Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about getting a Kurgo Walking Harness. Normie has the Kurgo car harness and I use that when we walk. But it's a bit too tricky for my husband to put on him, and I was wondering if the walking harness is easier. Does anyone know how they differ?

·
Registered
367 Posts
The easiest harness to put on is a step in. I don't use them with Boston terriers because they just step out of them, but their build is very different. I think I would get a step in and try that first, you can pick one up anywhere that sells dog stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
If I'm thinking of the correct harnesses, the main difference is the buckle. The walking harness uses the same kind of plastic pinch buckle commonly used on backpacks, belts,, mitten clasps, etc. The car harness uses a metal clasp with a metal tab that needs to be threaded through. Very sturdy. I tested it on Galen when he was younger, and there was no way I was going to manage that buckle on a wiggly puppy. Consequently I didn't buy him a car harness.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm probably better off with the car harness; my fingers don't pinch too well on cold days.

We have a soft harness for my husband's emergency use, but I don't think that it's as secure a fit as the Kurgo. And of course, there's Normie's collar.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I use the Kurgo car harness for in the car and leave it on if we're going to be in and out of the car, traveling, errands, that sort of thing. I only undo one side, when I do eventually take it off so putting it back on is one step easier.

If we're just walking from home I have this Vel-Pro Mesh harness which I sometimes use. Super easy step in with about an inch or so adjustment possible.

XSmall fits 11" - 12"
Small fits 13" - 14"
Medium fits 15" - 16"
Large fits 17" - 18"
XLarge fits 19" - 20"

I've tried this style of step in but Remo was able to back out of it. That hasn't happened with the VelPro

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, Rose. This is where COVID restrictions make purchasing difficult. I'd love to try one on him.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dianaleez, just for clarity's sake, you're talking about the Kurgo Tru-Fit harness, Enhanced Strength vs regular, right? I have the Enhanced Strength for car trips (metal buckles, what you have right now). I'm very impressed by the solid construction of it, but like Rose it's really only for out-and-about with the car as our transportation. (Thanks for the one-buckle undo tip, Rose n Poos! I'll have to try that.) We're not to the point of actual walks, since Pooka is only 12 weeks old, but I definitely plan to use a different, lighter, easier to buckle harness when we do start walks but are still working on loose leash. I do love that the Kurgo has a front leash attachment, so I'm at least not teaching pulling for now either.

On Kurgo's website, the construction of the Tru-Fit walking harness looks to be the same as the enhanced strength, just with plastic buckles and adjusters instead of metal.

I tested it on Galen when he was younger, and there was no way I was going to manage that buckle on a wiggly puppy. Consequently I didn't buy him a car harness.
This makes me feel better about my fumbling fingers and mistakes when putting it on Pooka! When one of the cats gets involved too, it seems to take forever to get it right.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I'd love to try one on him.
I'll get some current weight and chest measurements on my two and some demonstration photos up later today.
The company in Louisiana that I buy these from also sells a leather version with an expanded size range. The name is Morrco.

Thanks for the one-buckle undo tip
I think that came from one of the reviews I'd read. It's surprising how not intuitive the Kurgo is to put on. It's no different in layout from others but the climbing inspired buckle system just seems to be a flummoxer.
Leaving one side or the other still connected makes for an easier slip on/off the head and the one leg. From there it's more like a 50/50 chance of getting it right on the first try.
I'm developing fine motor skills issues and doing this type of buckle vs the pinch clasp is actually easier for me.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Ok, today, Neo is 14lbs and an ooch, 17.5" +/- behind the arms. Remo is 12.75lbs and 16.5" behind the arms. I tried PTP's method of measuring against a wall and no success with that. They're convinced that more evil is afoot since we just finished baths and a trim, immediately sit and go small. Best estimate is 14" max for Neo and 13" max for Remo.

In the Kurgo they both wear the small. In the VelPro, the XL fits Neo best, allowing his front legs to move without rubbing, fits with room for fingers under the harness, and still can adjust a bit. The Large fits Remo, a bit more relaxed than the fit on Neo, but the Medium is definitely too small for Remo. He grew out of his original one.

Neo wears the largest of the mesh version, but has a comfort room. Remo is too big for the medium but the large is a bit loose, although it stays on with no problem.

I'm going to look at the leather style for the holidays.

The photo is not from today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts