Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Several members on here do use cornstarch and say that it works quite well. I personally have not used it, but I do think that it would work.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Google can be a friend or foe at times: Does anyone use cornstarch to help comb out tangled poodle hair?
I have not tried cornstarch but have good luck with this horse Grooming product. It is far cheaper than dog products, I just put some in a small spray bottle for easy detangling

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@EVpoodle @Charlie's Person I sincerely appreciate your suggestions.

I researched and knew that poodle's hair required significant maintenance, compared to a beagle, for example, and I have a grooming table, a dremmel, an electric clipper, etc. ..... yet I really had no idea the time and discipline required. I've fallen into the habit of grooming him the most on two occasions:

1. Just after a professional grooming, because it's soooo easy to comb and brush.
2. Right before a grooming, because of the guilt that he has tangles and the fear that any matts will be found.

The pitiful thing about this is Rocky will actually act as if he's sleeping in a standing position while being groomed... I have no legit excuse:)

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
I bought cornstarch and tried it. It works amazingly well!!! I'm able to comb and brush out tangles quickly and see a visible difference in his fur over a relatively short period compared to the hours it's taken me in the past.

Granted, I'm not finished grooming him...it's an ongoing process. But the results I see tonight makes me motivated to be able to keep grooming him regularly because it's so much easier and quicker.

I also bought ShowSheen, as recommended by Charlie's Person. It should arrive Monday, and I'm looking forward to using it too. Ultimately, if I can properly groom him consistently, I will reduce the frequency of professional grooming. Save money, be self-sufficient, an opportunity to visually check for health issues, and an opportunity to bond more with Rocky. (I didn't get a chance to compare ShowSheen to Cowboy Magic, as recommended by Liz, because I bought the ShowSheen before the post by Liz... but I appreciate your tip too Liz).

After my confession of how much Rocky can get tangles, I thought 5 min of any grooming is better than nothing. So earlier today I cleaned his ears, trimmed the outer ear hairs, and looked in his ears with a pet otoscope (just to make sure his ears are clean).

Again, I sincerely appreciate the tips and encouragement :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts