Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am SO beyond needing a new brush for Lacey. I’ve been using the tiny lil pals slicker brush. I bought the hertzko self cleaning slicker last year. It had thousands of good reviews on amazon but the pins are extremely sharp. I brushed it gently on my arm and the pins cut the top layer of skin with one stroke. Two and I would’ve bled. It really hurt!

I have a generic 7.5” steel greyhound style comb. It’s ok. I feel it’s almost slightly too long to maneuver. but people seem to love 9” combs, even for toy poodles.

I combed (pun intended) through years worth of threads. Based on my research I’ve decided to try the miller’s forge doggyman slicker. I’m not ready to spend big bucks on a slicker brush yet. May not need to.

Lacey’s hair is coarse, fairly dense, and pretty curly everywhere except her ears and tail. Those are wavy and may not change. I’d like to grow her bracelets out longer and her topknot about 5” long (maybe longer if I decide the increased brush/comb needs are worth it and my wrist is ok) It’s a little over 2” right now.

Should I get a pin brush to use on her topknot and neck? Or would a slicker be ok? I saw lily cd re mention in many threads the #1 all systems oblong 27mm pin brush and others liked it too so I’d probably go with that if anything.

I want a nicer comb that glides through the hair a better. It’s the most important tool in poodle grooming so I’m willing to spend a decent amount.

I still am not sure about a 9” length comb for my small mini, but I like the spacing of the teeth and can’t find one in a 7.5” comb. Are they heavy? I have mild carpal tunnel in my combing wrist. Good thing I have a poodle, right?

Some combs I was looking at below. Maybe I should consider others. Is there one you reach for every time?

9” long coarse poodle combs, 5 teeth per inch:
-well loved, cc 004 poodle Comb $52
-#1 all systems ultimate poodle comb $27
-Aaronco 806 honeycomb $36

6” wide comb, extra coarse teeth, I think around 4 per inch. The pins are longer than the others above.
-#1 all systems dematting comb $39
-Omnipet poodle comb with wooden handle $9 (an inexpensive wild card)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I use three different slickers on Misha. He is super sensitive and I need a gentle brush to do his legs. So faw the most gentle brush I've found with reasonably long tines is the paw Brothers tipped slicker. I use the curved one. It is super soft. Petco also carries one that I really liked when I saw it in the store. It is a Well & Good wooden cushion tipped slicker. But it is slightly larger. Of course to most poodle groomers these tipped brushes are crap. They are cheap and do wear out. But my sensitive drama king tolerates them better. I also like the safari tipped slickers.

I do use a show tech medium length bristle slicker and the CC coral slicker. These I only use with areas of longer fur. The CC is excellent for tail and top knot.

I use a CC buttercomb, the 000 size. It is 7.5" and I use it all the time. It is nice and I thought the length would bother me but it's okay. It is course/fine so I only use half of the comb at a time. Good for small dog. It is like $33 or something. Glides well.

I have that oblong pin brush but I rarely reach for it. I like my slickers more.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for letting me know your favorites!
Originally I was going to buy another tipped slicker brush, but bigger. Then I kept reading that they broke the hair more and it scared me off.
It’s what I’ve been using on Lacey this whole time. I wonder how much a difference it actually makes.

I see the cc coral brush mentioned a lot! It’s something I may get in the future. Especially if I decide I am up for the job of keeping Lacey in a long topknot. I’m going to try different inexpensive slickers for while. If the millers forge isn’t soft enough I’ll look into the paw brothers one you mentioned.

I was looking at the cc 000 comb, but I thought that was a 7.5” comb, not a 9”? Do you use the side with the fine side ever?

Despite all the different combs i’ve looked at, I know I’m going to end up with a cc butter comb. 😬 Just can’t make up my mind which one.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Thank you for letting me know your favorites!
Originally I was going to buy another tipped slicker brush, but bigger. Then I kept reading that they broke the hair more and it scared me off.
It’s what I’ve been using on Lacey this whole time. I wonder how much a difference it actually makes.

I see the cc coral brush mentioned a lot! It’s something I may get in the future. Especially if I decide I am up for the job of keeping Lacey in a long topknot. I’m going to try different inexpensive slickers for while. If the millers forge isn’t soft enough I’ll look into the paw brothers one you mentioned.

I was looking at the cc 000 comb, but I thought that was a 7.5” comb, not a 9”? Do you use the side with the fine side ever?

Despite all the different combs i’ve looked at, I know I’m going to end up with a cc butter comb. 😬 Just can’t make up my mind which one.
Haha you are right. It is 7.5"! Sorry I will correct it above. I do use both sides for sure but I am quite happy with it. I would probably be fine with a 9" split comb as well.

The tines of slickers can be dulled with sandpaper if you are careful to do each tine at the proper angle so as to not just make it sharper.

I do not see much difference in coat breakage between brush styles. But I keep my brushes in top condition and brush carefully. I agree CC coral is only a big help for the very long hair.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I’ve decided which comb to get.

It’s the cc 005 comb. 7.5” long. One side has the same spacing as the big 9” poodle comb on one side like I wanted. The tines are longer than the other combs, hopefully that’s a good thing.

Good tip on the sandpaper, although hopefully I won’t have to take any to the $50 comb! 😱

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I think I’ve decided which comb to get.

It’s the cc 005 comb. 7.5” long. One side has the same spacing as the big 9” poodle comb on one side like I wanted. The tines are longer than the other combs, hopefully that’s a good thing.

Good tip on the sandpaper, although hopefully I won’t have to take any to the $50 comb! 😱
Haha no not for combs. They are already soft. I think long tines are good. Just more expensive lol. I'm sure you will like it!

·
Registered
823 Posts
If you want a cheap option for long top knots- I am in love with my Amazon Paw Brothers wooden handled poodle comb with extra long teeth. Dont use it much now that Annie has a short topknot, but when her topknot was long it cut my combing time more than half, and allowed me to actually reach the skin.

On my "one day" list is a long pin CC pin brush. I tried one once and fell in love, so much nicer than my Andis one... but have been too cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts