Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been looking for a standard poodle puppy for the last year. After being on waiting lists for a few litters in the UK, we've been offered a puppy from a reputable breeder.

We were a little taken aback by the price of £2500, is this a reasonable price?

I'd like to add that we understand that this breeder has undergone extensive health and genetic testing from parents with excellent temperaments. We had a lower figure in mind from our time spent researching and from the Champdogs website
Standard Poodles - Champdogs ®

·
Registered
37 Posts
I won’t lie, that seems quite steep - I would personally expect around £1,500 for a pedigree dog with the appropriate health checks and up to £2,000 for a dog from particularly good lines. Having said that, I’ve heard that some people have been paying £2,500 - £3,000 for a puppy during the pandemic because so many people want one!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
We've been looking for a standard poodle puppy for the last year. After being on waiting lists for a few litters in the UK, we've been offered a puppy from a reputable breeder.

We were a little taken aback by the price of £2500, is this a reasonable price?

I'd like to add that we understand that this breeder has undergone extensive health and genetic testing from parents with excellent temperaments. We had a lower figure in mind from our time spent researching and from the Champdogs website
Standard Poodles - Champdogs ®
I had to check the conversion rate from pounds to dollars (1 to 1.35) and £2500 is quite high. I think I would look further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your replies that_poodle_noodle and Johanna. We had anticipated a price of around £1500, despite 2020 having been quite a crazy year! Everything else about our breeder is all we could have hoped for, but this inflation in price has rung some alarm bells.. thought we'd ask for some advice!

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
$3,300 USD? If the breeder truly is that wonderful—and the price is manageable for you—I'm not sure I'd personally be so quick to walk away. But don't stretch yourself. The first year of a puppy's life is expensive even if everything goes exactly as planned.

Do you know how much they were charging for their puppies pre-covid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply Peggytheparti.
This is breeder in questions first litter. We've met the dad and his owner has a good reputation and was the person who recommended our breeder. The breeders bitch comes from a very reputable line as well.
We were very happy until we found out about the price as it was so different to what we had expected..
The question is; is the grass greener or do we stick with a breeder that we're happy with, who has inflated prices?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am paying $3,500 for a mini poo that I am getting in two days. I also thought that it is a steep price but I wonted him sooooo much that I could not resist. The breeder is doing it for 40 years and is Breeder of Merritt, so

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you have everything that you think you want and price is the only thing holding you back, then pull the trigger.

Just do it. All in.

Make a pros and cons list.

What's your experience been with the puppies? Have you had pictures, videos, held them yet?

Basil was a sticker shock to me, 1888 pounds ($2500) I even asked the breeder for a better price, but she was firm for x y and z reasons and I respected it. Her momma had the therapy dog tempurment, dad had the athletic, obedience & show genetics, I got the biggest girl, and I was able to see them twice in person before week 8 with weekly videos and pics. Breeder was a human-momma-to-be so I know she watched this litter like her own kids. Breeder did puppy culture and helped them get use to city sounds prior to 8 weeks. 100% perfect teeth and vet health (so far, knock on wood). I regret nothing.

Dooooooo ittttttttttttttttttttt and be sure to post puppy pics here when you get the chance :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brownie_mom thanks for your reply, we want our pup badly too!! I'm sure we'd have no regrets but the price was a shock and made us worry. After all, we had read that reputable breeders wouldn't increase their prices

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Basil_the_Spoo Thanks for your detailed response!
We have made a pros and cons list as suggested, the breeder is great, has health tested and is looking after this litter like they are grandchildren.
We get daily updates with videos or pics of the whole litter with their Mum. They're only newly born so we havent been able to meet them, but have been invited for 4 and 6 weeks.
All of these are really good signs and exactly what we want from our breeder.

How did you go about aking for a price reduction? The price isn't really an issue, its more the conotations of the price and what that makes us feel about the breeder and their motivations. I would love to be able to ask for reasoning but I feel that may come across rude :(

We will absolutely post pics once we have our Spoo

·
Registered
84 Posts
Brownie_mom thanks for your reply, we want our pup badly too!! I'm sure we'd have no regrets but the price was a shock and made us worry. After all, we had read that reputable breeders wouldn't increase their prices
I do not know if this will make you fell better or worse, but the cost of the pup is just a fraction of the overall expenses. I already spent over a $1K on all different stuff for coming puppy and I feel that it is just a beginning. Vet, Grooming , Classes etc... So if you like what you see and the puppy is what you are dreaming for - just go for it and forget about the cost (If you can afford it ). Breeding a good pup costs a lot of money to the breeder. Not to mention all the work around small dogies. And if she is doing a good job she deserves good payment.
These are my 5 cents...

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
So many people are financially struggling through this pandemic. Maybe they're treating the litter as a job and need the profit?

But I'm surprised you weren't informed of the price before going on their waitlist.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So many people are financially struggling through this pandemic. Maybe they're treating the litter as a job and need the profit?

But I'm surprised you weren't informed of the price before going on their waitlist.
I was searching for a puppy just couple months ago and talk to several breeders. Not a single one was bring price in the conversation until I asked. I guess one just have to ask?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Keep in mind the pandemic is driving demand for fur companions up, and basic supply-and-demand law shows that price will go up assuming supply stays the same.

There's the possibility they have people lined up or believe people pay this much and value their puppies at that. So, don't walk away 100%. You have time on your side, so you can pause the process to address your concern.

I would third-party (pass the blame) and good-cop/bad-cop (show that your on their side, empathy), and tell a story (people love a good story):

"["My husband" or his name] is a bit of a numbers guy and I adore the thought of bringing home one of your furbabies to our family. We obviously have to make decisions together. He said it's too far out of the budget and I'm worried he'll tell me to keep looking and I'm trying my best to convince him that we should not walk away since we're this far already.

Is there any room to bring the price down?"

That's a pretty genuine, inoffensive, and authentic story to start. See what they say. If your uncomfortable during the conversation "Let me gather this information, see what he says, and hopefully get back to you with some good news" to slow down the process. You're just the messenger over the phone or via text. You don't need to volunteer any information right away because you don't know for sure. You know their price, but aren't feeling it. You are on their side, and your significant other is being the bad guy. Your hoping they can help you out so you can get back with good news with a follow up text. Everyone loves good news. "Good news, my husband said _", or don't. Maybe have another round of offer/counter-offer.

I don't know what kind of margins a breeder works with or if they will say they have people lined up to pay that price (maybe they do, maybe they don't).

Where's the "win" for you? Maybe they'll help you out, maybe they won't, but you've asked. You're on their side. You just have some concerns that your hoping they can address to sell your husband on the price (who is actually you, if that makes sense).

My exact words more blunt when I asked, "$2500 is a little steep, is there any wiggle room on price?" Knowing I was 100% already telling myself I would pull the trigger, but just hoping for any discount.

Thats kind of long winded and repetitious, but there's a mindset I'm hoping you caught and need a place to start thinking and/or words to say.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts