Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your poodle stick close when you're sick?

I've suffered from debilitating migraines since I was about 7 years old, and they got much worse after I was hit by a bus at 30. Luckily, my mini mix Gracie stepped up and, for the next 10 years of her life, spent days on end in the dark with me with no complaint.

Then came Peggy.

While Gracie was roughly the size and consistency of a hot water bottle, Peggy is 45 pounds of knobby knees and puppy energy. I never expected her to take over Gracie's role, thinking that hers would be more about entertaining and adventuring with my husband when I couldn't.

But here we are, together in the dark. And Peggy's settled right in as though she always knew this would be part of her job. A quiet, not entirely rational part of me feels she might have received her training manual from a small celestial supervisor.

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
My Asta watches after me and will always cuddle with me. My favorite time is when I am reading a book and he is right at my side - that and when he cuddles and sleeps with me. He is very reassuring.

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Asta watches after me and will always cuddle with me. My favorite time is when I am reading a book and he is right at my side - that and when he cuddles and sleeps with me. He is very reassuring.
Good boy, Asta. 💛 It's amazing how calming that steady pressure from a poodle can be. This is something service dogs can be taught on command, right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bella is my shadow and Paris is slowly learning to be too. I suffer from some serious insomnia. Some days I need to sleep all day just to recharge, doesn’t help that I wake up in between naps to make sure they are fed. But Bella is willing to cuddle with me all day and just sleep. No complaining, no bad behaviours just pure comfort and sleep. Most days the three of us enjoy naps in bed together, there’s just something special about poodle cuddles.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Poodles make the best healing poultices.

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bella is my shadow and Paris is slowly learning to be too. I suffer from some serious insomnia. Some days I need to sleep all day just to recharge, doesn’t help that I wake up in between naps to make sure they are fed. But Bella is willing to cuddle with me all day and just sleep. No complaining, no bad behaviours just pure comfort and sleep. Most days the three of us enjoy naps in bed together, there’s just something special about poodle cuddles.
That is so sweet. Such good girls. I bet they're good company at night, too.

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
Asta learned the "Stay close" command for leaning in and applying pressure. He was already leaning on me so I shaped his behavior. I say shaped his behavior as he already innately had part of the command. Just needed to add a command to the behavior and shape him to add the pressure by pressing him into me with chicken and other treats as a reward. After some time he got it.
This is different from cuddles when I hold him and give him kisses (and he kisses back)

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is so sweet. Such good girls. I bet they're good company at night, too.
Oh yeah 😂. My husband and I need a bigger bed now. Paris thinks she should be allowed to go to sleep in our bed so she scratches at the side to get picked up and Bella just jumps up at will.
Sometimes I wake up under a small pile of poodles. A very nice feeling.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Diva is a big comfort to my younger son he gets anxious and emotional easily and often diva will just sit next to him waiting for a stroke and stroking her relaxing him. Then there are times he’s hyper, having a run around, living it up and diva will also support him with that :LOL: They are a perfect pair!

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diva is a big comfort to my younger son he gets anxious and emotional easily and often diva will just sit next to him waiting for a stroke and stroking her relaxing him. Then there are times he’s hyper, having a run around, living it up and diva will also support him with that :LOL: They are a perfect pair!
Good Diva. 💛 I think they can definitely distinguish between positive and negative energy, even when (to humans) it might appear the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Years ago, I had two cats that absolutely hated each other. I got a very bad case of the flu and apparently they declared a feline truce as they spent hours curled up next to me, one on one side and one of the other. As soon as I was mobile, they were back to hissing and spitting and barely being able to be in the same room. Animals are wonderful.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My spoo is a natural therapy dog. I registered for an official test/certification in December but the closest evaluator is a snowbird and was leaving for Arizona. I wonder if she’s been able to return.

He comes to me when he senses my stress level rising, putting his head in my lap. I’m looking forward to ‘working’ with him one day to support others in need. People can’t resist the fluffy poodle head.

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
Misha is also my shadow. His presence is very reassuring...
That's a really nice photo of him, I hope you use in one of our future photo contests.

Bella has a knack for positioning herself against whatever part of my body needs comfort, usually my back or neck when we go to sleep. It's like she's a living muscle relaxer and headache remover. When she needs comfort she'll come under my blanket and curl up into a little ball against my stomach or chest. It's very much a symbiotic, emotional support relationship.

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Years ago, I had two cats that absolutely hated each other. I got a very bad case of the flu and apparently they declared a feline truce as they spent hours curled up next to me, one on one side and one of the other. As soon as I was mobile, they were back to hissing and spitting and barely being able to be in the same room. Animals are wonderful.
This is the sweetest story. What a cozy picture your words paint.

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My spoo is a natural therapy dog. I registered for an official test/certification in December but the closest evaluator is a snowbird and was leaving for Arizona. I wonder if she’s been able to return.

He comes to me when he senses my stress level rising, putting his head in my lap. I’m looking forward to ‘working’ with him one day to support others in need. People can’t resist the fluffy poodle head.
He's going to bring such joy to people.

·
Super Moderator
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a really nice photo of him, I hope you use in one of our future photo contests.

Bella has a knack for positioning herself against whatever part of my body needs comfort, usually my back or neck when we go to sleep. It's like she's a living muscle relaxer and headache remover. When she needs comfort she'll come under my blanket and curl up into a little ball against my stomach or chest. It's very much a symbiotic, emotional support relationship.
They are the best heating pads!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts