Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 yr old toy poodle licks front legs constantly and has balding now. No bleeding but bald is getting worse. Started on Left leg now working on right leg. Any remedies? She doesn’t go out much, it’s winter here and she goes on puppy pads.

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
If you’ve ruled out food or environmental allergies, or other health issues that could be making her itchy or nauseous, I’d say she’s probably bored or anxious. Do either of those sound like possibilities?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking it’s allergies but do not know how to figure out what she’s allergic too?

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Here's one member's journal investigating food allergies, generally done through elimination diets. It could also be environmental: mild, allergen-free cleaners (including laundry detergent) and careful tracking of potential outdoor allergens (less likely in winter, depending on where you are in the US).

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Does she have any other symptoms of allergies? It’s definitely possible, but based on personal experience with my past two dogs, allergic itching tends to make them so nuts, they eventually start nibbling or even biting at themselves. Licking just a single leg and then moving to the other seems a little odd to me. It reminds me more of how Gracie would sometimes lick the couch or blanket to self-soothe.

How long has this been going on for? And what does your vet have to say?

Does Maxie get adequate mental and physical exercise?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a Chihuahua who cleans her front legs a lot & then she has itchy moments where you'd think she has fleas. Can't find a flea. Whatever triggers her grows into itchiness. I have found a shampoo that is used to treat things like flea bite dermatitis, allergies, etc.. We use Tropiclean Oxi Med that we got from Petsmart. I gave her one bath in it & let it sit on her skin for about 8-10 minutes, rinsed her very thoroughly & she was good for a couple of weeks. We have no idea what triggers this in her. She's always funny about her front legs, clean, clean, clean but I notice she goes from licking to itching. We haven't figured out if it's a bug she encounters or a plant or weed that causes it. I flea comb her like I'm CSI hunting for crime evidence & thus far the Oxi Med is the only thing that stops it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
She is creating a "hot spot". This is usually a food problem, as stated above.
Read the label on your dog food. Some dogs do not tolerate corn. Check out dogfoodanalysis.com and find your dog's food and the rating.

You could feed her a single food for a few days and see how she reacts. Chicken to begin. Most dogs do well with chicken, but a few have a problem with it. Then, beef, etc.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If its not allergies, I have had really good luck with this stuff https://rb.gy/ehfk01 for dry skin. My dog gets dry skin under his legs during the winter when the air is dry. That stuff helps a ton.

Plus I'll put it on his paws, on cuts and scrapes, etc. Its pretty much magic

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some dogs develop OCD-like behaviors, and licking to the point of causing sores can be one of them. Lick granulomas can be a peal pain to get healed. I would talk to your vet about a multi-prong approach to getting them cleared up. It could involve things like topical medications, shots to help control itching, and antibiotics, as well as physical barriers like a cone or basket muzzle.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I agree it might be boredom. Beckie has food/environment intolerances that we’re investigating (Liz put up a link above to our quest) but she will also tend to lick her paws when she’s bored. Like we are now because of winter : we very rarely go for a walk and the dogs don’t stay outside to long to do their business because it’s too cold and too much snow.

Merlin also does sometimes. The trick is to stop them as soon as they start, so it doesn’t become a habit. I don’t let my dogs like their paws, except briefly. They understand and they will stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took Maxie to the vet. Due to no sore or redness he says most likely a behavior problem and gave her gentimyacin spray along with a soft cone to use and see if it gets better in a few days. I also am getting her the balm, hibiclebs and tropi stuff as well. So thankful for all your help! Looking forward to seeing relief for my poor little buddy.
many suggestions on behavior issues? Ugh!

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
Copying and pasting from the message I just sent you, as it may be helpful to the public conversation:

Happy there doesn’t seem to be anything physically wrong. :)

I would probably take a good look at her day-to-day life and assess whether or not she’s getting adequate physical and mental stimulation. Poodles are so smart and athletic.

They are also very sensitive, so you may also want to assess the stress levels in your home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts