Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Lol!

I didn't really think of it that way!

Lab people must hate to see the labradoodle.

I think we think it that way because, all of these mutts all have one thing in common: The Poodle.

So it's not so much the other breeds involved, bar the Labrador

·
Registered
356 Posts
Golden doodles are a dime a dozen in my home town - when I talk to the owners about grooming - (I refer to them as my dog's poor country cousin) - I think that most like the "look" of their doodle and are honestly surprised when I tell them that I can get my purebred standard poodles to look like their doodles in just a few months of hair growth and they will GUARANTEED to be non-shedding (which is what most doodle owners are after). I think that most doodle owners think that poodles don't grow hair on their faces and feet. They have no idea that they are actually groomed this way. LOL

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Golden doodles are a dime a dozen in my home town - when I talk to the owners about grooming - (I refer to them as my dog's poor country cousin) - I think that most like the "look" of their doodle and are honestly surprised when I tell them that I can get my purebred standard poodles to look like their doodles in just a few months of hair growth and they will GUARANTEED to be non-shedding (which is what most doodle owners are after). I think that most doodle owners think that poodles don't grow hair on their faces and feet. They have no idea that they are actually groomed this way. LOL
Thats exactly right! They grow 2 pieces of perfectly round fur circles on their butts!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I know the Labrador club has a statement on their site that says they are against cross breeding. IDK about the Golden Retriever club but I imagine they have something similar.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Kanatadoggroomer is right about that. People are often surprised when I tell them Teddy is full poodle. When I say, you probably can't see it because his face isn't shaved, they go 'ah'.

You know, the first poodle I ever had contact with was a mini owned by one of my friends' family. It was a black kept perpetually in a puppy clip with a fuzzy face. I guess for some people it's the opposite.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a friend who is very involved in showing Goldens in Conformation/Obedience/Rally and obtaining hunting titles as well. She is also a breeder and very much opposes the crossbreeding of goldens and poodles. Here is what the GRCA has to say; taken from their website.

"The Golden Retriever Club of America is dedicated to the health and welfare of the Golden Retriever breed while conserving the original breed function - that of a "working retriever." A purebred dog offers to his owner the likelihood that he will be a specific size, shape, color and temperament.

The predictability of a breed comes from selection for traits that are desirable and away from traits that are undesirable. When a breed standard or type is set, the animals within that breed have less heterozygosity than do animals in a random population. The Goldendoodle is nothing more than an expensive mongrel. Because the genetic makeup is diverse from the Poodle genes and the Golden Retriever genes, the resultant first generation (F1) offspring is a complete genetic gamble. The dog may be any size, color, coat texture and temperament. Indeed Goldendoodles do shed. Their coat may be wiry or silky and may mat. Body shape varies with parentage but tends to be lanky and narrow. Behavior varies with the dog and within a litter with some puppies poodle-like in attitude and others somewhat like the Golden Retriever.

The Golden Retriever Club of America is opposed to cross-breeding of dogs and is particularly opposed to the deliberate crossing of Golden Retrievers with any other breed. These crossbreds are a deliberate attempt to mislead the public with the idea that there is an advantage to these designer dogs. The crossbred dogs are prone to all of the genetic disease of both breeds and offer none of the advantages that owning a purebred dog has to offer."

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have to comment on the poodle, fuzzy face thing. I just came across one of those yahoo question forum things where someone actually asked if they can prevent their new poodle puppy's hair from falling out on it's face and feet. Someone actually had to explain that the hair doesn't fall out and that it is a haircut, not something that just HAPPENS to poodles. Boy do I feel for that person's poor poodle.

Back to the thread, I recently talked to a lab owner at the dogpark here about the doodles and he can't understand why someone would want to mix a lab with a sissy dog like a poodle. Of course, I don't agree with the sissy part.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I wondered the same thing but never went snooping. I expected them to feel the same as we do, but you never know...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Talking about doodles. I just went on one of the big doodle sites. This is pitiful. Someone wants to breed their standard female to a male border collie. When will it end? http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/considering-a-doodle-litter?id=2065244%3ATopic%3A1047068&page=1#comments
OMG, if there weren't dogs' lives at stake, that forum would be hilarious!

A few of my favorite quotes:
"There are LD and GD rescue organizations. So a 'breed' specific community dog enthusiasts exists and thrives for the LD and GD."
Having a need for rescue so early in their development means they are a legitimate breed!?! I think means that they need to rethink the whole idea. I started out looking for a rescue Poodle and found several "doodles" for every one purebred. I'm not anti mutt, but I do not want anything mixed w/ retriever (I just don't care for them) or Irish Wolfhound (beautiful dogs w/ aparently great temperments, but have very short life spans and they are HUGE).

20 years ago most of us would probably have said: "Goldendoodles??? Why do something so silly and crazy! Plenty of poodle mix mutts out there...don't be stupid and breed it on purpose like those BYB's!"
Plenty of people still think that.

Kat, we're all giving you a hard time because we are quite protective of the doodle reputation and of dogs in general.
I've honestly never heard anything good about them except from the breeders, who have a good reason to lie ($). The are the most common breed that's complained about on the grooming forums. What I've heard from owners is they shed, mat, are high strung and just as many if not more are affected by genetic disease. Like I said above there seems to be disproportionate amount of them in rescue too. Why would you be protective of that reputation?

"I have noticed what seems to me to be a trend toward riding the coattails of the Doodle popularity by breeding a Poodle to most any other breed and making up a name that ends in Doodle. When I think Doodle I don't think of Bordoodle, I think Labradoodle. I was quite the Doodle purist for a while and even had a hard time with Goldendoodles. "
LOL, the first Poodle mixes I ever heard of were "cockapoos and schnoodles" and there were accidental litters sold quite cheaply. Am I completely out of touch?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The comment about the doodle rescues got to me. I think that instead of showing that the GD and LD are true breeds it shows that there is a NEED for the rescue organizations. That the mixes aren't all they're cracked up to be. I understand loving your dog, no matter what the breed, but being proud that there are so many dumped that they need their own rescues?

The lady who thought bordoodles, or whatever, were a great idea annoyed the heck out of me but what worried me more is her spoo's scary breeding contract? She stated clearly that the spoo isn't of good quality, pedigree not impressive, back to long etc, yet the breeder made it so the dog HAD to be bred just so the breeder will get a new uterus? Scary. Great example for the wanna be bordoodle "breeder".

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Oh yea, that Poodle is definately from a BYB/puppymill and shouldn't be bred, but her owner is going to do whatever. Those types are on most forums and they just don't get it. (It's really surprising there aren't any like that here, very refreshing.)

·
Registered
708 Posts
The lady who thought bordoodles, or whatever, were a great idea annoyed the heck out of me but what worried me more is her spoo's scary breeding contract? She stated clearly that the spoo isn't of good quality, pedigree not impressive, back to long etc, yet the breeder made it so the dog HAD to be bred just so the breeder will get a new uterus? Scary. Great example for the wanna be bordoodle "breeder".
I know poor spoo!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Doodle breeders just make my head explode. You know how I feel about waiting to breed. This was posted on a Doodle breeder's forum yesterday:

On breeding an 8 month old stud...
susie - doodleranch
are there any health related issues that would garner his "product" too young? is it even possible that he would produce? any cons i am not addressing? thanks so much!

Reply from another "breeder"
Alysen - Corinth Doodles
Yes, our F1 goldendoodle stud who is now almost 13 months old sired 2 litters at 8 months of age. One litter had 10 and the other 11.

Proof again that Doodle breeders know little to nothing about the breed that makes up 75% to 86% of their dogs.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts