Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused about the comb attachments numbers.
My understanding is the higher the number the shorter the cut.

I am using 5 in 1 Wahls - arco (trimmer) & bravura (clipper).
The plastic comb attachments seem to show longer lengths with higher numbers in that they have longer combs.
Shouldn't it be the reverse?
The plastic comb attachments came in sizes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8.
The attachment guide shows 1, 2, 3, 4, A, C, E & O - I don't have the letters
The #2 plastic seems to match with the #4 metal I bought.

We keep her short so even if I mess up a few months with a real groomer will be ok but I wanted to experiment with the comb lengths. I started with the #4 which went ok. I think she gets groomed with a #6 though.

Also, why is it recommended to set the clipper at 30 when using comb attachments?

Thanks for an explanation.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
I think blades cut shorter the higher the number, but combs are the other way around - mine are labelled with the length, and the length of the teeth is a good guide.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I just go by length of the comb. Mine have the inches listed on them. I think setting the clipper at 30 is advised because hair is less likely to get tangled between the blade and the comb than if it's set at 40. But I typically set it at 40 and have no issues. I know there were past models that could break if set to a 40 with comb attachments. But the Bravura is fine to do it I think.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And just when I finally got straight in my mind that the higher the number the shorter the clip.... :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify my understanding, for blades, the higher the number the shorter the clip yet for comb attachments the higher the number the longer the clip.
And what is with the letters?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The Wahl attachment combs for their 5 in 1 blades are marked, not only with the number, but also with the length of hair it leaves. So, on the plastic part of each comb the length is marked. Also, it comes with a color coded chart which shows the color, number and length of cut for each blade. Really quite simple. Most often I do Poppy's body with a purple comb, which leaves 1/4" of hair. In winter I use the tan comb which leaves 1/2" of hair. Set the blade on 30 when using the combs, then attach the desired comb. Here is a picture of the chart that comes with the stainless comb set.
IMG_3293.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts