Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrrggghhh! When my Spoo was about a year and a half he almost died. He lost about a third (I have forgotten exactly how much) of his body weight. He lost everything, either throwing up or out the other end with diahreah. The vet made me try every single expensive and prescribed dog food. He ended up lethargic, neither eating nor drinking, and on IV fluids at the vets. I thought I would lose him.

When I called his breeder she said she had bred three generations of her spoos on raw food. His vet thought raw was the worst. Well, I thought he was dying, and so I tried to see if he would eat a chicken leg, raw, bone and all. He not only ate it but came out of his stupor. We have never turned back and he now eats everything from chicken leg quarters, to kangaroo, to deer liver, plus fruits and vegetables.

Well, we went to a friends yesterday. She is one of those people who simply leaves her raw kibble dog food out for free feeding. When we went in I realized my spoo started eating it, so I put it up on the counter. I am so sorry I had not immediately seen it! My Spoo is now 10 years old.

Two hours later my spoo threw up all over my car! Yuck, hours of cleaning, but it is 20 degrees out and I cannot get it all cleaned up as some of it is frozen. Two days later and my dear Spoo is still laying around acting lifeless.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I think before you make a statement that your dog can’t eat any kibble, you have to look at he ingredients. It may not be kibble itself but one or more of the ingredients in the kibble. My dog can‘t tolerate legumes, she throws up, diarrhea, mucus, blood etc. She is seriously ill. Legumes seem to be in most kibble, and in many other forms of dog food from peas added to canned wet food and peanut in training treats. I could easily make the statement my dog can’t eat commercially prepared food. But she can if I’m very careful and spend hours in the store or on line looking at the ingredients. I not only have to avoid legumes but other additives like glycerine. I do home cook her food because I gave up looking for a commercial product but I have found some training treats she can enjoy.

You might have a similar experience where your Dog can’t tolerate or has allergies to a very common ingredient found in most dog food including kibble. Like me you may have found it’s easier to make your own dog food to keep your dog healthy and happy. I don’t have to read Each bag worrying if a manufacturer changed ingredients.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Hope he starts improving soon.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, he was fine within a few hours of getting it all out of his system. He has sudden diet changes several times a week, but not to kibble.

Skylar I know what you mean about companies changing their ingredients! I have that problem with people food too. I finally find something I like, and then they change it. I think by preparing our own, and our animals food we are getting healthier meals without things overcooked, preservatives, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts