Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sopa is a year and a month old. When she was smaller her hair was very thin and soft, and now it is a bit thicker. The only part that mats is the hair on her ears, but I brush them every day, or every two days to maintain them.

She was in a puppy clip, and for the summer she was in a bikini clip. Right now she looks like a lamb because it is longer than it ever has been.

I want to know what my options are as far as getting her into a new clip. I really like the continental clip, but I have read that it is a lot of work to maintain. The only issue I could possible see is that during the summer we go to the beach a lot, but she usually goes to the groomers the next day (or I will give her a bath). She is clean all of the time, and I brush her hair almost daily.

I am not sure what is needed to get her in that clip, or what exactly I would need to do for it to look good.

I have noticed over time her hair changing, but I am not sure if she has adult hair now? How do I know when it has changed from puppy hair?

I have a groomer that I have known for many years now, and he would be doing the grooming (clipping and all of that). I only would give her baths in between grooming appointments when needed. She usually goes every three to four weeks to get groomed.

I really think it would be fun to have her in a continental clip even if it is for a few months, it is something I would like to try to keep up with.

I do not know if I should let her hair grow a lot before they clip her in that style for the first time, or if they should start it soon?

Advice, information, and opinions are greatly appreciated!

I have attached a picture of how she looked on November 2nd (her B-day). Her hair is about twice as long now. The groomer has only shaved her face, feet, tail since about October. I will try to get a new pic tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don't have any real info to answer your questions, unfortunately, but I am curious about the answers to this thread. :)
I love the continental clip, it would look really pretty on Sopa. I plan to put Desmond in it at some point, but not soon. I want to keep him looking like a puppy for a little while longer.

As far as maintenance, I always thought the continental would be slightly easier to take care of than an all-over long lamb? I mean unless it's a show coat with ALL that hair, then it's a ton of work. I would think a shorter modified continental like yours would be seems like any long haircut, just with less areas to brush.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I've posted a picture of my daughter's spoo in her modified continental on other threads, but I can do it again here... Katy has had Meau in this clip from the day she took her out of the puppy clip. Because Meau is not a show dog and we don't need to keep the coat in show quality, this cut isn't much harder to maintain than any other clip that has a little length to it... We do need to make sure her topknot and bracelets are combed frequently so they don't get matted - actually, she gets combed all over every couple of days, but we pay closest attention to her longer areas... We've found out that the groomer Katy has been taking Meau to will be charging around $100 - $130 to maintain this cut, but Katy really likes it so she's going to make it work... As I've mentioned before, if I ever choose this clip for Lucy, the bracelets & topknot will be quite a bit shorter and easier to maintain - I've always thought Katy liked them this long, but she did admit to me the other day that she wished the groomer would've taken them down a bit more... Here's Meau in a modified continental...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Want to know the best thing about doing haircuts on dogs? HAIR GROWS BACK! :D You have years to decide and choose different fun haircuts for her, I adore a modified cont. cut, and I'll probably keep my poodle in it for a period of time. I'm a groomer myself and an artist myself, so getting a poodle is going to be like getting a living mold of clay I get to sculpt.

You can keep a cont. clip pretty short, and even modify it for her collar so it doesn't mat there when she wears it. There was a dog that was introduced a couple months ago with a gorgeous modified cont. clip, let me see if I can find it. It's short and sytlist and I ADORE it.

I had to do a bit of digging, but this is what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
definitely you can start the trim now if that's what you want! A continental is only hard to keep if it's a show spoo and they have like a foot of hair length on their neck! lol. In those cases, their hair is treated like gold, and it's difficult to maintain over time.

A short pet continental won't be any harder to keep than your current length cos the groomer won't be attaching any hair onto it! lol. Go for it, you can do it now at any length and just grow it in a bit if that's what you want to do, or grow it OUT if you dont' want it anymore. lol!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that it is a good idea to do a modified version on Sopa. I love the pix that you guys have posted for ideas.

I will try to look at more pictures of modified cont. clips to have more of an idea, and be able to explain it better to her groomer.

I do have one question! I was wondering if I do get her clipped now into the new clip if her behind will get cold? Or, will she do fine on snow? We live in SoCal and it is never really cold, but I do plan on spending the holidays in a cabin where it does snow. I just want to know if she would do OK, or if I should wait until after that??

Thanks in advance to all the good advice :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
If she's an inside dog, I think she will be absolutely fine. It's below freezing here, and my dog that has hair so thin you can her skin and she does just fine in the cold! (Inside dog)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
We live in North Dakota and it was -15 (actual temperature - with the windchill it was more like -35 below zero) this morning. Meau's clip is starting to grow out a bit (and it was never quite as close a shave as the 2nd picture is) I'll ask Katy what blade they used for what so you can have an idea... So, anyway, at -35 windchill this morning, Meau was absolutely fine going outside, doing her "thing" and she was back inside within about 5 minutes... When our temperatures are more "normal", like about 20 to 30 degrees above zero, it's hard to get her to come back inside. The cold does not seem to bother her at all and she even sits that shaved butt in the snow to watch the rest of the pack in the yard!! :)

I'll let you know what Katy tells me about blade lengths...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Looking at Meau, I'm going to guess they use a #10 for her face and neck and a #7 on the shaved areas on her body, with the feet being #15, #30, #40

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Here's Katy's response to the email I sent to her asking about Meau's cut...

"Instructions as I gave the groomer (inform whoever you're talking to that I also said feel free to modify blades as you see fit, but she stayed pretty true to the instructions.)
# 10 blade on butt and legs.
#15 or #30 on face, and feet.
And for the jacket, I would go with the seasons, longer in the winter shorter in the summer, but i stick between the 3/4 in cc and the 1 1/2 cc."

But there are a multitude of variations you could go with and as others have said, it can be a work in progress with edits, changes, modifications, etc. over time - that's the beauty of poodles - Play with it!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I personally don't care for the Continental and I can hardly wait to shave down my show dogs. I think my girls look much better in a shaped Town and Country. I think it is the rare companion Poodle who looks good in a Continental. Remember that it takes a ton of hair spray to get that show look. Your girl will most likely be in something closer to an HCC. This is a close cut Continental with a scissored cap.

I think the HCC makes most dogs look short in the neck and long in the body. Remember too that when you shave down those hind quarters you are going to see everything. If your bitch has a low tail set or if she lacks shelf or if she is straight in the stifle, you are going to see it all!

As far as maintenance goes, longer hair = more thorough brushing. You just have to make sure that you are honestly getting down to the base of the skin or you will get matting.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I think the HCC makes most dogs look short in the neck and long in the body. Remember too that when you shave down those hind quarters you are going to see everything. If your bitch has a low tail set or if she lacks shelf or if she is straight in the stifle, you are going to see it all!
And this only matters if you really care or know about that stuff... I can honestly say that *I* have a low tail set and I'm probably straight in the stifle and I have a big a$$ and cankles, but my family doesn't love me one iota less because of my physical imperfections... Now, if I were a SHOW bitch, that would make a difference, but since I'm just a pet wife and mother, I really don't need to be or look perfect...

A great many regular people who are not "show savvy" see Chalumeau in her modified continental and they stop us in the street to tell us how beautiful they think she is... it's because they (and we) don't look at her with a critical, judging eye - we see a well cared for poodle who has haircut that a lot of people equate with poodles and they are happy to tell us that they think she looks good... but they're not looking at her faults (if they even remotely know what those are!)

It is just my opinion, that if you would like to try a certain clip on your dog, go for it! If YOU like it then don't worry about what other people say or think or judge - Unless you're going to show your dog - then you'd need to start worrying about tail sets and stifles and such... otherwise have fun and do what you want to do... good luck!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
It is just my opinion, that if you would like to try a certain clip on your dog, go for it! If YOU like it then don't worry about what other people say or think or judge - Unless you're going to show your dog - then you'd need to start worrying about tail sets and stifles and such... otherwise have fun and do what you want to do... good luck!
You should change that to breed. Showing is about evaluating breeding stock, it's not just a beauty pagent. Even if you don't show, you still need to pay attention to conformation. I realize Meau won't be bred and I think she looks darling in her clip. I also love the Continental and have every intention of trying it out on my future Poodle. I think you both raise interesting points. If it's just a pet, you can clip it anyway you want. Your opinion is all that matters and hair grows back. (Heck, I clipped baily like a Chinese Crested when I first go him. Mostly b/c his hair was in such bad shape.) But Cbrand is right, there will be no hair to hide anything, and any owner should prepare themselves for that. It doesn't hurt anything to take a critical look before commiting to the clip.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Thanks HC!! I guess where the term *show* came into my brain was specifically about the haircut and how it shows off or camouflages certain conformation discrepancies... YES, I agree... if you are going to show or breed you do need to worry about conformation...

However, the point I was trying to make is that if you have a pet poodle and would like to try a specific haircut, I wouldn't worry about how the clip may look to a dog show enthusiast... if YOU like it, and your dog is well groomed, I don't think you should discount the clip just in case a show-savvy person may tell you your dog has straight stifles.... :scared:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I admit to being totally VAIN about my dogs. Even though they are retired pets, I want them to look their best no matter if we are walking through the Farmer's Market or showing in Obedience.

For this reason, I like to keep my girls in trims that compliment their individual figures. I find that most Poodles don't look their best in a Continental.

To each their own.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
And this only matters if you really care or know about that stuff... I can honestly say that *I* have a low tail set and I'm probably straight in the stifle and I have a big a$$ and cankles, but my family doesn't love me one iota less because of my physical imperfections... Now, if I were a SHOW bitch, that would make a difference, but since I'm just a pet wife and mother, I really don't need to be or look perfect...

A great many regular people who are not "show savvy" see Chalumeau in her modified continental and they stop us in the street to tell us how beautiful they think she is... it's because they (and we) don't look at her with a critical, judging eye - we see a well cared for poodle who has haircut that a lot of people equate with poodles and they are happy to tell us that they think she looks good... but they're not looking at her faults (if they even remotely know what those are!)

I found this to be so funny! I mean Harry has a lower tail set but I personally don't give a rat's behind. I'm doing it because I want to explore different patterns and go through the list in case one day someone says to me, can you do this or that on my poodle? I can say well I can try because I set Harry into a pattern like that.

I happen to be overly crictical of my dog's imperfections but it's probably just displaced emotion about myself because honestly everyone that sees Harry says he's gorgeous and I think he is too.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Modified Conti's are fun and they only get a cold butt for a day but it's gotta be really cold, below freezing. They get used to it very fast. I like it because there is less hair to wash and brush out. Matting is reduced to mainly under the front legs and chest area or behind the ears where they scratch.
Here is my girl Lucy...

Here are Little kids, Buoy and Roxy...

This is my Show girl, Bindi, whom is just over a year...

My Blacks are in lambs or bikini cuts.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

:pound: I thought I was going to pee my pants!! Thank goodness I am not being shown!! :scared:

I am not going to be popular for this but I agree. Our dogs are in show coat because we want them to show and to breed. I love the continental myself but admit it is an extreme amount of work to grow and maintain. You have to be totally committed to taking care of those coats.

However, I have not made up my mind as to what cut I would like for my spoos when they are done showing. They are impressive in the continental and people just melt when they see a well cared for and groomed spoo in continental. But I think that they would have the same reaction to a spoo that is well cared for and in a good cut of any kind as long as it says poodle. And, I don't mind the amount of work I have to put into them right now. That may change later. But, after a year of it, I am still enjoying it.

It'll be interesting to see what I will do when that day comes for me.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
That's why you go for a modified conti and cut down all that mane hair and topknot to a reasonable amount of hair. Great thing about poodles is the hair can literally be sculpted to do whatever you want it to do.;)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I'm thinking that is probably what I am going to do....I know the people at the nursing home just love to see them like that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts