Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here it is..and I admit I know it looks bad! You have no idea how bad I want to brush her, but I have to admit it is already starting to take a corded look!

Hubby says that is exactly what dreads should look like, hers are looking better then his did when he first started out!

Not sure how long before they really will start curling and cording, but you can see what I mean by her coat naturally cording up. Her top knot is about 4-5 inches long, her body hair maybe 2-3 and I recently shaved her rear down with a 1/2 in guard so I am guessing 1 inch long at most. I have been pulling them apart into smaller sections if it starts to look like a big mat, like the size of a small pen in width.

I will keep the shortest part of her NOT corded, since I think that they would get dirty on her rear...and of course her feet and face will be kept short. Its too cold to shave anyone too close in our winter weather so she is a bit furry faced!

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has only had one bath (and blow dry) since I started the "no brushing" policy. I am guessing the more times I bathe and DON"T brush the more she will cord, or at least the curlier her coat will get.

I was thinking, should you keep the ear hair short? I was wondering if it got too heavy...I guess only when they are wet, then you can just hold them back with a hair band in the bath to avoid discomfort. Just a thought I had today...

·
Registered
38 Posts
She has only had one bath (and blow dry) since I started the "no brushing" policy. I am guessing the more times I bathe and DON"T brush the more she will cord, or at least the curlier her coat will get.

I was thinking, should you keep the ear hair short? I was wondering if it got too heavy...I guess only when they are wet, then you can just hold them back with a hair band in the bath to avoid discomfort. Just a thought I had today...
I have heard from other people when you cord a dog you want to avoid using any sort or force dryer. I used a crate dryer just blowing gentle warm air. ((I also was told that they do get frequent baths just as normal poodles do.)) You would want to soak up as much hair with towels before drying in a crate or it will take forever! Good luck with the cording process!
Kisses and wiggles from Westley && I

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard from other people when you cord a dog you want to avoid using any sort or force dryer. I used a crate dryer just blowing gentle warm air. ((I also was told that they do get frequent baths just as normal poodles do.)) You would want to soak up as much hair with towels before drying in a crate or it will take forever! Good luck with the cording process!
Kisses and wiggles from Westley && I
My idea of a blow dry involves a hair dryer made for humans...LOL. I run it over them on either cool or warm to "help" with the drying. I only totally dry with a dry if I plan to brush them out.

I planned on using towels on her and letting her mostly air dry...since I know I cannot brush her and that drying makes them loose curl. If I run the dryer on her at all it will be on her rear end which I do not plan to keep in cords and feet and it will be on cool...thanks for reminding me though!:rainbow:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lol

I 'blow dry' by cranking up the furnace and placing the dogs near a register while it blasts warm air!

I really need to get a dryer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts