Poodle Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
The prices do stay lower I think when you sign them up young. And it does vary by breed. My three are less than that a month. And let me tell you, around here you could spend way more than $4,700 on one weeks hospitalization...
I think when I looked into it when Lily and Peeves were young it was going to have been about $120/month for the two of them and I have no doubt that if you start a policy for a puppy that the rates go up slower than indicated by the prices for Lily and Peeves if I started them now, but at the time saving for problems seemed more sensible for our situation. I also have the option of either doing paid substitute teaching or taking on an extra private or two to pay for things like the bill for Lily this week.

Reactions: Tiny Poodles

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I think when I looked into it when Lily and Peeves were young it was going to have been about $120/month for the two of them and I have no doubt that if you start a policy for a puppy that the rates go up slower than indicated by the prices for Lily and Peeves if I started them now, but at the time saving for problems seemed more sensible for our situation. I also have the option of either doing paid substitute teaching or taking on an extra private or two to pay for things like the bill for Lily this week.

That is nice to be able to get extra work whenever you need it!

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Reactions: Tiny Poodles

·
Registered
445 Posts
That IS good you can take on extra work if you need to! I mean, there could be any number of reasons you may choose to do that...a special trip you want to take, something extravagant that you suddenly want, or even semi-retirement in the future. I still plan on having a table at the farmers' market as my extra income when I retire. Organic eggs are very very popular right now, especially those who have different coloured eggs (lavender and brown are very popular right now and look so nice when mixed with white eggs), but also I by chance found a new little opportunity! Plants are very popular at our farmers' market; bedding plants in the spring, and house plants any time. I love succulents, and on a recent seaside holiday I decided to bring back some succulents with me as a little reminder of our time there. A couple of leaves fell off, so i watered them, and presto! Little tiny succulents are growing up from the leaves! So I thought, what if I just kept propagating them all winter long, more and more, and sold tiny little succulents in cute tiny ceramic pots (which one can buy in the dollar store for $1) in the spring? If I asked $5 each, that would be a healthy profit. All I'd need to do is keep a steady supply of babies growing at all times. And heaven knows, I have the room since most of my kids have grown up and moved out. Oh and another thing...I tried that peach confit recipe on the Health & Weight Loss thread..DELICIOUS!! Then I made peach, grapefruit and lemon marmelade, also really good. (I love canning; now that the kids have mostly moved out I still enjoy it, but have many less mouths to feed!) I am thinking about making 1/2 pint jars of beautiful organic marmelade with local honey instead of sugar, putting a pretty little cloth and raffia top on them, and selling those for $5 each too. The work involved is minimal and fun, and the farmers' market here is only 3 hours long each week with a very robust customer base.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts