Poodle Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Hi, any example Of how to mentally drain my dog?
Another way to tire any dog out is to "drain the brain" with training, or as the pup will know it, games. A mentally tired pup is just as tired as a physically tired pup, and gets great benefits from it.

Usually recommended is training the steps to qualify for a CGC whether you decide to pursue the title or not.
Canine Good Citizen (CGC) – American Kennel Club (akc.org)
Take the Test – American Kennel Club (akc.org)

Same goes for Trick Dog
AKC Trick Dog – American Kennel Club
Commenting on the E-collar solution. It does work by telling the pup what NOT to do but the follow up and more important part of the equation is giving the information of what TO do in place of the unwanted behavior. When puppy stops the unwanted behavior instantly give them a desired behavior to perform in it's place.

The negative reinforcement of the E-collar should be phased out in favor of a positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
I’m not sure you have a complete solution. You have done good work reducing frequency but what is stopping him from eating out of the trash or stealing food from your daughter when you are there to watch him closely?

Clearly he has learned that this training doesn’t stop him because he has continued. Each success will embolden him to continue. he’s self rewarded when he does it. How will you countermanded this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m not sure you have a complete solution. You have done good work reducing frequency but what is stopping him from eating out of the trash or stealing food from your daughter when you are there to watch him closely?

Clearly he has learned that this training doesn’t stop him because he has continued. Each success will embolden him to continue. he’s self rewarded when he does it. How will you countermanded this?
When he avoids the temptation I reward him with praise and treats. If I see that he is thinking about it (staring at my daughter like his is planning his attack move), I ask him to go to his place before he becomes successful. He is great at going to his place every time I ask. Once he is there, I always reward him. It could be praise, it could be a chew treat, it could be a kibble, sometimes just affection. I try to avoid the situation by asking him to go to his place when I am cooking, so he is not snooping around the kitchen. He hasn't counter surfed or dug into the trash since we started but he is still curious (sniffing at the counter and around the trash) but he is hesitant so I can usually catch it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts