Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever showed their poodle in a Conformation Show?

It was something that actually caught my interest while
taking a tour on the AKC website, it looks like something
I would like to try perhaps in the future one of my
miniatures.

I have so many questions about it I can't post them all, lol.
But if anyone has any experience, I would love to throw some
questions at you! :p

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I haven't shown Poodles but I have shown many times both UKC and AKC with our Amstaffs. Its pretty much the same besides it being much more political. The politic stuff is present in every breed, some more than others.

But shoot some questions. I would love to help if I can.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know what an Amstaff was, I had to google it!
Looks like a bulldog, isn't it one? Sorry, I don't
know too much, lol. :p

Okay some questions:

-What are the rules and guidelines of showing a dog with AKC?
(I looked and looked and couldn't find anything, lol)

-How do you know if your dog has show quality or not?

...I think that's all I can think of right now this early in the morning.:)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
An amstaff (American Staffordshire Terrier) is the AKC version of a pitbull. They are wonderful dogs even though society seems to have a bad view on bully breeds particularly Pits. It all in how you raise them...they are just a dog.

Rules and regs.... dogs and bitches cannot be altered. They have to be intact. You are presenting what you believe is good breeding stock.

Ill be right back.... baby crying lol

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An amstaff (American Staffordshire Terrier) is the AKC version of a pitbull. They are wonderful dogs even though society seems to have a bad view on bully breeds particularly Pits. It all in how you raise them...they are just a dog.

Rules and regs.... dogs and bitches cannot be altered. They have to be intact. You are presenting what you believe is good breeding stock.

Ill be right back.... baby crying lol
Oh, but I love bulldogs, my mum has several American's and one of them
is a stud, I forgot his registry though.:confused:

This is King Diablo Benton, lol:

He is a beautiful boy, I love him to bits!

Okay, must be intact...gotcha!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I do conformation. Here is a pic of my champion boy Maestro. I no longer have my minis, I miss my minis :(

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do conformation. Here is a pic of my champion boy Maestro. I no longer have my minis, I miss my minis :(

BEAUTIFUL, look at that posture and the way he holds himself!
My question is...how the heck do you train them to stand still
in that stance? He is lovely, Sivaro!:D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Practice Practice Practice. :D
Keep at them every day. Once they know what you are asking them, they are quite obedient.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You should start stacking your pup now. When you are playing with your dog just stack her up. Do it like 3 or 4 times a day. I would say try it for no more then 5 minutes each time. As she gets older you can increase the sessions to longer.

The main thing you want is for her to like it. Give her a treat after or during depending on how it goes. Some puppies get too excited if you try to give treats during the stack. :)

Here are a few picks of our show dogs we had. We had some nice dogs...I miss them. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mercymoon,

Around here we have kennel clubs that put on training classes for conformation. Its like 6 bucks a class.... you just show up or don't and pay that day. Its usually in a park, only like 8-10 people at the most. Its great training for you and your pup (ecspecially the pup).

Im going to start taking Mikey so he gets used to having stranger's running there hands on him. He is a showy guy...... just loves being out, showing off.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You should start stacking your pup now. When you are playing with your dog just stack her up. Do it like 3 or 4 times a day. I would say try it for no more then 5 minutes each time. As she gets older you can increase the sessions to longer.

The main thing you want is for her to like it. Give her a treat after or during depending on how it goes. Some puppies get too excited if you try to give treats during the stack. :)

Here are a few picks of our show dogs we had. We had some nice dogs...I miss them. :(

Just gorgeous. Love the cropped ears too.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Not sure about in the US, but here we only have 3. You can add to the pedigree but they only do three here.
My eight year old male stud has a 3 generation AKC pedigree, and I was
really considering working with him to show him in his first conformation
show, do you think he's too old to show for the first time? Maybe I should
consider showing another dog...

Does anyone else know about the whole pedigree ordeal?:confused:

EDIT: Scratch that, I don't think his coat would be long enough to groom
in a required clip by time the show rolls around here, darn. What
clips can an eight year old miniature have for a show?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Personally I wouldnt bother. He would be good for veterans only at a specialty show. Just concentrate on the pup, she would be easier to train. Dont cut any of her topknot you have done, or the body coat, see if someone can do it or assist you into how to do a puppy trim.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I wouldnt bother. He would be good for veterans only at a specialty show. Just concentrate on the pup, she would be easier to train. Dont cut any of her topknot you have done, or the body coat, see if someone can do it or assist you into how to do a puppy trim.
Okay. The thing is I can't show her though, makes me sad..she is
a beautiful purebred dog from a nice lineage but with a crappy
registry, that's one of the reasons I was looking for another
puppy, one that is AKC to show and one that I can double
register to her registry also. *Sigh* Soooo confusing.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I dont understand what it is about crappy registry. Here there is only one register, so either they are registered or not. Main reg means you can show and breed, limited means its a pet and you cant show. Is this what you are talking about. Or is there two registers being AKC and UKC. If there is, I still dont understand why you cant show.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont understand what it is about crappy registry. Here there is only one register, so either they are registered or not. Main reg means you can show and breed, limited means its a pet and you cant show. Is this what you are talking about. Or is there two registers being AKC and UKC. If there is, I still dont understand why you cant show.
There is several registries here in the US, not all of them being
good ones though, like CKC (her registry) and the ACA. She
doesn't have a limited registry though, but even if I can't breed
her that will be fine,she makes a wonderful pet and companion papers
or not.:)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
All our papers are through one Kennel Council here. Little wonder people get stooged when they want something for show. It should be against the law to register dodgey papers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts