Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to admit that when I first decided the poodle was the right dog for me all those months ago, I wasn't totally in love with the way they looked in traditional poodle clips. I was more drawn to their personality, intelligence, non-shedding and size. When I decided this was the brood I was going for, I decided just because I got a poodle it wouldn't have to look like a poodle. Maybe I could leave its nose hair long and clip it more like a mini PWD.

But as I have seen more and more photos here and fallen more and more in love with the breed, I have to admit I'm a convert! Now I think poodles look less attractive if they don't have the shaved noses and feet at the very least. My next step is to convert my friends and family to my new way of thinking. People don't always have the most positive reaction to news that you're getting a poodle. But I'm hopeful that by embracing the poodle look and hopefully having a wonderful pup loved by all, I will switch their thinking!

So how about all of you? Anyone else have a similar journey to mine, or did you all love the poodle as soon as you first saw it?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
So I have to admit that when I first decided the poodle was the right dog for me all those months ago, I wasn't totally in love with the way they looked in traditional poodle clips. I was more drawn to their personality, intelligence, non-shedding and size. When I decided this was the brood I was going for, I decided just because I got a poodle it wouldn't have to look like a poodle. Maybe I could leave its nose hair long and clip it more like a mini PWD.

But as I have seen more and more photos here and fallen more and more in love with the breed, I have to admit I'm a convert! Now I think poodles look less attractive if they don't have the shaved noses and feet at the very least. My next step is to convert my friends and family to my new way of thinking. People don't always have the most positive reaction to news that you're getting a poodle. But I'm hopeful that by embracing the poodle look and hopefully having a wonderful pup loved by all, I will switch their thinking!

So how about all of you? Anyone else have a similar journey to mine, or did you all love the poodle as soon as you first saw it?
I have to agree.. I'm totally not a fan of most of the poodle cuts, but what really draws me to poodles are their intelligence & the fact that they don't shed, and most of all their personalities.... they can be so silly!
LOL! Good for you, I'm sure your family will easily be converted... muahhahahahaha!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I love a lot of breeds and I am originally a GSD, Rottie and pit bull person. I like working breeds and dogs of intelligence. I prefer medium to large dogs. My sister was sold on dobies for the longest but when she started to groom poodles she notice how similar they where to dobies( some of the poodles she groomed even tried to protected her from strangers that came to look lol).

She also likes to do hair and this what led us to poodles. I did not care for them at first but Enzo is the funniest dog I have every been around. I also love how EASY he is to train. I can literally train him a new trick in 5 mins.

I also love how I can talk to him and you can see brain is working he stares at me trying to figure out what I am saying. I think its so fascinating. He knows the human language pretty well. The other day we where teasing him by saying " get out of here" we say this to our cats all of the time and our cats usually run and hide , enzo chases them. So when I say get out of here you should see him look and stand still ready to pounce. ( I will have video of that as soon as my new camera comes today lol. it is so funny.

I also like how he loves water !

I am still trying to convert My bf lol

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think the show clips are an aquired taste. I didn't like them at first either, but when I really understood the work that goes into it and how the clip complements the dogs, I changed my mind. I went from think "ew that dog has a shaved butt" to "wow, that dog is in great shape, has good angulation, etc." You can't tell that on a lot of breeds, even the ones w/ shorter hair. Of course it seems like a lot of people think their hair must grow that way or something b/c they don't like the poodle look. The awesome thing about them is they can be groomed anyway you wish.

Besides the looks, I love the fact that they are not only intellegent but eager to please. I also like the fact that while Standards look big, they aren't quite as big as the large breeds I'm used too. (My SIL's spoo is taller that my Rottie but probably weighs half as much. Paddy can curl up on the couch w/ ouut taking up two seat cusions and even sit in you lap!)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I think the show clips are an aquired taste. I didn't like them at first either, but when I really understood the work that goes into it and how the clip complements the dogs, I changed my mind. I went from think "ew that dog has a shaved butt" to "wow, that dog is in great shape, has good angulation, etc." You can't tell that on a lot of breeds, even the ones w/ shorter hair. Of course it seems like a lot of people think their hair must grow that way or something b/c they don't like the poodle look. The awesome thing about them is they can be groomed anyway you wish.

Besides the looks, I love the fact that they are not only intellegent but eager to please. I also like the fact that while Standards look big, they aren't quite as big as the large breeds I'm used too. (My SIL's spoo is taller that my Rottie but probably weighs half as much. Paddy can curl up on the couch w/ ouut taking up two seat cusions and even sit in you lap!)

I know i just love scooping Enzo up in my arms lol he is so light people think I am strong hahahaha

·
Registered
89 Posts
The show cuts are growing on me after seeing so many! I never thought I would shave the face, but I'm starting to like it. At first I remember seeing those shaved feet and thinking how long those toes looked! Now I think they are pretty darn cute.

:)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I am admittedly not fond of the show clips, but we'll see how that turns out.

Flip seems like he is going to be a rough and tumble kind of boy, so he might need a more manly 'do.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I got my first standard when I was 13 , and since than no dog could compare - I tried , I honestly did !!! My hubby was completely against having a poodle and since I love dogs in general, I thought I might find some other breed that is more "masculine" and still offer at least 90 % of what poodle can offer.

Well - to make the story short , after spending A LOT of time with other breeds and finally DRAGGING my hubby to a poodle breeder to meet the spoo first time in his life - he was sold on the idea the very same evening LOL !!!! Now he is just in love with standards and every time we spend some time with them he always says at the end - " I just can not believe that dog can be so smart and that there is absolutely NOOOOOOOO doggy smell !!!! I mean, there is no smell of anything but fresh air in that hair !?! Even people smell !!!!" Ahahahahahah- I always laugh at him since I could never before convince him that there IS a dog that is non shedding, non smelling, obedient, easy to train, friendly but not hyper, could be a good watch-dog but not ever aggressive, very athletic but not hyper in the house, not "mouthy" , not drooling, big but light enough to carry LOL, - oh boy - where is my "off" button lol

In "my book" no dog can compare in having it ALL and more !!!!! :rofl::love:

PS: Poodle can have any haircut you imagine ! I saw black standard that was cut to resemble Bouvier and also Portuguese . Minis are often seen in Bichon cut.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've been to a few dog shows in my day and everytime a Standard walks past me in full Continental clip I always found myself in awe... maybe because of the artistry involved or the way the poodle pranced with his head in the air! I don't know, I always thought it was eye catching, even stunning in a way, but still very odd and unusual! I also have to admit that in my humble opinion the poof balls, pom poms and a bare bums still look slightly ridiculous to me when I see it in pictures of dogs playing in the back yard or with other dogs at the dog park! :lol: I almost feel embarrassed for the poodle! Like, please cover my bum! :bootyshake: haha
My Rogan will always have a nice, clean, shaved face and feet and will sport a practical but well groomed clip similar to Gunther's (I love ALL his pics on here). Basically, longer in the leg and blended into a shorter body, with top knot full and fluffy, but blended into long ears, (not like a poof ball on top of the head). Face, feet and tail shaved FOR SURE. More and more faces are being left unshaven and I have to say I just don't like it AT ALL... it just doesn't look like a poodle should look to me!
I love the look of Afghans Hounds and Chinese Crested hairless dogs... so that may explain why I like the long, lean, unshaven face of Standard Poodles.
To each his own, please note, this is JMO! :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
OMG, i was SO like that when i first researched poodles!! I thought i loved the breed, but not the cut, so i would just shave my poodle straight down all the time.
Now, i LOVE the look of a full groomed poodle, and i truely love the "shaved butt" look of the show dogs (except when their topknot is so long it tips over when trotting :)). If i could keep up with that clip on my dog i would (Riley actually was shaved into this for a summer, but my family veto'd it so much i let it grow back in).

Riley has had So many different clips of different lengths over his life, and i have loved them all (except the bedlington ears, but there is an excuse for that ;)). I really enjoy Rileys short clip right now, but love the long hair the best. I will Always have a poodle with short face/feet!! I cant stand a beard on a dog, and dont like the look of messy furry feet. I love a kissable shaved face so i can give lots of smooches!!

It truely is the dog under the hair that i love the most though! :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think my pup will always have a shaved nose too... Then next summer my mom will put him/ her in a PWD lion clip just for fun! That's a shaved nose and bum. I have to admit I love the shaved bum, it makes them so smackable, haha. And I agree a shaved nose is very kissable. :) Our dogs always seem super excited and run around like mad things after they've been shaved. Like they can suddenly feel the air on their skin and it gets them all riled up!

The only bummer with the shaved bum is that people in the park constantly ask if the dog's had surgery, haha.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I SO know what you mean about "smackable"!! I loved to wack Rileys butt when it was shaved! Once he had an ultrasound so his belly and sides were shaved. I couldnt resist thwacking that all the time either. Gosh, this sounds like a very dirty post! :D

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I remember yeeeeeeeeeeears ago doing those 'what breed suits you' quizes online as a kid (cos I loved dogs. All dogs. I reckoned I could own any of them! Or all of them... heh) and the standard poodle kept cropping up in my top three breeds suitable for me, btu i was forever writing them off, I mean, a POODLE! Ugh, who'd actually WANT to own that frou frou thing! The shaved bits, the fuzz, ugh! Give me a REAL dog any day.... But funnily enough, they still kept coming up in quises etc as apparently suiting me, my life, and my desires, to a T. I just didn't know it yet. lol!

Since being a groomer my mindset has changed, to the point I dreamed day and night of having one. heh. I love all clips on them, cos I know the styling involved and how you actually subtly change it to enhance the confirmation of any dog and make them look gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
LOL... I guess it seems many of us had the same ideas at first. I and my sister wanted to get a poodle to go to the nursing home to visit with our mom who has Alzheimer's so we got our first poodle. We both said, "The face, feet, tail will be clipped but we DO NOT want to put one of those foo foo, weird continental clips on it". LOL. YEP, OK!

Now, we LOVE the continental! It is a lot of work but we both love the looks of the poodle in that clip. When we take our dogs out for the day, we are surrounded by people wanting to pet and talk about the dogs. And who do they go to first? Billy & Grace with their continental clips! They love the pups (Taffy, Ivy, Chantel) and pet and coo at them, but they just marvel at the beauty of Billy and Grace. I keep wondering if after Grace goes in the show ring, will I clip her into a sporting clip or keep her in the continental???? I guess I'll have to decide that later on. lol.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I SO know what you mean about "smackable"!! I loved to wack Rileys butt when it was shaved! Once he had an ultrasound so his belly and sides were shaved. I couldnt resist thwacking that all the time either. Gosh, this sounds like a very dirty post! :D
LOL! Yep, that's me! When I shave Billy down I have to pop his butt a few times because it feels so neat. I used to give a little pop to my babies butts after a bath and they would laugh. There is just something very inviting about those naked little butts. :smile-big:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cos I loved dogs. All dogs. I reckoned I could own any of them! Or all of them... heh
Me too! Sadly I'm mildly allergic to most dogs, so that limits those I can consider... I'm even allergic to some of the non shedders, like the shih tzu. But really I just love dogs full stop and wish I could have a house full of different types!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had a toy poodle for 16 years-I just lost him this year-and I never had him clipped to look like a poodle-always an unshaved face and fuzzy look-never clean-shaved toes! I loved him but did not like the 'poodle look'. Now I have 2 minis and have slowly come around to more of the poodle look-I really loved the Miami clip I got on Levi a few weeks ago-he is such an elegant-looking guy. So yes-I agree, the personality of the dog grows on you maybe before the look of the dog.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Saffy loves it when we are running and I 'smack' her bum, she then goes into a full sprint, then turns round and jumps me lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts