Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Ponki has tick fever!!!! She was fine yesterday morning (even thou she did not eat her breakfast - which is nothing new) and then by the afternoon it was like something sucked the live out of her. I take her to work with me every day, and when 5 rolls around she gets really excited cause she knows friday nights we go for a walk to the local park and she gets to play ball....Not yesterday! She didn't even get up off her bed... and when I finally got her to get up, she took 3 steps and then stopped - too 3 steps - stopped. I had to carry her to my car....
I checked her paws cause I thought maybe she had stepped in something that's hurting her pads... nothing.
When I got home she went straight to bed... she didn't even lift her head. I checked her again and she was like an oven... she was burning hot all over her body!
I found a tick on her about a week ago... and carefully... very carefully removed it with some tweezers! AND I use frontline top spot on her which usually keeps them off!
I just made an appointment with my vet!!! Please keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't have tick fever!!! My last dog had to be euthanized because she got water on her lungs - we didn't catch it soon enough :Cry:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm glad you're getting her in to see the vet today. Please keep us posted. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ponki is on fluids and staying in the hospital for over night observation cause in my mad rush to the vet's office my neighbor informed me that he had put down slug bait (little too late!!!)
We live in a townhouse so our front lawns overlap slightly! I can't believe he didn't tell me this YESTERDAY!!!!!
I'm so upset at him right now! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is "tick fever" is it like lyme disease but a different name for dogs?
Tick fever (Canine Ehrlichiosis - which infect and kill white blood cells) is kinda the same than Lyme disease, but more fatal for dogs and harder to detect (because they go through a symptom-free phase). By the time they show symptoms of the disease it's usually too late to treat them and they die from kidney failure or water on the lungs. Lyme disease is caused by the deer tick and tick fever is caused by the brown dog tick.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
oh my gosh, I'm sorry Ponki turned out to be sick enough to have to stay over night. Good for you though for not waiting to get her to the vet!! Sending hugs and prayers your way that she makes a full and quick recovery. Does the vet know about the slug bait or did he tell you that after you got home from taking her to the clinic? Do they know what the problem is?? Do they suspect the bait is most likely to be the cause of her illness?

Again I hope she is ok, I'm sure you're in for a long night... I would be worried sick. *fingers crossed* for you!! (((hugs)))

·
Registered
912 Posts
I hope everything is going well for Ponki. Different time (and day! here) so I hope you can give us a good update tomorrow. My thoughts are with you and Ponki :smile:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Wow slug bait, I am so sorry I hope everything will be ok my prayers are with you and little Ponki....what is slug bait, I have never heard of it, we use beer and that seems to work really well.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So sorry to hear Ponki is so ill!! I would be very upset with my neighbors also if they did that without saying anything to warn me. Sending you and Ponki prayers and hugs!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
First, I am so sorry to hear how sick Ponki is. My prayers are with you and I hope that all will turn out well.

About slug bait: It is a pellet that is brown in color and just the right size for animals to pick up as a treat. When it gets wet, it expands quite a bit. I used to use it in my gardens because I have many perennial gardens and problems with slugs. But since we've had dogs, I don't put it down anymore. I use bowls of beer to lure them in and then they drown.

Taffy became very ill a week ago and spiked a fever with complete listlessness. I put her in tepid water twice to take the fever down and then held her in my lap while she slept. I watched her overnight and by the next day she was coming back to her usual self. I have no idea what she got into that made her ill; I'm just happy that she recovered on her own in such a short time.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Spoospirit, another petsafe slug fix is crushed eggs shells. I didn't think it would work personaly but I was wrong. LoL. Tons of little dead sluggies eveywhere with no toxin anything :) My dogs would be trying to get into the beer if we used something like that... but maybe we can use it in the front yard lol.

I hope Ponki is doing better today... Hopeing for an update. Still sending healing thoughts your way

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm happy to report ponki is fine... and her bloodwork came back clear. She came home today and the vet said we should just keep a close eye on her for the next few days. She was on an IV overnight... and she seems to be doing all right. The vet said that she shows no signs that she ingested the slug bait, but since she's so small - just licking or picking it up in her mouth could have made her sick.
I'm SO happy she's ok... Thanks for all the prayers you guys... I really appreciate it!!!
One thing is for sure... she's going to be leash bound out the front door from now on!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Thank goodness! I am so happy she is ok! I hope your neighbor is sorry, do you think that maybe they didn't know that it could be harmful to animals? Good idea keeping her on a leash though just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so glad she is ok - your neighbor should be ashamed!
I agree... he should be... and he knows I'm not the only one in our street (which is a small dead end row) who owns a dog - there are several others which I went and warned yesterday, since I wasn't sure if he did the rounds he was suppose to do!!!
One of my neigbors who owns two dobes was shocked that he didn't warn them cause they just got a puppy (which she said he pet two days ago) without mentioning anything.
So we've determined that he's either trying to make enemies or he doesn't know that slug bait is deadly to animals!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts