Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this term for the first time today at work. A man called saying his lab had bred with the neighbor's hound dog, and he wanted to know if there was a "morning after pill" for dogs, or some other form of emergency contraceptive, as he had planned on breeding her when she got older to another lab.

PS a little background ... our office is out in the sticks, alot of clients are "good ol' boy" types.

Anyway, the tech that answered the phone said that all we could do was spay the dog, there is not anything else that can terminate a pregnancy in a dog.
so anyway ol' dude says he cant do that because he wants to breed her and he will just kill off the puppies...then got off the phone. I know, its awful.
We were talking about this (the tech that answered the phone,another tech and I) and I made the statement that it would at least be kinder to humanely euthanize the puppies than to throw them in the river or whatever he was planning on doing. The other tech, that didnt answer the phone got this crazy look on her face and said " We don't do "convenience euthanasia" here"

I guess they dont put an animal own unless it is suffering or old, but then I asked about a mean dog, an she said no.

which brings me to my point. so say you have a dog and it bites a stranger and harms them badly. what would you do?

The tech that answered the phone actually had to do this with her dog. he was a large breed, and bit her child twice. he would "snap" and just go a little nutty. They went through three trainers, had multiple workups done by the vet, and nothing could help.

In a case like this I agree it is in the human and the dogs best interest to euthanize the dog.

I could not trust a dog that bit me (im not talking mouthing,nipping or anything like that, Im talking full-on bite)
I also could not in good concience place that dog in a new home. (and EVEN if you tell the new owner that the dog has shown aggressive tendancies, if that dog bites someone, they can still sue you!)

If three trainers gave up on the dog, where does that leave the owner? what other options are there? she could have kept the dog in a run and used a catch pole to move it around. she could have used a self feeder and ran a hose into a bucket, and just never had physical contact with it again,but come ON now thats no life for a dog.

now do I believe in euthanising a puppy because you don't feel like taking care of it? NO Would I have euthanised a whole litter of puppies just because I didnt contain my in season bitch? NO do I believe in putting a dog down because it chewed something up,peed on the rug or because I had a baby? NO But I think in a situation I described with an agressive dog, and as a last resort, it IS an option.

I have had to euthanise pets, and it hurts and its a terrible feeling to hold them as their life slips away, but in some cases I think it is the kindest thing you can do for your pet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's a horrible story. Sadly he didn't get proper information as there is something that can be given to his girl to end the pregnancy. Not without some risk to a future breeding, but I'd do that over killing newborn puppies! Can you imagine what the dam will go through? How sick.

I've never heard that term before either... but it does make sense to use it that way.
I was faced with a situation that our vet wouldn't pts our 2 year old cat because there was a chance that she could be saved... if we drove over 3 hours, over the mountain pass to Portland (Jan 1st!) for open heart surgery! Even with heart surgery, she may never get the use of her back legs again. With the kids and I crying in her office at this sudden happening, knowing her fate... but she wouldn't do it!!!
We took her to a shelter where my daughter and husband went back with her. It was the most difficult check I've ever written.
That is not the type of vet I see today... I need compassionate but also level headed and 'on the ground'.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
When I worked at the humane society, we would get loads of phone calls from people who wanted immediate RID of whatever companion animal(s) were causing them inconvenience at any given time. They felt that NO MATTER WHAT, the shelter should take THEIR pets (at NO cost to them, of course) and find them a wonderful home where they'd lay on a velvet cushion and eat tuna bonbons all day... Well, in the real world, things work a little differently... :wacko:

When the shelter first opened, the manager (that's me) could make decisions on if we had room for a particular animal, or if the pet would have to go on a "waiting list" for the next available open kennel. It would have been lovely if we would have had unlimited space and unlimited financial resources; but we had neither - and sometimes decisions had to be made. During my years there, the board of directors changed our policy to an "open door" plan where we could not turn any animal away for any reason (euthanasia rates went up considerably after that policy was enacted!)

Before we went to "open door" I remember getting a phone call from a man who said he had an unwanted litter of 6 week old puppies. He had called the vet's office and asked if he could bring them in for euthanasia (apparently he was willing to pay the $$ just so he wouldn't have to deal with the pups - in this case it probably would've been better if he had extinguished the puppies at 6 minutes old instead of 6 WEEKS old - but that's a whole 'nuther conversation) He said the vet refused to euthanize healthy puppies so he wanted me to know that if we didn't take them IMMEDIATELY he was going to tie them in a burlap sack and throw them into the Missouri River!!

I was seriously overcrowded and couldn't have taken in a guinea pig much less a whole litter of puppies - I put the guy on hold while I called the vet and asked the tech if they would euthanize the puppies if the only other option this guy could come up with was to drown them in the river (which btw is ILLEGAL, but someone would've had to catch him doing it and even then the penalties don't fit the crime!) And of course this old farmer-man couldn't be bothered to advertise the puppies for FREE in the newspaper or take them to the sale barn for giveaway - he wanted them gone... NOW!

The tech agreed that they would euthanize the puppies for this idiot, so I got back on the line with him and told him that I had worked it out with the vet and they'd take his litter for euthanasia...

In the end they didn't euthanize the pups - the guy never showed at the clinic so we don't know if he ended up finding homes for them, throwing them in the river after all, or keeping the litter and having lots of intact adolescent dogs on his spread... (that happened a lot too - people would call and say... "our dog had a litter of puppies last year and now we have too many dogs" - none of them fixed of course and very undersocialized from living on farms/ranches and not being handled a lot... Yeah - bring 'em right in!!! :( )

Oh the joys of animal sheltering! :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
That's horrible about the puppies.

There's a no kill shelter called Dog Town in southern utah, if dogs are too aggressive to be adopted (red collar dogs) then they live their full life there. I don't know how you would get your dog there, I just know it's no kill xP

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

There's a no kill shelter called Dog Town in southern utah, if dogs are too aggressive to be adopted (red collar dogs) then they live their full life there. I don't know how you would get your dog there, I just know it's no kill xP
I have mixed feelings about Dog Town and its aggressive dog program :eek:hwell: on one hand I think its nice they get to live a happy-ish life but on the other could the space and resources used on housing those who can never be adopted be put to better use on those who are adoptable?

Anyway, most people who call like that are full of ****. I worked the phone for my local "rescue" for about 6 months and did get a few calls of "Ill just turn it loose/shoot it/drown it" calls and what I told those people was basically go ahead, I have your name and number and will be calling the police to let them know of your plans. 99% of the time they placed the dog them selves or kept it.

I had to have 10, 1 day old it Pit mix puppies put down, it was heart breaking but knew that the mother dog could not feed 15 puppies (she was completely emaciated) and I could not possibly hand feed them (this was my FIRST foster dog) and even if I could get them to 8 weeks of age trying to place 15 large breed solid black puppies was never going to happen so I took them in. We did keep the only male puppies (3 of them) and in the end we were only able to place one and the others had to be put down due to parvo. Yeah worst foster experience ever, I almost told them no way was I taking another foster after that. But needless to say I did.

Anyway if the dog is mentally or physically ill then I agree with putting it down.

I have a policy with my own no kill rescue that if we take in your litter of puppies its $5 per puppy and you must agree to have the mother dog fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Anyway if the dog is mentally or physically ill then I agree with putting it down.
This was another bone of contention between the general public and the shelter I managed... The "mental illness" thing is not something that can be "seen" like a cancerous growth or parvo something similar - We had dogs in my shelter who were happy campers on day 1 and on day 365 of their stay with us. We did not have a "time limit" for any animal, but we did carefully moniter their health (mental and physical) and if we saw a steady decline in either which would not respond to our attempts to improve said health; the animals most likely were euthanized.

Before making the final decision, we'd try a variety of things such as changing which kennel the dog was in to give them a different view, changing any "enrichment" items they received such as different blankets, toys, walk schedules, food, etc... When available, we'd utilize foster homes to give the dogs a break from shelter life to see if they'd better acclimate when they came back (the down-side to this was if the dog wasn't present in the shelter, their adoption potential went way down because adoptors couldn't see them, interact with them, etc... and they were passed over for "hands-on" dogs who were physically present)

I wish there were better options for shelters/rescues, but until all pet owners become responsible enough to spay and neuter their companion animals, the population will continue to spiral out of control! :(

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a horrible story. Sadly he didn't get proper information as there is something that can be given to his girl to end the pregnancy. Not without some risk to a future breeding, but I'd do that over killing newborn puppies! Can you imagine what the dam will go through? How sick.

I've never heard that term before either... but it does make sense to use it that way.
I was faced with a situation that our vet wouldn't pts our 2 year old cat because there was a chance that she could be saved... if we drove over 3 hours, over the mountain pass to Portland (Jan 1st!) for open heart surgery! Even with heart surgery, she may never get the use of her back legs again. With the kids and I crying in her office at this sudden happening, knowing her fate... but she wouldn't do it!!!
We took her to a shelter where my daughter and husband went back with her. It was the most difficult check I've ever written.
That is not the type of vet I see today... I need compassionate but also level headed and 'on the ground'.

I asked the vet about this when Richard first told me that Brian and Jamie bred, she said they don't carry it, and do not believe in it- didn't tell me why.

I then called another vet in town (and another and another ) until one told me that it can kill the mother dog, and that is why no one carries it here.

Our local shelter does not charge to put an animal down, which I guess is a good thing because then people do not let their pet suffer just because they can't pay the fees that the vet office charges.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

There is no such thing as a no kill shelter. They can't save everything. They (not sure about this particular shelter, but I know of others) will put down sick and injured and old animals.

my problem with no kill shelters is that you then get a bunch of dogs living in pens sometimes alone, sometimes with others. Everyone thinks its this happy field with puppies and kitties frolicking in the sunshine, but they are just sitting there. EVEN IF volunteers could spend one hour a day with each dog, what kind of life is that?
I would put my animal down before I let him live in a pen with minimal interaction until he dies.

If you were in a 10 by 10 cell your whole life, and the only time you got to see someone was when you were fed, or your cell was cleaned, and you had nothing to do, except maybe once a day (sometimes less) they let you out to run in an open area, or took you out with a teather, would you be enjoying yourself?

there are worse things then death sometimes.

Im not saying this to be mean or catty, just stating my opinions and thoughts on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
there are worse things then death sometimes.
IA 1,000%!!!

I visited a "no-kill" shelter in South Carolina once while I was with my husband on his business trip (he was in meetings, I did my thing...) I was very saddened to see a despondent dog sitting in a kennel - I read her kennel card and it said she had been born at the shelter...

The dog was 13 years old... :( :scared:

·
Registered
562 Posts
When heard you use the term "convenience euthenasia" i thought you meant that a vet would come to your house and euthenise a dog say if its older and cant get around easy and is huge....sounds like a good idea i think. My sister used to work at a vets office as a tech and when our mastiff/ rott got to be too old and his quality of life was gone we decided to humanely euthenise him and the vet came to our home and did it for us so we didnt have to stress him out by taking him to the vet. They then took his body and we got him cremated too. Good old Ottis.
Now if a dog is aggressive and bits humanes unprovoked or not i believe its dangerous and should be put to sleep. I had to put my dog down when he was 5 years old because of other dog aggression and human aggression. He was perfect with me and my mom and would listen to me to a T but he was just so horrible with everyone and everything else (aside from my dogs that he knew). He was a solid 85 pound lab mix so it was hard to hold him back if he was unhappy.
Anyways Dax ended up biting my moms bf in the face and also lunging for a friend with his muzzle on so no harm but still. I then moved into an apt and had him put down shortly after that. I knew he was a HUGE risk and i just couldnt handle it anymore. An aggressive dog is an aggressive dog. There are too many good dogs out there that needs homes so if a dog is aggressive i say it gets put to sleep. SOrry if anybody disagrees, just my honest opinon.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When heard you use the term "convenience euthenasia" i thought you meant that a vet would come to your house and euthenise a dog say if its older and cant get around easy and is huge....sounds like a good idea i think. My sister used to work at a vets office as a tech and when our mastiff/ rott got to be too old and his quality of life was gone we decided to humanely euthenise him and the vet came to our home and did it for us so we didnt have to stress him out by taking him to the vet. They then took his body and we got him cremated too. Good old Ottis.
Now if a dog is aggressive and bits humanes unprovoked or not i believe its dangerous and should be put to sleep. I had to put my dog down when he was 5 years old because of other dog aggression and human aggression. He was perfect with me and my mom and would listen to me to a T but he was just so horrible with everyone and everything else (aside from my dogs that he knew). He was a solid 85 pound lab mix so it was hard to hold him back if he was unhappy.
Anyways Dax ended up biting my moms bf in the face and also lunging for a friend with his muzzle on so no harm but still. I then moved into an apt and had him put down shortly after that. I knew he was a HUGE risk and i just couldnt handle it anymore. An aggressive dog is an aggressive dog. There are too many good dogs out there that needs homes so if a dog is aggressive i say it gets put to sleep. SOrry if anybody disagrees, just my honest opinon.

I agree with you Mister,
Our vet does do home euthenasia, and if I have to have a pet put to sleep that does not enjoy the vet's office I will have them euthanised at my home. so far all of my guys like the office :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts