Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The decision to hold off on Peggy’s spay was guided by two things:

1. My desire to support her physical health by letting her mature as nature intended. This paid off tremendously when her vulva developed seemingly overnight and resolved her chronic vaginitis. Yay.

2. My fear of post-spay temperament changes.

And that brings us to today.

Peggy will be spayed on May 27th, and my fear that she’ll somehow get locked into her worst mental state persists. I’ve seen these mental states and they’re not pretty. For example, about 8 weeks after each heat she is prone to resource guarding. Has your dog ever guarded something from you with glazed eyes and a snarl? It’s horrible.

Of course, spaying her is more likely to be a good thing in Peggy’s case, as it will get her off this hormonal rollercoaster. But there are also peaks in her cycle that are pure joy. What if we never get to experience those peaks again?

I’ll be updating this thread periodically, in case others wish to follow along or have similar concerns. Most likely the surgery will go smoothly, the recovery will go smoothly, and Peggy will continue to be Peggy.

Oh how I love her...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I’ll follow along with you, and hope for a good outcome. It’s very reasonable to expect that all will go well. It is very nerve-wracking to have your baby go in for optional surgery, though, so I’m glad you’re reaching out for some support.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
good luck with Peggy's spay. I am confident it will all go well. I understand your apprehension of surgery. Honestly I've never had a dog change personality due to the procedure itself. For Renn a neuter and of course that is much simpler but I indeed had a lot of anxiety the first 3 days as I didn't like how it looked and kept taking pictures, lol but then suddenly all swelling and redness went down and he looked quite normal. I was hoping he would settle down some but it didn't happen. Everyone I've encountered said to me oh you will see a big difference after he is neutered. Nope. I hadn't seen it in other dogs I've had either. LOL The most difficult part is keeping them from jumping or running, which is why I was so glad he was still in his crate at that time. I couldn't imagine not having him crate trained and trying to keep a free roaming fellow quiet. We even took short walks on the leash in the yard. You may notice she may want to urinate a little more often the first few days. Not sure why but that happened with some of my females then all went back to normal.

·
Premium Member
24,371 Posts
I suggest you just relax and enjoy your girl without worrying about something over which you have no control. There are too many worries in life that are controllable. It is worth spending time on those things...

·
Registered
41 Posts
When my Daisy girl was spayed, I noticed zero changes. I too was put off by how the incision looked, but now you can't tell she had surgery.
Peggy is the cutest pood. Her eyes are full of expression - I wonder what's she's thinking here???????

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
(((hugs))) in my limited experience of three female poodles, none were changed by spay surgery.

As poodle parents you will be so scared during the surgery. Those first few days are the worst, concern about the incision, dealing with pain medication and keeping Peggy quiet so she heals quickly. This is a stressful time... best to try and go into this with a positive mindset.

You are well prepared and Peggy is in good health... hopefully she will have an uneventful spay and come out her normal self.

Reactions: ShamrockPoodle

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the sweet words, poodle friends. :) We’ve worked so hard to overcome those early concerns we had about Peggy’s social deficits and temperament. I’ve always found doggy surgeries nerve-wracking, but those worrisome early days with our girl have added another layer, for sure.

You may recall she growled at the vet as a very small puppy. That’s when the well-intentioned “You should return her to the breeder” messages started rolling in from all directions.

Well she now looooves the vet. That was quite a big accomplishment for us and for her! Wish we could protect her forever, but alas. I know this surgery is necessary and feel good about our reasons for doing it. Thanks as always for your wisdom and compassion and for just plain being there.

Here’s Peggy at her first vet visit, about to unleash terror upon the world. ;)

·
Registered
889 Posts
While I know there are differences between a neuter vs a spay, only one thing changed with Bobby and that was he stopped indoor marking...thank goodness! Other than that, nothing changed in his personality and he still loves to lift his leg outdoors! 😉 I was actually worried about personality changes as well so I was quite happy to see, once everything healed up, that he was just Bobby and I was even happy to see him lifting his leg
outdoors!🤣
I totally appreciate the the apprehension but you guys have done so well by her and I’m sure she’ll be in great hands on surgery day.
We’re here for you!

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
362 Posts
In my (rather small) "study group" of six* spayed bitches since the late 1970s, the only one where I might have to say that not all changes were for the better was Ilka, but she was already showing some temperament issues before she was spayed at nine months.

*Lemme make sure that's right....
Queeniey- Sheltie mix, late 70s
Spirit- ACD mix, late 70s
Gin- Doberman mix, late 80s
Ilka- mutt (or maybe coated Xolo)
Leo- GSD
Lily- APBT

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the only one where I might have to say that not all changes were for the better was Ilka, but she was already showing some temperament issues before she was spayed at nine months.
That’s the reason for my concern. Were the changes manageable in Ilka’s case?

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
362 Posts
That’s the reason for my concern. Were the changes manageable in Ilka’s case?
She was showing reactivity to random things and people when she was only four months old. Eventually, she reached the point of not liking most dogs or people, especially kids, since the neighborhood kids would tease my dogs. We managed her in that she didn't go to places like the pet supply store, and if we were out at a park or something, we left if kids or other dogs showed up. I was super surprised that it only took three months for me to trust her loose with Lily (who was nearly a year old when I got her).

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I think Peggy will be fine but I know I'd feel nervous too. Anything that messes with hormones (mine or a dog's) makes me nervous. But I think spaying is generally for the best, especially if it's done after the dog is mature. I view it as more of a necessity that has to be done at some point. I wouldn't want to risk pyometra and OSS would not be a great idea for me since I have a male that is hormonally intact. So if I get a female (I'm sure I will eventually) I'll also do a late spay. Most females seem to do very well with it. I think Peggy's had such a good foundation and had a chance to mature with all her hormones and so you shouldn't have much to worry about. You're making the choice that's best for her long term health.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I was feeling just like you were last July, Lacey having her spay 1 day before her birthday. It’s a very scary and sad feeling despite it being a routine surgery for dogs. I’m here for you, knowing exactly how you feel.
I honestly pushed the thought of it out of my head until the day before the spay. I wouldn’t have been able to deal with it if I thought about it too much beforehand. But it does help to commiserate with others who’ve went through it for sure.

Once it’s over with you’ll feel a huge weight off your shoulders. It’s something you know has been coming for a long time now, to have it done will be such a relief. I have no other experience with spay besides Lacey, but she did not have any behavioral changes at all after the spay. No worse, no better.
She was so tired and EXTRA alerty during her heat, so no more of that. But she does have those extra affectionate and lovey days though not to the extent of when she was on her cycle.

I also didn’t have any issue keeping her quiet for a couple weeks after the spay. Slow walks on a shorter leash with lots of sniffing to her hearts content was enough. She’d put herself in her crate to rest on her own throughout the day, especially the first week. Hopefully for a spoo those kind of walks will be enough. I know you’ll give her lots of other mental stimulation too.

Since you didn’t raise an adrenaline junkie, I think Peggy will do well with a quiet recovery that has plenty of mental stimulation. Since Peggy also likes her crate I bet you’ll find she uses it and appreciates it more than usual during her recovery!

·
Registered
15 Posts
How old is she? I’m waiting to get piper spayed as well. I want to hold off until she has at least two periods.

1. My desire to support her physical health by letting her mature as nature intended. This paid off tremendously when her vulva developed seemingly overnight and resolved her chronic vaginitis. Yay.

Peggy will be spayed on May 27th, and my fear that she’ll somehow get locked into her worst mental state persists. I’ve seen these mental states and they’re not pretty. For example, about 8 weeks after each heat she is prone to resource guarding. Has your dog ever guarded something from you with glazed eyes and a snarl? It’s horrible.

Of course, spaying her is more likely to be a good thing in Peggy’s case, as it will get her off this hormonal rollercoaster. But there are also peaks in her cycle that are pure joy. What if we never get to experience those peaks again?

I’ll be updating this thread periodically, in case others wish to follow along or have similar concerns. Most likely the surgery will go smoothly, the recovery will go smoothly, and Peggy will continue to be Peggy.

Oh how I love her...

View attachment 476850
[/QUO

Oh how I love her...

View attachment 476850
How old is Peggy? I am also waiting to spay mine until she has had at least two periods, not many people know about the benefits of waiting to spay so I was curious.

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How old is she? I’m waiting to get piper spayed as well. I want to hold off until she has at least two periods.
Heats are actually quite different from periods, but the blood can be misleading. :) Definitely do some research so you know what to expect with Piper’s.

I found the heats themselves surprisingly less challenging than about 8 weeks after, when pseudopregnancy hormones can kick in. Took me a while to understand that my girl’s possessive aggression was being caused by these hormonal fluctuations.

Peggy will be 2 years old on May 26th, and is being spayed the next day. She’s been through three heat cycles.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I will be checking in! I'm hoping that some of her behaviors will dissappear after getting spayed too. I am getting one of my back molars taken out the 26th. Please give Peggy pets for me!

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will be checking in! I'm hoping that some of her behaviors will dissappear after getting spayed too. I am getting one of my back molars taken out the 26th. Please give Peggy pets for me!
I hope the extraction went well!

·
Super Moderator
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Peggy went into the vet’s office at 8 this morning. I had my husband go without me, so my nerves wouldn’t affect her. She was, in his words, “In very high spirits!” Was happy to learn that owners are once again allowed in the clinic, so he was able to bring her in, weigh her (45 lbs!), and help get her acclimated. But I don’t think she really needed his help with that. :)

We should be getting a call around 2pm to pick her up. I’ll need to go along to keep her still.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts