Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it's certainly going to be a few years until I'm really ready to own a dog, but I thought I might as well start getting an idea of the rough monthly costs of dog ownership.

I seek the input of all dog owners here. How much, say monthly or yearly to make it nice and neat, does your pet and all the fixings cost you? If you could list a ballpark on certain expenses and note the size of dog, I would just be over the moon.

I am a bit innocent on the matter, having never had a dog. The only pet I pay for totally costs me $24 a month until she grows and needs different food. No treats, toys, leashes or vet bills. Other than that, it is just water, paper towels for bedding, and empty boxes to sleep in. A little bit different from a dog!

I have looked at some articles on the cost of basic husbandry and vet bills but some people in the comments seem to have a bone to pick with their numbers so I'd love to hear it straight from the many sources!

I'd also like to know what dog-specific costs I'm missing. Past early gotcha-type supplies (bowls, crate, that kind of thing), what am I forgetting? There's always something

Food, pet insurance, treats and chews, grooming, cute accessories...

Emergency vet bills, yearly checkups, heartworm and flea preventatives (do you use them in cold states?) puppy classes, obedience classes, testing for CGC, etc.

Then other things that are considered not necessarily mandatory but would be fun or enriching: Showing (not sure I'd do it myself because of personal shyness but I'd love to hear about it!), agility/rally, special classes like that.

Phew! Having a small python is so much easier

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Poodles are expensive, however, grooming yourself saves a bundle, I have 3 toys and it is 55 each per month. Then every 2 weeks I trim or take to have the face and feet trimmed that is 24 per dog. So in a month each dog cost 79. I do not keep tract of my cost but shots, physicals (do not have pet insurance). This month my bill was 1010. Blood test every year runs 180 per dog. Tick and flea is very expensive140 for 6 months. This is not food, treats, clothing. Dogs are expensive but worth it, and I do not travel ( as I could lose a lot of money due to my career if out of town) so I figure that is where my money goes.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Puppies and elderly dogs are expensive. Young and middle-aged dogs less so. Before I get into costs, think how much you save! A great deal of entertainment is built into your household. Lots of your exercise is free -- walking. You will probably not want to travel quite as much.

Food: depends on what you feed. We do premium here, it costs me about $100 per month for about 1.25 large bags of Acana, plus about 5 cans of dog food.

Medical care: where I live, Pericles' insurance is about $350 per year. Jupiter who is senior does not have insurance. I spend about $650 per year at the vet for Pericles (shots, titers, minor ailments, frontline, heartguard) and about $2000 for Jupiter (two check ups, shots, blood work, three medications, frontline, heartguard, other visits and problems).

Grooming: Both my dogs are groomed every three weeks. Pericles is on a schedule where he gets a full groom every other visit, and face/feet/tail the other. Jupiter gets done what they can (he doesn't stand for long, and it depends on how he's feeling). Each visit is about $140 total, plus tip.

Day care: Pericles goes to day care a few times a month, depending on weather (if it's very hot, or steadily raining) or if I'm having work done in the house. Cost is $400 for 20 visits, about half of what it was in the New York area. Say $800 per year.

Kenneling: $75 for both of them per night, includes day care.

Training: I am training with a friend, and on my own, after basic puppy training was done.

Plus toys, collars, crates, combs, etc.

When I moved to my new house, had a fence built -- $$$$.

Now I see where my money goes! It's close to $8000 per year. This is for two dogs, one of whom (Pericles) is big and active, and the other, Jupiter, senior. Clearly I could save a lot by grooming myself, feeding less expensive food, and not taking Pericles to day care.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
A lot of cost depends on where you live. I live in an urban city in Canada.

Monthly:
Food: Raw $40-50 (23 lb poodle)
Treats/toys: Barkbox subscription ~$20, additional bully sticks/chews ~$20-30
Grooming: DIY $0
Poop bags: $3 for 160 bags from the dollar store

Yearly:
Vet: $200-300 (yearly check up, heart worm test, flea/tick preventative meds)
Training classes: 6-8 week course ~$180-250

Additional buys:
Winter coat: $60+
Boots: $10-60+
Unnecessary new collars/harnesses/leashes: $20-60+

Boarding/dog sitting/dog walking are really expensive. I'm fortunate enough to have my parents as dog sitters/boarders, and I am able bodied, and have a work schedule that does not require me to hire a dog walker. I don't think I could afford a dog walker or daycare every day.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have two ~60 dogs (a spoo and a doodle)

Monthly Cost:
$60 Food (I feed a combination of EVO and raw)
$65 pet insurance
$20 miscellaneous (treats, cute toys, etc)

If I were to pay a groomer, it would be about $70 a dog every 6 weeks. I groom them myself and save over $1000 a year.

I alternate taking them to classes every 6 weeks, and each class is about $90

I buy flea, tick, and heartworm preventative online for about $200 a year

vet visits are $45 each, but now that they're past puppy stage this cost only occurs once a year or in emergencies (like my Piper's mouth warts :p )

vaccines will be about $60 a year (or so says my vet when I phoned yesterday)

dog park yearly membership is about $45 for two dogs

sometimes I'll send them to daycare if I'm going to have a long day - that's $40 a day for them both. Overnight kenneling (different facility) is $38 a night. So a week long vacation for me costs an extra $266. I don't vacation often :p

I should tally up everything I've spent in the year+ since I got my pups. I'm sure I'd blow my own mind haha

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all SO much for your responses! This is all supremely helpful. I see that boarding/sitting/daycare is a huge, huge cost that I had overlooked. I don't know how I could have missed that... I babysat (petsat??) for two different households this month!

Picture of my latest client because he's a sweet boy and every thread needs cute pup pics

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
I have three large dogs, 2 spoos and a German Shepherd dog, and can't really break out my costs to per dog just now, but here you go.

Food: $110/4 weeks

Treats: $30-60/month

Flea tick heart worm prevention for all three for the year about $900.

For me grooming is zero other than conditioners and shampoos, but about $800 dollars to acquire all of the tools and equipment (over time).

Regular vet bills for all three about $600 per year (with a discount from my vet for multiple animals brought in together).

I don't have external insurance, but maintain an emergency fund for all household and veterinary and automotive issues of over $12,000 on average.

Training expenses: although I train for free at my club (where I also teach) I do have private obedience and private agility trainers who are $70/hour.

Trials and travel expenses related to them, probably about $5-6000 per year.

Miscellaneous expenses: probably $300/year.

Since I am a trainer and to be a trainer you have to have dogs to practice on (they are effectively equipment for the business) many of these costs are business expenses (equipment maintenance) for me. Otherwise I would not be able to afford everything I do. In addition to training with Lily I also use her as a neutral dog for dogs who need exposure below threshold to other dogs. Her boundary zone is pretty close in to her so she never goes over threshold before the dog that I am working on.

Reactions: someday

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm probably on the cheaper end of poodle ownership but some of it is lifestyle, some good luck, and some of it is lack of services that I would spend a mint on, were they available to me and the two standard poodles I own :)

Food: Acana, $100/month
Vets: $80/year
Grooming: $80/year
Toys: $50/year

The vet cost is so cheap because the poodles are de-wormed every year or so and our vet gives them a checkup then, but they are on a minimal vaccine protocol and thankfully they're extremely healthy. I groom them myself, but did invest in some good equipment early on and take good care of the equipment. The $80 is for a new blade now and then. I do have about 15 blades to have sharpened though, which I just keep putting in a box until I get around to mailing them away; I just keep buying a new #30 blade when my other ones gets dull, ha,ha. Now, IF we had a groomer, agility club, a doggie daycare or dog play centre in town for sure my costs would be a lot higher!! But alas we do not, not even a dog walker, so I save all kinds of money in things I can't take the poodles to, lol. Same as Lily, I don't have pet insurance and instead I keep a savings account for emergencies but have never had to use it for the poodles, so at the end of every year I put the excess into an investment account for fun stuff.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
I have two toy dogs, only one is a poodle. Costs here in the rural UK are probably very different to the US, but thinking about total spend if I only had one dog:
One off and occasional costs
Grooming equipment - I do it myself - set up cost £250/$325, monthly costs minimal, time about 5 hours a month
Crate for the car, bedding, collar, leash, etc £50/$68
Boarding, when occasionally needed, £20/$27 a night

Per month
Insurance (highly recommended for a puppy/young dog, especially until you have built up a good cushion in a savings account) £36/$48
Food - raw/home cooked - £6/$8
Routine vet visits, annual/12 - £6/$8
Tooth stuff - £6/$8
Treats, toys, collars, leads - £6/$8
Petrol and car expenses for walks etc, 300 miles @ £0.20 a mile, £60/$80

For a puppy you would need to factor in training classes (around £6/$8 an hour here), more toys and chews, possibly pee pads, and damage to your property.

Reactions: someday

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Spoos are one of the most expensive breeds you can own! You are wise to look at the financials ahead of time!

Here are some of the first year expenses:

-her purchase price ($3K w/travel)
-insurance ($600)
-food ($360)
-collars and leashes and tag ($100)
-crates ($120)
-bully sticks ($1,800)
-poop bags ($20)
-grooming ($900)
-training and testing ($250)
-vet bills ($2,000)
-flea pills ($180)
-spay ($350)
-toys ($300)
-boarding ($180)
-miscellaneous ($500)

In her second year, her bully stick bills and grooming costs are going down, but I bought a house with yard for her, and I'm buying another spoo, who is for me, but also kind of for her LOL

Showing in AKC is very expensive, but if it is your dream, you should go for it! I have found people in poodles to be very nice. I hear showing in UKC is very fun and much more relaxed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Spoos are one of the most expensive breeds you can own! You are wise to look at the financials ahead of time!

-her purchase price ($3K w/travel)

-insurance ($600)

-food ($360)

-collars and leashes and tag ($100)

-crates ($120)

-bully sticks ($1,800)

-poop bags ($20)

-grooming ($900)

-training and testing ($250)

-vet bills ($2,000)

-flea pills ($180)

-spay ($350)

-toys ($300)

-boarding ($180)

-miscellaneous ($500)

In her second year, her bully stick bills and grooming costs are going down, but I bought a house with yard for her, and I'm buying another spoo, who is for me, but also kind of for her LOL

Showing in AKC is very expensive, but if it is your dream, you should go for it! I have found people in poodles to be very nice. I hear showing in UKC is very fun and much more relaxed.

This is great feedback! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,207 Posts

-bully sticks ($1,800).
Thise must be really serious bully sticks!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Thise must be really serious bully sticks!
I spent a lot on the local pet store bully sticks ($8/ea.) before ordering them online and saving a bit. Now I give the kids cow ears instead, as they are much less expensive. Bullies are a special treat!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I budgeted $100 a month for Ginger and that took care of food, toys amd grooming although I did the face and feet and butt myself in between grooming and I found a great groomer who charged 43.20. always had friend stay with her when on vacation. always wanted to take her to cape cod and never got the chance - our timeshare doesnt allow dogs. so many restirctions on beaches etc she probably would have been miserable anyway.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think what you really want to consider is grooming expense. It is really the only constant besides food. Every dog has yearly vet checks and most owners will explore some sort of training which can range from $15 to $20,000.00 depending on what you want from your dog. Everything else is gravy. Toys,beds and all the other fluff all dogs can live with out. SO its really up to you and what you want and are looking for to decide what your costs will be. As for the grooming I can speak for anyone but us but I pay $60 dollars every 6 weeks and I have heard a million times over that $60 dollars for grooming a standard is unheard of so God bless my groomer!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Here's an idea of what we spend on Hans (46lb standard):
Food: $50-100 every 6 weeks (he gets 1/2 kibble and 1/2 homemade raw, but the cost of the raw varies a bit depending on what people give me and what sales I find). It's definitely possible to feed a dog for less, but it's also possible that your dog could need some sort of special diet and that could cost more.

Insurance: $30 per month

Flea/Heartworm meds: $120 per 6 month supply - we are in FL so he gets them year round

Vet: around $150 - $200 for annual checkup, heartworm test, shots, etc. The first year was more, due to the multiple visits for puppy shots.

Chews and treats: $30 - $50 or so per month

Grooming: I groom him, but I've probably spent $600-$700 on supplies (table, dryer, brushes, clippers, etc) over the past 3 years

Training: we haven't done formal classes, but Hans is a retriever. I've easily spent $1000+ on retreiving stuff, not counting my guns and ammunition (I had those anyway)

Toys: Most of his toys have been given to him by dog loving family members. He doesn't chew up his stuffed toys and still has the ones he got as a puppy so I rarely buy him toys. I have spent $100 or so on toys for other dogs, because he loves to destroy toys that don't belong to him when we visit friends/family that have dogs (he's a brat).

We have not had to board him because he can stay with my parents. He either goes to work with me or I work from home, so no dog walker or daycare either.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I try to be reasonable in what I spend on Molly, but never on the essentials
so, for my 13lb. spoiled mini............

Food & treats, $900.00 yr minimum
Grooming (every 10 wks ) I do her 'inbetween' grooms to keep the cost down
$450.00yr ($90.00 per groom)
Licensing (required by law) $46.00 every 3 yrs
Annual 'well check' (with bloodwork) $160.00 yr
Misc. Toys, collars, leashes, hair products, dental products, clothes, and other
'Fun Stuff' $300.00 yr.
GRAND TOTAL $1,926.00 PER YR. ($165.00 month)

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Here is one of those unanticipated expenses, just incurred today. I took Lily to the vet because I think she might have a UTI. Both boys have been sniffing her privates very closely for a couple of days (after some earlier more casual checking) and Javelin gave serious thought to mounting her last night (I stopped him before she bit his nose off). Today she has been avoiding drinking and seemed really reluctant to urinate, so all of those things added up to suggest it was a good idea to get her checked out. Well, exam, one dose of antibiotic injected, a ten day course of antibiotic and a urinalysis and culture = $383! I paid it out of pocket (and am grateful to afford to do so), but it will make me think about what I buy at the food store for the next couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts