Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm Enzo's owner, Roxy sister hahahaha, any-who, I have a question about conditioning as in body/muscle tone/and weight.

I don't know if its growing pains (lol) or I over exercise him.I feed him well, 2 large portions a day, some healthy treats in between.But I noticed he is thin as i think I can feel too much rib and some of his back bone. This is not extreme but I'm raising my eyebrow lol. I have read books on conditioning your poodle for show. It also talks about how certain body types need more time to mature, and how to keep their weight to good condition. One of my mentors also said reds can be skinny while growing b/c its just their nature from their line. But when they mature they have a normal weight, and will be easier for them to keep them in normal shape.

What I'm thinking is he may have parasites lol. He has had a flea battle one time only after I took him to a show. I got flea shampoo/frontline immediately after.Plus he has got in the litter box when he was younger. Though I thought I de-wormed him of the main problem as well as the cats.

I guess I'll do it again, but for a broader spectrum. Note, I did not see anything in his stool, though I know a microscope inspection is a must. If this is not the problem I'll look at other issues. Right now the only way I can describe his body condition is that he simi feels like a greyhound not in structure but as in conditioning. Or a simi-ABDA game bred Pit Bull once again not in structure but in conditioning. He has muscle, so I know hes not completely starving. I even cut back on the tread mill and let him just naturally run, to see if it helped but so far very little difference.

Maybe I'm over reacting, and everyone Standard Poodle is the same. I guess I'll have to touch some poodles at the show, ranging in ages to find out. Though at a poodle specialty Enzo's competitor (which he beat he he). The owner/handler said her dog was nothing but skinny bones he needs to mature. So go figure????

·
Registered
875 Posts
He's not quite a year old, he will grow tall then wide :)

I would get a fecal done before you de-worm him, that way you can treat whats there, and not clean him out.

You can up his food intake, but if he has good muscle, Its probally just the way he is maturing. How much are you running him? don't overdo it, as his bones are growing and you don't want to put too much stress on his joints.

hope this helps some

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I can feel (and sometimes see when she is cut short) the spine on Tuesday, I know she gets pleanty to eat and as much exersize as she wants. But she is only a little over 2 years and still maturing.

I say just give him some more time to mature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts