Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to convince my DS to get a standard poodle as a pet. She is not a big fan of poodle cuts, shaved face etc. and has never warmed up to it. She prefers labs or goldens. I been trying to convince her that we can chose to not have them groomed like a poodle and maintain them with regular grooming but no shaving. (shaggy look or teddy bear cut).

To help with my quest...can you all send me few pics of grown standard poodle without the shaving. I think it will help me tip the balance in favor of poodle.:)
I am considering red standard poodles but any color with shaggy or teddy bear cut would work for me.

To me in every other department poodles are as good, smart, friendly as goldens or labs.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You might want to remind her that poodles do not shed. That is just one of the many advantages.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I keep my cut and face shaved. I can't imagine getting thru all the hair b ut of course its possible. I have to brush& comb ears every day or they will begin to mat. Its also nice and clean to have face shaved and feet. I don't think you can convince someone to get a certain breed. Poodles are wonderful though. And yes as mentioned no shedding thats a plus to me!

·
Super Moderator
3,150 Posts
See pics on Posts #26 & 27 on that thread.

For toy and miniatures, google "poodle Asian clip" or "poodle Asian fusion", which are popular. The above link to photos are of a Standard with a modified style.

Neither have the shaggy/curly look on the face that you'll get in a labradoodle but they have their own charm and are not your conventional poodle look.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My dogs have their faces shaved, so I can't help with a photo.

I love goldens, and when I finally got to the stage in life when I thought I had the time for a dog, I was choosing between poodles and goldens. I went with poodles for 3 reasons:

1. Poodles do not shed (as Johanna mentioned). Goldens are huge shedders. I love not having to vacuum every couple of days, and I don't mind paying for grooming.

2. Poodles do not get fat. Goldens must have very disciplined owners or they will get fat. A golden will always tell you he is hungry. I think labs are the same. I am just not the kind of person that can say no to those pleading eyes that are begging for just one more treat... and then another... and another... My poodles are just not that food motivated. They sometimes don't even bother to finish their home-cooked supper.

3. There is a pond in the park that we like to go to. Some poodles love the water, but none of mine have ever wanted to go swimming in this pond. I've watched as lab and golden owners have tried to keep their dogs away from the pond, usually without success. I did not want to deal with a long-haired dog who wanted to go swimming in a pond that sometimes gets a bit slimey. So I am very happy that my poodles do not want to go swimming.

So those were my reasons.

Best of luck to you and your DS and you try to decide.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Search for a member here, itzaclip. Her spoos were in a teddy bear cut and she is a fantastic groomer.

I had goldens and labs before and i must say the poodle is my favourite, the intelligence boggles me and the fact that it doesn’t take me ages to teach him a new trick is fantastic.

Poodles are high maintenance breed, so if you want to keep that teddy bear cut, be prepared to brush daily. But the puppy would have to have their face shaved quite a fair bit when they are young so they get used to it. I have a red mini, it took 2 months of growing his face hair and this was all i got...lol, but this was his halloween costume when he was 6 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Although my Louie's coat is shorter now I am stopped several times a day by people who can't believe that he is a Poodle. I am usually asked what kind of -Poo he is.
I highly recommend Poodles - they are quite unique in their type of intelligence - puppyhood is a bit crazy - but then again it usually is - but once they have settled I am delighted with my dog's understanding (he really is a thinker) his general easiness even in difficult situations, his attitude towards other animals (he is friendly but not needy and ignores unfriendly dogs completely - making wonderful eye contact with me while we pass them). Louie is a mini - a size I thought was too small for me coming from big dogs - I cannot express how much easier my life is now due to his smaller size. He is in no way a small dog in mind - just a big personality in a smaller body. Here is my favorite picture: btw I fell in love with grooming and the way of expressing their unique personality through the gorgeous hair. Louie is generally kept in a hippie cut - as my vet calls it - and I love it! Also seriously no shedding at all - ever! Coming from crazy shedding breeds its a revelation!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
My guess is your DS prefers the blockier face of goldens and Labs. You can groom your poodle any way you like. Besides being smarter and non shedding, they come in so many colors! White, black, cream, red, apricot, silver, brown, blue, silver beige and parti colors. Three sizes too. It’s a breed upgrade, despite the different silhouette. Good luck with your efforts for a breed change!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts