Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it easier to wait till the coat is at the right length or to set the pattern in the continental and let the coat grow in that way. I am going to do the continental cut but not sure if I should wait till he has more coat. I am impatient and would love a little less hair to deal with too lol

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I’ve done it both ways. I think it’s easier to cut now and let grow in because if you don’t quite get the proportions right it’s not as obvious. Then you can fudge the edges while you fix any problem. Once the hair is long enough to have a clear definition you will have the correct pattern.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks skylar that is really helpful. I took the plunge I get what you are saying I feel as though I got the basic pattern here but can do some tweaking as it grows in this is not finished yet obviously I haven’t touched the underline and the back poms need to be shaped but it’s a start. I welcome any critiques too

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very rough drawing but some idea. I also have a YouTube video on this trim on my YouTube asher_the_show_spoo
View attachment 463988
Omg awesome thank you. I see now the jacket should be further up I knew the rosettes weren’t quite right I was so afraid to take too much off lol he is well proportioned however he has very long legs and long back. I have watched so many videos it is definitely a difficult trim to get right especially when you are looking at nothing but hair. Thanks so much for your help

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is it easier to wait till the coat is at the right length or to set the pattern in the continental and let the coat grow in that way. I am going to do the continental cut but not sure if I should wait till he has more coat. I am impatient and would love a little less hair to deal with too lol View attachment 463975
Omg awesome thank you. I see now the jacket should be further up I knew the rosettes weren’t quite right I was so afraid to take too much off lol he is well proportioned however he has very long legs and long back. I have watched so many videos it is definitely a difficult trim to get right especially when you are looking at nothing but hair. Thanks so much for your help
Join the FB group "Poodles in Modified Continental". Lots of helpful discussion posts and also many, many picture examples of dogs in the cut with critique and help on getting it right.....

Reactions: townferret

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks it’s something different
Looking VERY pretty! I'm fairly new to purebred poodles so this is all so fascinating to me. Please do keep sharing.

Our groomer is itching to try one out on Peggy, but my husband will take some convincing.
I didn’t think I would like it on him but it’s growing on me

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ok here we are just clipped him again and made some adjustments not sure what to do with the back of the jacket the line looks straight to me when I have him on the table but when the hair starts to move when he gets down it looks like it is on an angle I think maybe I need to round off the hair at the back of the jacket but am having anxiety about it lol he coat takes so long to grow I find. I think something needs to be done though so you can see the straight line on the jacket. Any critiques are more than welcome thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
View attachment 464419
Ok here we are just clipped him again and made some adjustments not sure what to do with the back of the jacket the line looks straight to me when I have him on the table but when the hair starts to move when he gets down it looks like it is on an angle I think maybe I need to round off the hair at the back of the jacket but am having anxiety about it lol he coat takes so long to grow I find. I think something needs to be done though so you can see the straight line on the jacket. Any critiques are more than welcome thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok here is the latest update on his trim I know it’s minor changes but I shaped the jacket a little more and trimmed up his poms hoping it is improving as we go maybe there is no difference lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ok here is the latest update on his trim I know it’s minor changes but I shaped the jacket a little more and trimmed up his poms hoping it is improving as we go maybe there is no difference lol
View attachment 464586
He looks awesome!!! I just tried to do this clip on Bruno last night and failed miserably. I am thinking of just shaving his whole back end now his rosettes are like a mile away from his jacket and totally uneven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts