Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day!
Cookie been growin!! Like GROWING!! He supposedly to be toypoodle. Even his birth certificate, his parents and ancestors were toy poodles.
but oh boy, he sure is bigger than other toy poodle we’ve met! I wonder if he will keep on growing.
I never got to measure him. He is one curious fella. He always bite on the measuring tape. (Ugh)
Oh his weight is currently at 4,5kg.
i dont think he’s overweight, maybe a wee bit. Cause when i run my palm on his sides, i can still feel his ribs. Really feelin them!
The breeder told me to not feed him rice. But when he hits 4months or so, he got diarrhoea & hated his food. So i fed him chicken & rice. And since, I always home cook for him. So yeah, rice is always there.
like 10 to 20%. Cause when I didn’t, dang, this guy sure lost weight.That concerns me. Also, his poop were yellooo. I read that too much chicken meat can make his poop yello.
anyone out there have similar case too?
oh and these are pictures of him carried by my mum (sorry foe the way he was carried. He wouldn’t stop wriggling on first picture)
The one with green clothes are when he was 3months. And the other one is him on 9months. Huge difference!!
a long boi indeed! Haha

·
Registered
12,567 Posts
He is certainly a wriggle bug! Sounds as if he is going to be an "oversize" toy - one of my favourite sizes, as still small enough to pick up easily but big enough to hold his own.

Mine always piled on the pounds if fed much rice or other carbohydrate. I found the right balance of meat, bone and offal avoided the yellow runs, which tended to be down to too much fat.

Reactions: Petitecoral

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
He certainly seems to have reached mini poodle size. I sympathize with your frustration about measuring him. I had the same trouble with Galen. He would move and wiggle and try to bite the measuring stick!

I wonder if your breeder told you not to feed rice because she was concerned about balanced diet. She may have met other people who think it is ok to feed a dog nothing but leftovers from the owner's meals. Maybe a diet of table scraps is ok for a piglet, but it's not proper for a puppy.

I do feed my dogs a mix of rice and chicken when they are feeling ill. Otherwise I give a good quality commercial dog food, because I don't trust myself to plan meals with the correct nutrient balance. I don't want my dog to have thin bones because I didn't give enough calcium. Nor do I want my dog to get bladder stones because I gave too many of the wrong minerals. Balanced diet in a house dog is hard! I expect your brands in Indonesia might be different from what I can get here. Your breeder or your vet should know more about which brands are good and which brands are not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is certainly a wriggle bug! Sounds as if he is going to be an "oversize" toy - one of my favourite sizes, as still small enough to pick up easily but big enough to hold his own.

Mine always piled on the pounds if fed much rice or other carbohydrate. I found the right balance of meat, bone and offal avoided the yellow runs, which tended to be down to too much fat.
big big wriggle boi!!
not only that, he is heckin clingy! And always have to play his toys right beside me. His body has to touch mine & he would asks for pats like a cat would. (Rub his head on my hands or face) BUT THEEEN, when I’m the one that asks for cuddles, he’s always like “nah eew wth?” How unfair is that!! 😤
I hope he won’t grow any bigger than this. Or i wont be able to carry him anymore 😞
Too much fat?🤔 mm i did my best on trimming off most fat on the meat. I use both chicken breast and thigh for him. And I added in 1/2tsp of coconut oil in it too. (Which if i measured for per feeding time, it should be on the 1/4tsp per 10 pounds)
I’ll try to decrease the thigh on next chicken batch.
oh btw I’ve been doing research about dog home cook, and there’s this one book that says “home cook dog food should be more on the carbs. 2:1 or 3:1. Lesser on the meat.” And yet most people agreed more on feeding meat & if possible no carbs (grain) at all. Givin me ze confuuuseee

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He certainly seems to have reached mini poodle size. I sympathize with your frustration about measuring him. I had the same trouble with Galen. He would move and wiggle and try to bite the measuring stick!

I wonder if your breeder told you not to feed rice because she was concerned about balanced diet. She may have met other people who think it is ok to feed a dog nothing but leftovers from the owner's meals. Maybe a diet of table scraps is ok for a piglet, but it's not proper for a puppy.

I do feed my dogs a mix of rice and chicken when they are feeling ill. Otherwise I give a good quality commercial dog food, because I don't trust myself to plan meals with the correct nutrient balance. I don't want my dog to have thin bones because I didn't give enough calcium. Nor do I want my dog to get bladder stones because I gave too many of the wrong minerals. Balanced diet in a house dog is hard! I expect your brands in Indonesia might be different from what I can get here. Your breeder or your vet should know more about which brands are good and which brands are not.
could be that too! Cause people tend to feed their dogs with lots of rice, with a wee bit of meat. Like 90% rice and 10% chicken. Some people do feed dogs table scraps. Which my mum always did !! We even quarrel over that quite often. Especially here, everyone add in onion and garlic in every dish.

my breeder didn’t really give me much information. When i told her i have to cook for cookie due to he doesn’t want to touch dog food at all, she just replied me with “hm, he usually want to have wet dog foods. Pedigree wet dog food always work.”
welp, even my friend tried to give cookie her doggo’s pricey dog food and no luck either 😔
There are some home made dog food here. Both raw & cooked. I can’t give him raw food. So i tried their cooked food. Aaaaand no luck either. Cookie gave it good sniff and was like “n o p e”
It was meat & vegs. No grains. I ended up throwing them out bank account cries in distance. It really has to be me, cook, for him. :) this dang young master is testing on my nerves!
oh and i give him supplements too. Finely grounded egg shells, kelp, ground pumpkin seed, bee pollen, collagen, turmeric paste.
and i give to him different supplements each days. Except for egg shell & collagen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a cutie, I bet he's a total lovebug
Super! One clingy boy! (If he’s a human, he’s probably that one possessive boyfriend lol) has to around me all the time, always give me kisses without even asked (but when i do, he won’t give), and always put his head on my leg when I’m doing skincare or makeup, he’ll stare at me and then fall asleep lol
Sorry for spamming with his pictures

1 - 9 of 9 Posts