Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am somewhat new...first post, but I have read here for a while. I had Lucy, 6 mos old, spayed on Tuesday, 5 days ago now. She seems to be doing good. She eats, drinks. She has not had a bowel movement yet, but I gave her some pumpkin today.

My concern is, she avoids walking on all fours. She stand on her hind legs holding onto something with front paws. She is confined to a small area in the living room or her crate. She is fine if I am holding her, but if I put her down she runs to a corner and stands up..she is also peeing standing up. I don't think she will have a bm until she is willing to walk on fours. Should I worry? How long until I need to worry?

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Maybe the stitches are too tight and pull on the skin when she’s on four legs. See the vet as soon as possible. They probably won’t charge you to check her since it’s a post-op visit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her incision looks great. She just wants to stand in the corner unless she is sleeping in our lap or in the crate. Wondering is its how she is dealing with stress, and anxiety post surgery. 20200815_064218.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called yesterday and they gave her pain meds. It didn't change anything. 🤔 I plan on calling again tomorrow morning.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Pain meds can cause constipation which could, in turn, cause more pain. Hope the vet will take a quick peek at her tomorrow morning. They might prescribe a stool softener.

Poor girl. Sweet that she'll still curl up and snooze in your lap. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you,
Pain meds can cause constipation which could, in turn, cause more pain. Hope the vet will take a quick peek at her tomorrow morning. They might prescribe a stool softener.

Poor girl. Sweet that she'll still curl up and snooze in your lap. :)
Thank you, I guess I should be thankful that she is being so chill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Lucy saw the vet today...he feels she is healing just fine. Speaking with him about her standing all the time he agrees it may be a stubborn behavior. I think she felt pain the first time she tried to walk, and now she refuses to walk as much as she can. She did walk to my daughter today...someone she loves that she doesn't see all the time. So its clear she can walk, she just chooses not to. Oh, and she pooped standing up on her back legs today too. Once she is healed, the 10 or so days are over I will work on her being her more doggy self. Thank you so much for everyone's advise.

·
Registered
578 Posts
This is a fascinating and kind of weird response to a spay. I’m glad your shared your experience.
When I was a small child my mom had our small poodle mixed spayed. When she got back from the vet this little dog went straight under my bed and refused to come out. She had never done this before. We gave her some time, but it looked like she was under the bed for good. My mom discussed this development with the vet over the phone, who suggested antidepressants and a doggy psychiatrist (?! Is there such a thing?) My mom, a rather practical person, said Hell no. She crawled under the bed, got the dog, leashed her and kept her by her side for a few days until she returned to her more typical self. Moral of the story is, I guess sometimes our dogs are pretty freaked out by surgery. Hopefully your girl will respond to kindness and routine by returning to her more usual habits.

Reactions: Nixtribe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much for your reply...today is day 7 and great things have happened. Although Lucy is still furniture surfing (kind of like a small child learning to walk), she did squat to pee...but is still standing to poop...thats a new one for me. The furniture surfing is interesting. She is getting where she wants. I sat in the middle of the room on the floor when i got home and she was so excited she came right to me on all fours and since then has been using her 4 legs a little more. She did eat and drink normally from her bowls without me holding them up for her. So things are slowly getting back to normal. I have my husband to thank who has been lovingly working with her everyday while I work. Thanks to you all! Now I will dig up some cute pics of her to post!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts