Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my puppy on October 2, yay!!! I'm so excited :love:
Dog Carnivore Water dog Dog breed Companion dog Photograph Vertebrate Mammal Mesh Pet supply

Here's the beauty and her nearly ready nursery.

What do you think? Do I have everything I need for the first couple of weeks? I've got to make a divider for her crate to make her sleeping area smaller and move the crate so the enclosure works better with my floor protectors (triple layer, because I'm a heavy sleeper, lol). I've also ordered a couple of extra panels to close the gap.

She'll be very close to the deck door, so I can get her out to pee and poop quickly, but she'll also have an emergency toilet pan (got to cut the fake grass to fit the pan!).

And ... here's a question for anyone who uses sleepypod harnesses. I've tried emailing them to ask about the right size for a spoo, but they just replied with links to their sizing guides. What do you recommend? Small or medium for a 9-week old?

Dog Carnivore Water dog Dog breed Companion dog
Photograph Vertebrate Mammal Mesh Pet supply

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
How exciting! Looks like a pretty spoiled pup to me!

Not sure what you have not the floors, but its usually better to avoid soft surfaces which many pups think is an invitation to pee. My plan for the next puppy is a scrap of vinyl sheet flooring under the ex pen. I preferred an old towel for bedding to a bed - less to be destroyed, even that, I ended up removing as she decided it was a thing to drag out and pee on.

Lots of paper towels and enzyme cleaner. Maybe bitter apple/hot sauce for items you can't keep her from.

I liked a martingale collar for my girl, who liked to slip collars/harnesses. A leash - I got a 6' and a retractable and used both for different things. Not a 1" leash, a narrower/lighter one. And maybe a backup for when one gets chewed or lost. A name tag, with your phone number on it.

The same food the breeder uses - even if you plan to change, a small bag of the same stuff helps to minimize changes for the first week or two. Tiny treats - I liked small breed puppy food from a different brand, and bought a few sample sized packs for variety.

Looking forward to many more pictures when you get her home!

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Oh the waiting is so hard. Great setup for puppy.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Nice set up and good selection of toys.

I went to Home Depot and bought vinyl flooring to put under my pen. It protected my wood floor and was easy to clean up. Don’t leave any “fabric or carpet” like material in the main pen area. The grass filled potty pan area is a good idea because that’s a texture similar to outdoor grass.

I wouldn’t use a crate pan inside the crate for a new puppy. Old towels or fleece blankets are better, or nothing. Many puppies will chew, eat or potty on crate pads. In a few months as your puppy matures and you see how your puppy handles soft toys and potty training has been successful, you can decide if a crate pad is a good addition or if you need to wait till puppy is well past chewing and eating soft toys.

My oversized minipoos wear size small Sleepypod harnesses. I have the straps on the shortest length so there would be plenty of room for a growing puppy spoo but probably won’t fit an adult spoo. Sleepypod has a chart … measure around the chest and compare to their chart. I had to wait till my minipoos were full grown for them to hit the minimum measurement for size small. I’m not sure when a spoo puppy would fit.

Reactions: PowersPup

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Not sure what you have not the floors, but its usually better to avoid soft surfaces which many pups think is an invitation to pee. My plan for the next puppy is a scrap of vinyl sheet flooring under the ex pen. I preferred an old towel for bedding to a bed - less to be destroyed, even that, I ended up removing as she decided it was a thing to drag out and pee on.

Lots of paper towels and enzyme cleaner. Maybe bitter apple/hot sauce for items you can't keep her from.

I liked a martingale collar for my girl, who liked to slip collars/harnesses. A leash - I got a 6' and a retractable and used both for different things. Not a 1" leash, a narrower/lighter one. And maybe a backup for when one gets chewed or lost. A name tag, with your phone number on it.

The same food the breeder uses - even if you plan to change, a small bag of the same stuff helps to minimize changes for the first week or two. Tiny treats - I liked small breed puppy food from a different brand, and bought a few sample sized packs for variety.
Omg!!!! A name tag!! I totally forgot, silly me lol!

I've got the enzyme cleaner, the bitter apple and two narrow leather leashes (which I wouldn't have known to get if our local training club hadn't asked for them!).

Vinyl sheet flooring. Thanks, thanks, thanks. Off to Lowes/Home Depot I go.

You may be asking for trouble there 😀. I'm so silly about this puppy 😂

·
Registered
43 Posts

Great Set Up!!! Your poodle is starting off with a great life.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice set up and good selection of toys.

I went to Home Depot and bought vinyl flooring to put under my pen. It protected my wood floor and was easy to clean up. Don’t leave any “fabric or carpet” like material in the main pen area. The grass filled potty pan area is a good idea because that’s a texture similar to outdoor grass.

I wouldn’t use a crate pan inside the crate for a new puppy. Old towels or fleece blankets are better, or nothing. Many puppies will chew, eat or potty on crate pads. In a few months as your puppy matures and you see how your puppy handles soft toys and potty training has been successful, you can decide if a crate pad is a good addition or if you need to wait till puppy is well past chewing and eating soft toys.

My oversized minipoos wear size small Sleepypod harnesses. I have the straps on the shortest length so there would be plenty of room for a growing puppy spoo but probably won’t fit an adult spoo. Sleepypod has a chart … measure around the chest and compare to their chart. I had to wait till my minipoos were full grown for them to hit the minimum measurement for size small. I’m not sure when a spoo puppy would fit.
Thanks to you and to For Want of Poodle for the vinyl floor suggestion! Nothing like you guys for good advice. Thanks, thanks, thanks! 💖

The crate doesn't have a solid floor, just the pan over the metal grating. What would you think if I insert it upside down? That way the towel sits on a smooth flat surface. (That green thing is a very old towel).

I may wait to order the harness until I have her here. The handler (who is the teenage niece of the breeder) says that at 7 weeks she's 8 lbs 7 oz and 8" around her chest, which is a lot smaller than what I remember two weeks ago. I have to wonder how she measured her. In the meantime, I think I can handle (???) our pee and poopy outings with the collar and leash.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Skylar meant crate pad. :) You definitely want something in the bottom of the crate.
Oooh, ok, yeah, I was trying to figure out how to make the towel sit on a smooth surface. I've made interesting typos like that, that take us down unexpected paths.

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
She’s a spoo? Just a warning that she’s going to outgrow that crate within a few months, maybe less. Do you have another one ready to go?

Here’s a pic of puppy Peggy’s set-up:

Wood Shade Floor Curtain Flooring

That was her second crate (36”) which she outgrew a few months later. Lol. Her third (and final!) crate is 48” and she still is very comfortable in there.

As for being a deep sleeper and worrying about accidents, I’d recommend setting an alarm to proactively take her out for a middle-of-the-night potty. You can then slowly push that alarm later and later until she’s sleeping through the night. The sleepier she is when you wake her, the faster you can progress. This way you’re always calling the shots when it comes to wake-up times.

And I’d not have an indoor toilet for her unless absolutely necessary due to long-term confinement during the day. My approach? Keep things simple. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure what you have not the floors, but it's usually better to avoid soft surfaces which many pups think is an invitation to pee. My plan for the next puppy is a scrap of vinyl sheet flooring under the ex pen. I preferred an old towel for bedding to a bed - less to be destroyed, even that, I ended up removing as she decided it was a thing to drag out and pee on.
The grey surface is a repurposed inflatable mattress that loses air due to the tiniest puncture. I separated the top and the bottom so it would be easy to lay flat and use it for picnics. The beige surface is a whelping pad. I'll use them for playtime and command training

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yeah, youll outgrow that crate quickly in around 2 months tho. No worries. It looks like you have enough to get you through the first few weeks. You can always stop by the pet store for things you might have forgot.

You can always carry puppy like a football until she gets bigger.

Do you have your first vet appt scheduled?

(I might have asked this in the past, I forgot, it's normally my first go-to quesiton for new poodle parents)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She’s a spoo? Just a warning that she’s going to outgrow that crate within a few months, maybe less. Do you have another one ready to go?

Here’s a pic of puppy Peggy’s set-up:

View attachment 481700

That was her second crate (36”) which she outgrew a few months later. Lol. Her third (and final!) crate is 48” and she still is very comfortable in there.

As for being a deep sleeper and worrying about accidents, I’d recommend setting an alarm to proactively take her out for a middle-of-the-night potty. You can then slowly push that alarm later and later until she’s sleeping through the night. The sleepier she is when you wake her, the faster you can progress. This way you’re always calling the shots when it comes to wake-up times.

And I’d not have an indoor toilet for her unless absolutely necessary due to long-term confinement during the day. My approach? Keep things simple. :)
Wow. My starter is 29". I have another one, 42", waiting in her next bedroom, which will be next to the door to the yard. I was lucky two friends were giving theirs away, so I didn't have to spend on either. I just need to make dividers so they're never too large.

The alarm clock is a great idea. As well as me calling the shots, lol. I have a good friend whose dog runs the household like a tyrant. Lovely, sweet dog, but I'd rather have it the other way around.

I'll remove the emergency potty -- but keep it just in case it snows before she's learned to hold her pee through the night.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, youll outgrow that crate quickly in around 2 months tho. No worries. It looks like you have enough to get you through the first few weeks. You can always stop by the pet store for things you might have forgot.

You can always carry puppy like a football until she gets bigger.

Do you have your first vet appt scheduled?

(I might have asked this in the past, I forgot, it's normally my first go-to quesiton for new poodle parents)
Yes. I pick her up on Saturday, October 2 and take her to the vet the following Friday. I got a long list of questions ready.

We start in-person classes on Saturday, October 23 (the first and pretty much only available --most dog training classes here have closed down due to covid).

·
Registered
922 Posts
Phoebe at 5.5 months old has to duck her head now to fit in the 42” crate, so you have an idea of how fast they grow! I really need to figure out how to configure my room to fit the 48” crate we have.
Alternatively, I’ve always followed my dogs letting me know if they need to potty at night. I’m not waking a sleeping puppy, and it has never been a problem.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
Phoebe at 5.5 months old has to duck her head now to fit in the 42” crate, so you have an idea of how fast they grow! I really need to figure out how to configure my room to fit the 48” crate we have.
Alternatively, I’ve always followed my dogs letting me know if they need to potty at night. I’m not waking a sleeping puppy, and it has never been a problem.
I wholeheartedly agree with doing whatever works best for you and your household! @Asterix, you’ll quickly figure out what works best for you. Once you do, just be consistent.

With my chronic illnesses, sleep is super precious and I wake up with a huge jolt of adrenaline. I needed to stick to a routine for my health and sanity.

The three times Peggy has woken us up in the past two years, it was for urgent poop. 🙈

·
Registered
53 Posts
She is soooo pretty. Good luck with your new girl!

This might be a no-brainer for some of the more seasoned people here, but have chew toys on hand. My girl is very, very mouthy since she's teething. My vet said frozen baby carrots are a good teething snack. I just got her a new chew toy today as well and she LOVES it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I second the idea of removing soft surfaces from the puppy's area so she doesn't accidentally learn that it's OK to pee/poop on them. We also used a scrap of sheet vinyl under Topper's puppy area and had no crate pads. You may want to add a Snuggle Puppy, which has a warming unit and heartbeat that can be calming for a new puppy. We put it next to Topper's crate when we put him to bed or down for naps when he was little.

Otherwise, your set-up looks great! How exciting!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts