Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--it's been a while since I posted....i've been a little busy with the best Christmas surprise a girl could ask for. You may remember I was looking for a red pup. Well I did not have a set time etc etc anyway, long story short: my husband was adamant about this being MY dog (fine by me) so i was doing all my research etc and planning on hopefully finding my pup sometime this year and dealing with all his badgering about having a dog (he wasn't nuts about the idea obviously). WELL guess who was surprised with a red pup :) SO i am happy to introduce Conan to the crowd. He's been a dream. He is 5 months this week and i could not be more smitten :love:

We've had some stomach issues which i'm going to post more about in the appropriate place but I just wanted to send out a Hi from us both (i'll get more pics up soon). in the mean time here is a poor quality cell phone pic that does not show his color very well but does show his sweet little self turning into a big boy after his first trip to the groomer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
How darling is Conan ? Thanks for posting and congratulations ! I do love the reds..
Where did he come from ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How darling is Conan ? Thanks for posting and congratulations ! I do love the reds..
Where did he come from ?
Thanks Sheryl! i also wanted to thank you for talking with me so extensively a couple of months ago.....little did I know what was going on behind the scenes at the time which of course I'm absolutely grateful for and know that things always work out for a reason, but anyway--I think you know what I'm trying to say! :) He hails from the Atlanta, GA area!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks Sheryl! i also wanted to thank you for talking with me so extensively a couple of months ago.....little did I know what was going on behind the scenes at the time which of course I'm absolutely grateful for and know that things always work out for a reason, but anyway--I think you know what I'm trying to say! :) He hails from the Atlanta, GA area!
You are so welcome :) Anytime you have questions feel free to ask.. I love to help.. He is lovely.
You are so lucky to have such a sweet man.. I have a great husband as well and it really does make life so much easier..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone!!! i do have/will have lots of questions, i am sure. my first one will be a long post a little later today explaining what's been going on with the tummy troubles and hope to get some advice from you experts out there. seeing as how my vet "prescribed" him to go on Iams low residue canned...my faith in her is currently a bit low. anyway--more on that later.

·
Registered
440 Posts
:welcome: XSCurls
so happy to hear your dog is from Atlanta! I lived there like forever and even brought a GA peach up to chilly Chicago to live with me ;) anyways your pup Conan (named after anyone we should recognize?) looks like a very pretty boy! how big is he?
I will look forward to it. When any of my kiddos have tummy trouble I use the brown rice and Turkey method..
ditto for sure! my mom always gives me the same advice, feed them rice :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
so happy to hear your dog is from Atlanta! I lived there like forever and even brought a GA peach up to chilly Chicago to live with me ;) anyways your pup Conan (named after anyone we should recognize?) looks like a very pretty boy! how big is he?

It really is a miracle cure !

·
Registered
151 Posts
He's an absolutely handsome little guy! I like the furry face on puppies... ours had furry faces when they were little.... welcome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

thanks! he is working on 30lbs but probably closer to 27-28 right now. just turned 5 months this week

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So this is kind of long and drawn out but basically the breeder had him on eukanuba lg breed puppy...so i continued that for the time being. we went to the beach for new years and he ended up drinking a lot of salt water and scared me to death new years eve drinking water non-stop and panting all night. so i called the vet the next morning and she just said to watch him and that he was probably just dehydrated from drinking too much salt water. about 24 hours later he starts with diarrhea. i'm at this point thinking he must have gotten into something on the beach even though i was with him and he was on a leash the whole time but who knows. i tried rice/pumpkin/yogurt etc. this continued until the following thursday when i took him in bc it just wasn't clearing up. they tested him and said he had absolutely NO good bacteria in his stomach. 2 weeks of antibiotics and antacid--back to normal. 2-3 days after finishing the round of meds, the stools are gradually looser and looser until the diarrhea has come back full blown. so this time it's a sunday night and i'm up all night with him and about 5am monday morning he vomits a huge pile of what appears to just be food (no vomiting the first time around). i get him in to the vet that monday afternoon and she says again, no good bacteria in his entire system. she says he's a bit dehydrated and would like him to spend the night in order to get him an IV and deliver the antibiotics stronger and faster. of course i'm so sad to leave him there overnight but i agree. i pick him up the next day and she has prescribed him another 2 weeks of the antibiotics at a slightly higher dose along with the antacid again and this time the iam's low residue canned food (gross). i feel really bad about having him on this crap food but i feel like changing it right now could be stressful on his system. however, i also feel like she just put him on this food bc it's what they sell at the animal hospital--that and apparently she doesn't know any better regarding food/nutrition. i mean, i don't feed myself crap, so i'm not going to feed my little boy crap. i've talked to my local pet food store about some other options (a lot of which you guys have mentioned here). i want to go grain-free bc of his tendency for ear infections but i think he's too young for such a high protein content at this point. anyway, very long story short: a. the vet can't really tell me what's going on and if it's going to be fixed this time around (this coming tuesday will be completing week 1 of round 2). b. i don't really trust her opinion as much anymore. and c. i hate feeding him this crap that she "thinks he should be on for at least a month" bc it just doesn't make sense!!! Since when is low fiber good for anyone??

Sorry for such a LONG post but any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If he has no good bacteria it seems to me the vet should have given him some probiototics, you can get them at the health food store. Yogurt is also a good source unless your pup can't take dairy. I feed a raw diet myself but a no grain diet is also a good way to go. I know on a raw diet if you increase the bone in the diet it firms up the poo. When my old man germanshepard was still around if he got tummy trouble my vet said to give him a little pepto or even imodium. Hope he is feeling better soon:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts