Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooper had his first raw meal tonight. He was quite funny about it all. I sat his bowl down and let him know it was time to eat. He walked over and smelled it and then looked back at me and then back at the bowl and then me, finally GRABBED the first piece and took off to my the bedroom.... :scared: he is not eating supper in my bed so I go chasing after him, get him back into the sunroom and shut the gate. I stood there to watch him eat. He kept looking me, I guess he thought that he had something that he wasn't suppose to have and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to take it away. Needless to say, he loved it. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
When we first started feeding raw chicken, one of the older boys would gingerly pcik it up with just his teeth. not letting his lips touch it. His expression was like..'Yuck, this is raw!! and no BarBQ sauce either...bleeehhhhh"

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Haha! What did he get for his first raw meal? Riley got a turkey neck at first and some chicken wings. He took them out in the yard and licked them forever. Finally crunched and ate, and the rest is history! Im glad he enjoyed it!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
TQ put her first raw chicken on the ground and started to use her foot + ground + teeth pulling as leverage. She quickly removed her foot and shook it like, "Ewwww it's squishy!"

Perry, on the other hand loved it. He also loves eggs and will try and run away with them. The boy knows what to do! Kinda makes me think he has eaten eggs before... when he was a little stray.

Buck... how does one go about buying.... uh... turkey neck, heart, and gizzard?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hehe, that's really funny. Raw meat in your bed, gross! Glad he got the hang of it though and was such a fan. He must have thought he hit the jackpot!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TQ put her first raw chicken on the ground and started to use her foot + ground + teeth pulling as leverage. She quickly removed her foot and shook it like, "Ewwww it's squishy!"

Perry, on the other hand loved it. He also loves eggs and will try and run away with them. The boy knows what to do! Kinda makes me think he has eaten eggs before... when he was a little stray.

Buck... how does one go about buying.... uh... turkey neck, heart, and gizzard?
I went to the grocery store and talked to my butcher and he set me up. I also had him cut up some of the bigger meats and the beef liver was frozen so he cut that up for me also. I also got some ox tail, chicken backs and pork neck bones. Brought it home and packaged everything up into individual meals. It was alot of fun.:)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I've always fed my dogs good quality dry dog food, but listening to these stories of raw feeding intrigue me... As kids we were always cautioned to keep the chicken bones AWAY from our Irish Setters because they splinter and could cause problems, but here you very conscientious, diligent poo owners are feeding your dogs whole pieces of chicken (bone and all) because it's GOOD for them!! Where the heck have I BEEN??

I'd be interested in learning more about raw feeding, but Buck's comment about Cooper trying to take his bounty to the bedroom makes me hesitate... WHERE would I safely feed a pack of four dogs a squishy, squashy, greasy, grossy meal without making a huge mess on my floors? Where do you guys do it??

I have to admit, buying a 40 pound bag of dog food once a month and storing it in my front closet seems ever so much easier than preparing fresh raw meals a couple of times a day... If you make ahead and then freeze, you'd have to prepare ahead and allow the meals to thaw before feeding, right??? I just have more questions that can probably be asked and answered on this forum - where does one go for good information when they're a raw virgin (ewwww, that sort of sounded gross...) :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I've always fed my dogs good quality dry dog food, but listening to these stories of raw feeding intrigue me... As kids we were always cautioned to keep the chicken bones AWAY from our Irish Setters because they splinter and could cause problems, but here you very conscientious, diligent poo owners are feeding your dogs whole pieces of chicken (bone and all) because it's GOOD for them!! Where the heck have I BEEN??
Cooked chicken bones are very dangerous for dogs, because they are brittle. Raw chicken bones are ok because they are pliable rather than brittle. So still keep your poodles away from cooked chicken bones!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
A designated food and nutrition are would be great HINT HINT, we talked about this before. I too would love more detail into feeding raw. Examples the amounts of servings, how many times a day. Dislikes and likes.............This is a great topic!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have to admit, buying a 40 pound bag of dog food once a month and storing it in my front closet seems ever so much easier than preparing fresh raw meals a couple of times a day... If you make ahead and then freeze, you'd have to prepare ahead and allow the meals to thaw before feeding, right??? I just have more questions that can probably be asked and answered on this forum - where does one go for good information when they're a raw virgin (ewwww, that sort of sounded gross...) :)
My mom does a mix of freezing ahead and defrosting, and just pulling fresh stuff out of the fridge and feeding it. When I have my poo she'll be preparing it for me and I'll keep it in the freezer and defrost.

Our girl is pretty clean when she eats ground meat and stuff that doesn't take a lot of gnawing, so we just feed her in her bowl in the kitchen. If it's something that takes work we chuck it outside (in sun and snow) and she eats out there. We always wipe her face with a towel right away after she's eaten so she doesn't spread bacteria all around the house. As I live in a condo, my poo will be eating in the bathtub unless he proves he's a tidy eater!

Yahoo has quite a few raw food lists. My mom is still on one and learned a lot through there. You can search raw or BARF (which seems gross but is one of the raw food feeding models). :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Taffy was so funny when she got her first raw meat (chicken hip). She grabbed it out of her bowl and ran as fast as she could for the dog bed in the living room where she ate it with relish. LOL NO ONE was getting that from her. Billy was so excited his tail was wagging faster than I had ever seen it go before but he remained a gentleman and ate it out of his bowl! Good boy. Now the Golden, LOL, I think she swallowed her's whole!!! HORRORS! She has always been like that with her food.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'd be interested in learning more about raw feeding, but Buck's comment about Cooper trying to take his bounty to the bedroom makes me hesitate... that was a virgin mistake, I didn't realize that he would run off with it.WHERE would I safely feed a pack of four dogs a squishy, squashy, greasy, grossy meal without making a huge mess on my floors? Where do you guys do it??Crate!

There is a thread on here about feeding raw food. I am doing the prey model diet because I feel it easier and better. I also give NUPRO supplement which has alot of vitamins and minerals (like Norwegian sea kelp). With all the these immune-related issues, I just feel like raw-fed is better. There are alot of benefits for the dogs. This is something that I have been thinking about doing. I too had my concerns about feeding raw. It does take some time to sort and package into daily feedings. Me and my husband bagged up about thirty meals ( including labeling) in less that hour. But I can tell you, the enjoyment of seeing Cooper and how he reacted to it, is worth the time and effort that goes into it. It is also a easier than it sounds. He has never been excited over any kibble and I fed the high quality also. Happy dog makes me happy.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
But what about all the bacteria that raw chicken supposedly has? Does it not bother dogs?
the dogs digestive system is faster then ours so the bacteria doesn't have a chance to effect them like it would us
if you feed it kibble and raw then there might be a chance of the bacteria to effect the dog

((or at least thats what I've been told by our vet XD ))

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Bernard just had his first raw tonight- he took forever to eat it- he was so confused :( poor guy. He had a chunk (no bone) of venison and a satin ball tonight.

I feed my guys in kennels if they get anything that is a chunk. If it's thawed (totally) ground i fee djust in bowls . .

If you want to try raw- seriously the easitest way is to buy pre made. Most poodles nad dogs of that size (i have aussies as well) eat about 1lb a day- so even prebought is around 2.00/day to feed. Not bad

Then start adding in stuff that you make yourself- i just buy what ever meat i can get (chicken backs/necks- ground chicken, beef, venison when i find deals- i advertise- get freezer burnt meat etc from folks) and feed tripe few days a month added in to get my organ %

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Also note that RAW chicken bones are entirely different to COOKED chicken bones, and cooked chicken bones should be kept away from dogs due to the splintering! Raw ones are fine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts