Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy SPOO is 12 weeks old now. I have had him on my little dog's grooming table quite a few times to attempt to make sure he is comfortable with the clippers. When I picked him up @ 8 weeks old he had been bathed and his face had been trimmed so yesterday was the second time I have attempted to trim his face and neck. The first time I did it he did not act up as much as he did yesterday. I would need to get a bigger grooming table for him along with other supplies including a bathing tub (I do not have a bathtub just a walk-in shower). So my question is: how many of you started out doing your own grooming and decided it was too hard or time consuming??? I am retired so the time consuming is not as worrisome as spending a lot of money and not being able to handle the trimming. Sorry if this is long winded.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I had three spoos, home grooming was not feasible, so I just tidied faces, tails, and privates between pro jobs — I like to be able to see eyes and I don't like to see anything stuck to the other end. I also did full dog grooming again once they became frail. OTOH, teaching your little guy to behave at the groomer is also important. We have an eight month old spoo now and I groomed him on the table for a few minutes every day from the time we brought him home at eleven weeks. By the time he had his first pro job, I had clipped him completely or partially multiple times. When he was finally fully vaccinated and able to go to the professional groomer, they were impressed by how cooperative he was. A plus is that he likes to go to the groomer now and be fussed over (he loves, loves, loves his vet, so he isn't typical in that regard, though).

i had one spoo who was shyer and I made the big mistake of not taking her to the groomer until she was a year old. You may find that you don't want to do full body grooming sometime in the future, so it would be a good idea to get your dog used to going to the groomer as well rather than waiting until he's a few years old.

The stickied thread above about teaching puppy grooming habits has some useful ideas.

We just wash our dogs in the shower with a detachable shower head.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jbean thank you for your reply and insight. I did think about the detachable shower head in the shower but it sounds like it would be a challenge and messy. I had been looking at a bathing tub that is similar to what they have at a groomers, legs, noose, spray and hook up for hot and cold water for 135 $. The downside to that is that it would have to be in the cellar so probably no winter baths. I am 66 so this is a lot to think about. My husband really wants me to do the grooming myself. If I CAN do it I don't mind doing it. I have been doing my 16# dog but she is a terrier mix. This is my first poodle. Thanks again

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a tub but for my mini I actually specifically got a battery operated shower head because it's very easy that way. I could see doing the same for a spoo. I groom myself and do full body once a month but I do weekly touch ups. So even if I used a groomer I would still want most of the supplies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a tub but for my mini I actually specifically got a battery operated shower head because it's very easy that way. I could see doing the same for a spoo. I groom myself and do full body once a month but I do weekly touch ups. So even if I used a groomer I would still want most of the supplies.
Thank you

·
Registered
118 Posts
My pup is only 5 months old so I am in the same situation as you. Before I got him I assumed I would just go to a groomer. But I knew I should start introducing him to grooming before he had been vaccinated and the groomers would take him, so I bought a cheap no name cordless with adjustable blade. Within 2 weeks I knew I needed Raffi's feet shaved since he was tracing in so much dirt and grit, and the cordless has worked great for that and face.
By now though, grooming has been going so well that I plan to do it myself. I've picked up a better clipper to use on his body.
My plan is to slowly add items as they become necessary and as I get used to and committed to grooming. My next item is a mat to put on the table (my kids old craft table lol). A force drier once his adult coat comes in, maybe a better cordless when this one dies, some curved scissors if we get to the point of more shaped clips.
Personally I only use a handheld shower head to bathe my dogs and I wish I had a walk-in shower instead of the awkward bathtub, but I don't have the space for an actual grooming tub even if I wanted one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My pup is only 5 months old so I am in the same situation as you. Before I got him I assumed I would just go to a groomer. But I knew I should start introducing him to grooming before he had been vaccinated and the groomers would take him, so I bought a cheap no name cordless with adjustable blade. Within 2 weeks I knew I needed Raffi's feet shaved since he was tracing in so much dirt and grit, and the cordless has worked great for that and face.
By now though, grooming has been going so well that I plan to do it myself. I've picked up a better clipper to use on his body.
My plan is to slowly add items as they become necessary and as I get used to and committed to grooming. My next item is a mat to put on the table (my kids old craft table lol). A force drier once his adult coat comes in, maybe a better cordless when this one dies, some curved scissors if we get to the point of more shaped clips.
Personally I only use a handheld shower head to bathe my dogs and I wish I had a walk-in shower instead of the awkward bathtub, but I don't have the space for an actual grooming tub even if I wanted one.
I do have quite a few things I need. As far as the walk-in shower I guess it would depend on the kind and size a person had. Mine is not a fancy one like you see on tv. It is very good size for a person but it has sliding glass doors. I worry that they would be difficult to work around wile giving the bath. I would only have so much room to maneuver with the door (if that makes sense).
I just got done working on his face again. Decided to take off his mustache. He was much better this time. Still not a perfect trim and his eyebrows look lopsided. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I like to bath my dog in the shower while I take a shower. This way we’re both clean. And wet. i have one of those showers that has a hand held and overhead all coming from the original overhead faucet in the shower. I bought an extra long hose so I can get underneath my dog for rinsing plus it’s very handy to use when cleaning the shower.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like to bath my dog in the shower while I take a shower. This way we’re both clean. And wet. i have one of those showers that has a hand held and overhead all coming from the original overhead faucet in the shower. I bought an extra long hose so I can get underneath my dog for rinsing plus it’s very handy to use when cleaning the shower.
It’s a thought but I don’t see me doing that LOL

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I am a bit older than you I thought I would do my own grooming and have clipper, table and dryer, but I do not.. Its too hard for me to bathe him, my tub a faucets are not compatible for adding a shower head too thus I would never be able to get him rinsed properly plus if I have to bend over for long periods its hard on my back. I occasionally will clean up his feet some but I'm not very good eat it. So off to the groomer we go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am a bit older than you I thought I would do my own grooming and have clipper, table and dryer, but I do not.. Its too hard for me to bathe him, my tub a faucets are not compatible for adding a shower head too thus I would never be able to get him rinsed properly plus if I have to bend over for long periods its hard on my back. I occasionally will clean up his feet some but I'm not very good eat it. So off to the groomer we go.
Yes bending over during the entire bath is another of my concerns. The tub I am considering buying is up on legs with the spray attachment etc. But trying to figure out where it would go is the problem. The bathing is my biggest concern. I’m pretty sure I could handle the grooming.

·
Registered
323 Posts
One option you could check out is bathing at a local pet store that has self-service dog washes. That is what I do with my Standards. I used to bathe at home in my large shower but there is now a Pet Valu with bathing stations about 10 mins from my house and that's where I do the dogs now. I like the shampoo I use so I bring my own, but it is provided if you want along with towels (so I don't have to wash towels or clean the bathroom anymore after bathing). The tubs are plenty large enough for big dogs and they are raised so much easier on me LOL. They also have force dryers so I get a lot of water out of their coats there and then put them up on the table and finish blowing out when I get home (I have my own force and professional stand dryer) to get them ready for finish clipping and scissoring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One option you could check out is bathing at a local pet store that has self-service dog washes. That is what I do with my Standards. I used to bathe at home in my large shower but there is now a Pet Valu with bathing stations about 10 mins from my house and that's where I do the dogs now. I like the shampoo I use so I bring my own, but it is provided if you want along with towels (so I don't have to wash towels or clean the bathroom anymore after bathing). The tubs are plenty large enough for big dogs and they are raised so much easier on me LOL. They also have force dryers so I get a lot of water out of their coats there and then put them up on the table and finish blowing out when I get home (I have my own force and professional stand dryer) to get them ready for finish clipping and scissoring.
I did check into that before I brought my SPOO home. We do have one but I would have to travel about 30 minutes or a little more to get there. The up-side of that, as you mentioned, is they do provide everything for the bath and they do the clean up after. If it was 10 minutes from me it would be a no brainer. I still have not ruled it out. I am planing to take Joey over and check the place out in person as soon as he is fully protected Vaccination wise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts