Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting either a cooling pad or a cooling vest or both. I have a standard poodle who weighs 41 pounds at almost 7 months. We have a summer house on the ocean that we spend a lot of time at during the summer as well as parks and such.

I’ve read reviews and I was thinking about this (https://www.amazon.com/Green-Pet-Sh...,&qid=1560610049&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1) for the cooling pad. But I’m not sure about it or cooling vests. Does anyone have either a pad or a vest that they like/works well?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I had one like that when Maiz was a pup, but she chewed it to the gel. So, I would not recommend one for puppies unless you are supervising the entire time. I would just keep your pup in the shade and clipped down in the summer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one like that when Maiz was a pup, but she chewed it to the gel. So, I would not recommend one for puppies unless you are supervising the entire time. I would just keep your pup in the shade and clipped down in the summer.
It would only be used under mine (or my husbands/kids) supervision. She isn't much of a chewer unless it's her bone/chew toys - she's never chewed shoes/socks/stuffed animals or anything left on the floor so I'm not overly worried about her chewing it up. She is clipped down short so she is cooler and so it's easier to keep clean (nothing like cleaning sand/seaweed/gunk that has dried into her curls - made that mistake once before she was taken to the groomers for a short clip lol). She also pants a lot (despite unlimited access to water even in the car) when we're at the park or at the ocean since it isn't always possible to keep her in the shade so I'm trying to think of ways to make her as comfortable as possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don’t know where you’re located but I have a “Coleman” brand cooling pad for my Standard puppy and he really loves it. One thing to look out for though is that whichever brand you get, that the gel is non-toxic, also of course make sure your dog isn’t a chewer! Mine’s only 14 weeks old so he only lays on it supervised, but the gel stays cool for a little while and then if he shifts over to the other side for 10-15 minutes, the previous side he was laying on is cool again on its own! Only thing I’m not sure of, is if you’d be using it outside in the hot weather, how long the pad would stay sufficiently cool. I’d recommend getting a pad, rather than a vest because the vest could heat up from his body temperature and he could overheat -especially outside

1 - 4 of 4 Posts