Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I came across this awesome grooming video on YouTube, and I wanted to share. I think the groomer does a really good job of explaining how to translate the cut onto your dog’s specific anatomy. It’s a continental tutorial, but a lot of the tips she provides I believe can be used for some other clips that come to mind: Miami, HCC, English saddle.

Some of my favorite “cheats” she explained:
Start off cutting your round parts square and worry about rounding it off later.
Use the last rib to determine the end of the jacket.
Use the clippers to make really straight lines.
No jacket hair below the elbow.
Use a horizontal line to determine ear length and rosette placement.
Use a vertical line to make space for the ear to lie flat.
Don’t cover up nice feet with hair.
Brush tail hair all past the end of the tail, then cut flat to start the shape.
Use a horizontal line to match front poms with back.
Don’t cut off too much from the top of the poms - it’s not a mirror image from the bottom part where the foot is.

If you get an hour and a half to watch it, let me know what you think! If nothing else, it’s pretty amazing to watch the skill and thought she puts into every cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow. 😲 I took the time to watch the whole video (cause I have nothing better to do and was curious). She puts a ton of thought into her grooming, and even though I would never do a full continental (way too time consuming), the tips on shaping the poms on the feet and the tail (and just shaping in general) are helpful for doing other clips, like you said. Overall, I'm just super impressed and have a greater appreciation for people who show their poodles and/or compete in grooming competitions. Now I need to search YouTube for more grooming goodness. 😊

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wow. 😲 I took the time to watch the whole video (cause I have nothing better to do and was curious). She puts a ton of thought into her grooming, and even though I would never do a full continental (way too time consuming), the tips on shaping the poms on the feet and the tail (and just shaping in general) are helpful for doing other clips, like you said. Overall, I'm just super impressed and have a greater appreciation for people who show their poodles and/or compete in grooming competitions. Now I need to search YouTube for more grooming goodness. 😊
This is going to blow your kind on how they get the continental floof with the spray up.

Blake, the groomer, breaks it down and makes it sounds really practical to do like we all can do it too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Blake, the groomer, breaks it down and makes it sounds really practical to do like we all can do it too.
He does make it look easy peasy. 😄 "I cOuLd Do ThAt ToO!" Jk. 🤣 To be honest, though, it looks much less intimidating on a toy or mini or a spoo puppy. Much less fur to deal with. It makes me really want MY OWN poodle to do whatever clip I want. As the groomer in the family, I'd be dead if I tried an elaborate clip on my mom's or older brother's spoos. "They are not going to be froo-froo poodles." I had to fight for ankle bracelets, tail pom, and fluffy topknot and ears. I think they are slowly 🤏 softening to letting me do whatever I want. 😉🤞

1 - 5 of 5 Posts