Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That my little Elphie is some sort of "labradoodle" mix?
her coat texture look and consistency is NOTHING like any standard poodle puppy that I have ever seen

I rushed into buying a standard poodle because I absolutely ADORE the breed but I wish I had maybe waited a little bit longer and done alot more research on the person i bought my sweet little girl from

I don't currently have any papers on Elphie and I'm starting to think they're might not be any papers available
I saw the father and mother when I went and picked her up and I thought that the mother was just a shaggy st. poodle ((The father I know is a 'pure bred' I've already contacted AKC about him)) but looking at this photo of "casey" the mom I'm not sure if shes a St. Poodle or some kind of poodle mix

I would greatly appreciate your opinions and or advice

the first photos is one of the better shots I have of Elphies full body of hair
and the 2nd is of her mother

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
That my little Elphie is some sort of "labradoodle" mix?
her coat texture look and consistency is NOTHING like any standard poodle puppy that I have ever seen

I rushed into buying a standard poodle because I absolutely ADORE the breed but I wish I had maybe waited a little bit longer and done alot more research on the person i bought my sweet little girl from

I don't currently have any papers on Elphie and I'm starting to think they're might not be any papers available
I saw the father and mother when I went and picked her up and I thought that the mother was just a shaggy st. poodle ((The father I know is a 'pure bred' I've already contacted AKC about him)) but looking at this photo of "casey" the mom I'm not sure if shes a St. Poodle or some kind of poodle mix

I would greatly appreciate your opinions and or advice

the first photos is one of the better shots I have of Elphies full body of hair
and the 2nd is of her mother
I am not sure could you get more pictures of her out side ? her color looks unusual to me

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I can take some tomorrow I'm going to give her a bath tonight to take up to the pet store tomorrow for my moms friend to do her nails
so I'll post a few more photos of her then

Her colour is a little odd to me too ((don't get me wrong I love the weirdness of it)) but I like it
in our house you can't tell she has any brown fur until she stands next to our lab/poodle mix and you can see the contrast
but outside its like the top half of her body is darker brown then the lower

what about the mother? Does she look like a "labradoodle"?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
yeah I can take some tomorrow I'm going to give her a bath tonight to take up to the pet store tomorrow for my moms friend to do her nails
so I'll post a few more photos of her then

Her colour is a little odd to me too ((don't get me wrong I love the weirdness of it)) but I like it
in our house you can't tell she has any brown fur until she stands next to our lab/poodle mix and you can see the contrast
but outside its like the top half of her body is darker brown then the lower

what about the mother? Does she look like a "labradoodle"?
Both the mom and Elphie look like poodles , but like purple poodle said she looks like she is either sable or brindle? we wont be able to tell if she is mixed because she is still young. Maybe as she gets older we can see some differences. If you are that worried you can do a DNA test to see what her back ground is http://www.dnabreedid.com/

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really mind if she isn't pure bred or registered those 2 things don't effect the dog that I've grown to love with all my heart in my opinion ((lol I know if it didn't bother me I wouldn't have posted this thread XD )).

I just hate the feeling that I was swindled, the thought that someone took complete advantage of my love of this breed makes me nauseous
If I could obtain the AKC paperwork of the mother and father AKC told me it wouldn't be difficult to have her registered...I know I sound obsessed with that
but I feel like it might exonerate the breeder from any wrong doing because my mom is very angry with her and I don't feel like she should be
I don't feel like its my place to say she did this and this and this wrong when I did just as many things wrong not doing more homework

I really appreciate your guys input on the matter though ^_^
and I'll have those photos tomorrow =]]

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
If you are that worried you can do a DNA test to see what her back ground is http://www.dnabreedid.com/
I had my mixed breed, Hannah, DNA identified through the MARS Wisdom Panel. They identified 6 breeds plus some other DNA markers that were too faint to identify! I've had people on other forums bash me for "wasting" my money on a DNA test when I could've used it to to help homeless animals... Whatever... it was MY money to spend and I'm glad to know what lurks inside my Hannah-banana!! Besides - if I could have back all the $$ and time I donated/gave/spent towards the plight of homeless animals, I'd retired on some tropical island!!

My vet told me that the test isn't geared towards purebred dogs, however... She had an adopted black lab(?) who her husband (also a vet) thought was a purebred lab, but Dr. Amy thought was a lab/weim cross... After I got Hannah's results back, Dr. Amy sent in her dog's DNA and found out he was a lab/weim cross!!!! So she could tell Dr. Mark, "I told you so!!!" :)

OK, Keith... after that whole story, I'd have to say to my unexpert eye; both Elphie and her mom look "Poodle"... It does seem like Elphie's coat is sort of straighter and silkier looking than Lucy's, but Meau's coat was different than Lucy's, too - and she's a purebred...

I'd say time will tell (or maybe your "breeder" will step up and get your papers to you!!) Either way, Elphie is gorgeous and obviously well-loved!! Enjoy her!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually think my own vanity v.v; is what is sort of holding me back from believing shes 100% poodle either vanity or ignorance not sure
I've never seen a poodle with as straight of hair as elphie's only when she gets soaking wet from playing in the rain does her hair curl but its like...wavy curly I dunno to me thats what was weird xD

Its kind of funny that you all mentioned she looks brindled my mom swears up and down shes a Brindle poodle...but again I've never seen a brindle poodle so my paranoia goes rampant

I wouldn't mind paying to have the DNA testing done, just to quell again my own paranoia...I just really hope she is so I don't look as stupid as I was
and again thank you all for your advice ^_^

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh and if there happen to be brindles she might very well be one if its a genetic thing her father was a grey and white parti coloured poodle ((the lady "specializes" in parti poodles))

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
There are, in fact, brindle poodles... My daughter performed a rescue last December - found a year old, neutered male standard poodle for giveaway on the local on-line classifieds. The owners could no longer care for him due to health issues of the man of the house... He was hooked to a chain instead of having a fenced yard or being taken for walks...

I tracked down the breeder (who is from Texas) and she said he was a brindle... She sold him to a man here in town, who then sold him to the family from whom we got him. A woman I work with and her husband adopted him (which made it his third home in less than one year not counting the breeder and us as his foster home) and are over the moon for him! Love him to pieces!! His breeder had named him Moose, but his 1st owners named him Dolce and that has stuck...

Here are pictures of him as a baby (which I got from the breeder), one of the day Katy got him from the previous owners and the last one is after she had him groomed... His breeder said he's a brindle, but I wonder about all the white when he was a baby - not sure if there is such a thing as brindle/parti??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The way his hair looks in the 2nd photo is what Elphie's hair looks like...could it be bad grooming habits on my end that her hair looks like that?

But thats absolutley fascinating I had no idea there were brindle poodles I'm glad to hear that boy found a fantastic home though
and now I'm going to google brindle/sable poodles lol

((on a side note I actually went out looking for a young to young adult st. poodle to adopt I didn't like the idea of buying from a breeder but I could never find one remotley close to me))

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
She looks like a poodle to me just a different color. As she gets older she will change colors. Just like a blue will look black when they are born but change to a bluish color or even some have a reddish hue to their coats. When you shave her face you will be able to see more clearly.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She hasn't changed her color since I got her so hopefully she doesn't xD
I really like the oddness of her shade of chocolate

I found a lady who is selling brindle toy poodles and she posted a photo of a toy puppy and then a photo of what the puppy would look like once fully grown
and I have to say...I find it hard to believe it v.v;

"Brindle Puppy (brown with black tipping. Usually turns apricot with black on ears)"
is what she had on her site under the photo of the pup and then the adult was an example

do you guys think thats possible?

Because if Elphie is this dark now...I find it REALLY hard to believe shes going to fade to a cream colour :|

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Look at the pictures that plumcrazy posted. See how dark that puppy is and how light it faded out to? It's possible I guess. I think it's incredible that they can change so much. I know nothing about these off colors and very little about genetics of colors and the fading gene.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did see that in Plumcrazy's post
so maybe its possible
but I feel like looking at elphie who will be 6mo November 17th that she may lighten quite abit I just don't think it'll be as dramatic as that...
if that makes sense v.v;

Her litter came out all different colours so maybe she is brindled, she had a brother who came out a redish brown colour and was beautiful and then she had siblings that are probably blues now but she was the only pup that was chocolate looking
=]

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
When Katy picked Meau out of the litter, she was dark, dark brown... She didn't have the interesting variations that Elphie has, but she was very dark chocolate. She is now just over a year old (birthday was 9/23) and she is liberally sprinkled with white!!! She isn't as light as Dolce, but she's definitely changing colors!

As we have said at our house, many times... we know that poodle coats can and many times DO change as they get older/mature... As long as our pups are happy and healthy, we don't care if they turn GREEN!! :)

Katy would've loved it if Meau stayed dark, but it looks like she'll probably end up a version of a silver/brownish color... I love my Lucy's firey red coat, but if she lightens up (which she may) I won't love her a smidgen less!!

Hope you stay with the forum as Elphie matures! I'm very interested to see how she'll turn out (and hopefully she'll stay the same beautiful color she is now!!) :)

Here's Meau at 4 weeks and at 8-9 weeks... I don't have anything current, but I'll try to get some so you can see the transformation...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Keith have you ever seen a silver before it's first cut? It looks solid black. Then they get their first cut and their nose is grey. I don't think they finish clearing until they are what (someone would have to help me here) 2 or so?? By then you get variations but the result is 180 degrees from what they started. Poodles are the most interesting thing when it comes to coats. The textures and the colors are so fascinating.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awwh Meau is so sweet looking =]]
I'm with you though her colour doesn't matter to me ^_^ she could be bald and I'd still love her tons

the way elphies coat looks is what I was actually curious about...and its what made me think she was a "labradoodle" lol

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Na I'd say she's a poodle. When her puppy coat goes you will be able to tell better. When they are fluffy and shaggy sometimes it's hard to not mistake them for mixes.:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts