Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atticus refuses to eat dog food plain. I have to put cottage cheese or tomatoe sauce in it for him to eat and he still wont finish it and feeding raw would be too expensive for me to afford. He would probably eat canned dog food but it just gets so expensive and its really stinky. I love cooking so I think it would be fun fo fix him his meals. Would you reccomend doing this? And what kind of food should I fix?

I'm going to research more into this, but just thought I'd ask for your guys' opinions!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
When my mom's first greyhound turned up with kidney problems (among other things), she started cooking for her and making lots, then freezing it. Mag got spoiled, and probably ate better than we did most of the time, lol! She was given 6 months to live, and due to my mother's vigilance, lived another year on top of what she was given.

My mom would make her chicken dumplings (hold the salt and pepper, really, just act like you're making a meal for a little kid... they don't need seasoning), giving her greens as well. She would make her meals with the simple idea of a meat source plus two veggies. One green, one otherwise.

So... one meal one day would be chicken with green beans and yams. Another day would be beef with potatoes and peas.

She has lots of recipes, and I don't know her exact measurments, so I would have to check... but the vet was impressed, and they did a lot of research together to help Mag live as long as possible. Atticus will love you for it, if you cook for him! My puppies always appreciate a home-cooked meal :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made him his first meal today and he loved it! I found recipes off the internet and made him a weeks worth of meals and put them in the freezer in measured amounts. I added his kibble to the recipe too and he didnt seem to notice, he gobbled it all up! I also add fish oil to them too to help keep his skin from drying out from all his baths. I actually prefer doing this than buying the kibble and it gives me something to do in my free time. He also has rawhides he chews and I brush his teeth so his teeth stay clean. I'm having so much fun with this, just wanted to share!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Michelle, what did you cook for him?
Chicken Casserole
1.5 cups boiled chicken cut into bite size pieces.
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup of boiled vegetables
3 tbsp unsalted chicken broth

Tuna Roll
1 can of Tuna in water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 celery stick
1 large carrot
1 tsp lemon juice
4 tbsp cottage cheese

And I added a cup and a half of his kibble to each recipe

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Chicken Casserole
1.5 cups boiled chicken cut into bite size pieces.
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup of boiled vegetables
3 tbsp unsalted chicken broth

Tuna Roll
1 can of Tuna in water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 celery stick
1 large carrot
1 tsp lemon juice
4 tbsp cottage cheese

And I added a cup and a half of his kibble to each recipe
Sounds like some good recipes!

How did you figure out what his serving size/day would be?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like some good recipes!

How did you figure out what his serving size/day would be?
He eats 1/3 cup daily so I give him half of that every meal. I'll add more or give him less if he's still too boney or starts gaining too much weight. He really loves it though!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think cooking for dogs is wonderful and so much better than kibble or canned. My havanese eats raw one meal (not premade but chicken necks, gizzards, etc) and one home cooked. It gets very expensive to do with standards, so one meal that cat raw, meaty bones and one kibble mixed with my home cooking.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Maybe you will like some raw receipe. This is good one :)

Raw Dinner

Ingredients:

3/4 pound Raw Meat -- *see Note
1 egg -- raw
1/2 clove garlic -- chopped
2 tablespoons yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon flax seed oil –
*see Note
1 teaspoon kelp seaweed powder –
*see Note
1 teaspoon alfalfa powder –
*see Note
250 mgs vitamin C -- for dogs
1/4 cup kibble -- optional

Mix together and serve.

Note: raw beef chunks (not ground), raw chicken, mackerel, or lamb
etc. twice a week use liver or kidney.
Note: found in health food store or pet store

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sounds yummy, just make sure he's getting the right amount of vitamins and such. He should be if your still giving him kibble along with the home made stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts