Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Shirlee Kalstone book - just got it last week and am loving it. She talks about brushing out and spraying/misting the coat so you are not brushing a dry coat and breaking it.

What do you all use to spray in? A dilute conditioner? A detangling product?

I am trying to learn as much as I can about coat care before I get my poodle and you guys are a great help!

Marsha

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I use whatever conditioner I'm in love with at the time diluted in water.

Sometimes I just use water in a spray bottle..... I don't care to use a conditioner on my dog's 90% of the time and only use a conditioner on Jazz every third bath or so.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Right now Im just using the earths bath spray when I brush. I was told to pick up a few small spray botttles like the ones you would find at a beauty supply store. Dilute down whatever you want to use in those small spray bottles. Those small spray bottles are a good in case you drop it, step on it etc. Here's a pic of the bottle.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love lanolin oil! I know that many people think the opposite, but that works perfectly for my Frida, if the coat gets really, really dry, as it does now in winter.

But usually I don't use any leave-in-coat -products (they're forbidden in shows here in Finland, so I haven't even bothered to buy any for home-use only). I just use some very moisturising, oil-based conditioners in regular baths (not before shows, 'cause then I want the hair to be as "wire" as possible). They make the coat silky and easy to maintain, so in the best case the hair doesn't even get to the state of "really dry".
I use #1 All systems confitioner or Bio Groom's super cream conditioner and bath Frida once in a 2 or 3 weeks ---> I don't need to brush her between the baths at all. :thumb:
So for me choosing a good shampoo and contitioner is the most important thing when it comes to avoiding the hair to break. :smile:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I love lanolin oil! I know that many people think the opposite, but that works perfectly for my Frida, if the coat gets really, really dry, as it does now in winter.

But usually I don't use any leave-in-coat -products (they're forbidden in shows here in Finland, so I haven't even bothered to buy any for home-use only). I just use some very moisturising, oil-based conditioners in regular baths (not before shows, 'cause then I want the hair to be as "wire" as possible). They make the coat silky and easy to maintain, so in the best case the hair doesn't even get to the state of "really dry".
I use #1 All systems confitioner or Bio Groom's super cream conditioner and bath Frida once in a 2 or 3 weeks ---> I don't need to brush her between the baths at all. :thumb:
So for me choosing a good shampoo and contitioner is the most important thing when it comes to avoiding the hair to break. :smile:
So you just use a lanolin spray? I have some that I use on my daughters wool diaper covers, would this be fine?

·
Registered
21 Posts
^ I haven't found any lanolin spray yet, so now I just use pure lanolin oil (by #1 All Systems) and spread it to the long, dry neck hair with my own hands, section by section.

If the lanolin you use is pure (no shampoo/something else added) then go ahead and give it a try! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Poodle Lover" - Thanks for the link. That looks like a great place to order dog goodies!

"Hasta" - I LOVE your avatar photo!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts