weeks, to try and overwrite any scary associations that may have developed with those sights and smells. And we’ll continue our resource guarding protocol.

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
I love the Poodle in Sheep's Clothing! A happy vet visit sounds like a good idea - perhaps have a very special new toy ready for them to give to her?

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
3,215 Posts
Galen's neuter was when I taught him to ring a library bell with his paw. I didn't want to strain the incision with any kind of work that would require him to actively move around. Hitting the bell with his paw was mentally challenging while being physically easy. He could touch the bell while sitting or standing, whatever was more comfortable. Plus, when he was extra grumpy, he could send it flying with one swipe of a paw 😀

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Interesting you mention that @cowpony, as Peggy actually used her “Outside” button yesterday, a rare event. She has never had much use for it, as we take her out so regularly, but her toilet schedule’s gone a little wonky post-surgery. Was so funny hearing a little voice call “Outside!” from the front door.

Also funny picturing Galen taking a whack at his library bell. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Peggy’s shown little interest in her incision, but will sniff and lick carefully around it. Wondering if we should let her sleep in her crate tonight.... She gazes at it so longingly.

So far we’ve not let her spend the night out of our sight, but last night I let her go in for an hour and heard no licking. Just a very happy sleeping poodle. Hmmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Peggy says, “You can trust me. I swear. Just look at this face.

·
Registered
558 Posts
In the pic from yesterday, it looks like her skin is almost completely healed. Is it? If it is and she has left it alone thus far, I would probably let her sleep in her crate.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
In the pic from yesterday, it looks like her skin is almost completely healed. Is it? If it is and she has left it alone thus far, I would probably let her sleep in her crate.
It’s looking really good, but it’s a little raised and crusty:

0DE1BEBC-F94C-4DB5-99EE-0CBF765CDF36.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Her incision looked excellent today. Zero redness. I’m amazed! Our vet must have a magic touch.

Peggy has been keeping busy with her sheepskin, Bionic chew toy, and lots of short training sessions. She’s really been handling all this cooped-up-ness very well.

The only behaviour changes we’ve noticed so far is 1) she now refuses to pee before 2pm. 16.5 hrs after her last potty! No problems with poops. So bizarre.

And 2) she has been biting a bit. Not in an aggressive way. And not in a painful way. But four times now she’s very deliberately used her front teeth to communicate with both my husband and me. It’s very odd. Overall she’s actually been much meeker since the surgery. Will have to keep an eye on this.

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
I think the nibbling may be due to being cooped up and discouraged from bouncing. I would try to preempt it, asking her what she wants before she uses her teeth so that it doesn't become a habit, but I suspect it will fade once she is back to normal activity levels. Nearly there now!

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I think the nibbling may be due to being cooped up and discouraged from bouncing. I would try to preempt it, asking her what she wants before she uses her teeth so that it doesn't become a habit, but I suspect it will fade once she is back to normal activity levels. Nearly there now!
I think you’re right. She’s doing such a wonderful job dealing with her frustration. I can’t even believe it. But she’s really reminding me of a toddler lately, even more so than usual. She’s been very focused on communicating with us, especially when she wants to play and we’re not quite understanding the rules of whatever new game she’s devised.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Today is day 14 and Peggy was allowed out in the backyard without a leash. She didn’t run around as we’d expected. She checked her favourite sniff spots that she’d not been able to reach on-leash:

And then put herself back in her pen:

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
We’ve noticed a change in Peggy in the past week. I think it’s too soon to be considered a true temperament change. More likely the surgical experience combined with 14 days of enforced rest/deconditioning and continued healing?

She’s still using her mouth more, which we’re actively trying to discourage. But overall she’s much more meek. She wants to snooze more, gives up immediately rather than playing tug, curls up quietly in her bed while I make dinner instead of supervising, etc. Last night I started feeling a little worried, to be honest. She was just so subdued. I’m not sure this qualifies as lethargy, but she’s definitely not the same spicy poodle.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts