Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some answers lol, there is another dog forum I go on but not breed specific. There are a few poodle owners on there who obviously enjoy talking poodles.
There was a thread not too long ago about someone sourcing a puppy, they were looking for a cream or white (I can't remember). One of the poodle owners on there said creams (or whites) was a good choice, along with blacks as the other colours (chocs mentioned) were a bit 'silly'.

So, I was wondering if those of you who have experience of different colours agree with this? Is there any difference between colours with regards to trainability, temperament etc... What about the phantoms and partis?

I know with labradors, in the UK certainly, you don't see many if any chocolate labs working as guide dogs or as gundogs. This (apparantly) is due to them not being as easy to train as goldens and blacks.

So poodle peeps what do you think? (I hope it's all a load of tosh as I really want a brown mini one day...)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I am looking for some answers lol, there is another dog forum I go on but not breed specific. There are a few poodle owners on there who obviously enjoy talking poodles.
There was a thread not too long ago about someone sourcing a puppy, they were looking for a cream or white (I can't remember). One of the poodle owners on there said creams (or whites) was a good choice, along with blacks as the other colours (chocs mentioned) were a bit 'silly'.

So, I was wondering if those of you who have experience of different colours agree with this? Is there any difference between colours with regards to trainability, temperament etc... What about the phantoms and partis?

I know with labradors, in the UK certainly, you don't see many if any chocolate labs working as guide dogs or as gundogs. This (apparantly) is due to them not being as easy to train as goldens and blacks.

So poodle peeps what do you think? (I hope it's all a load of tosh as I really want a brown mini one day...)
Color has nothing to do with a dogs temperament. This is "old school" Thinking. Back in the day they said white gsd had bad temperaments and where aggressive....It all depends on how the dog is bred. People have color prejudices within every bred. Most said cream or white and black because these dogs win in the ring which makes them the most popular.

I have a red standard poodle which is a Rare color and there is nothing wrong with his temperament. It is said that reds are hyper... After seeing other poodles in the ring he acts just like the black ones. Its all BS really when people tell you one color is better than another.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I'm with Roxy. Between my sister and I we have a blue, a silver, a "chocolate", and two apricots. We have not had the experience of any of them being "silly". I really believe it is a matter of the temperament in each individual dog regardless of their color. And it even may be a matter of the owner's training. There are certainly poodles out there which could be considered silly but I'm sure it has nothing to do with their color.

Roxy is also correct in saying that it is the blacks, whites, and creams that win the most in the ring her in the US. We can't show mismarks, phantoms, or parties. Although I have a beautiful baby apricot and know about what wins most, I will still show her to see how she does. The rule is that the dog must be a solid color.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good good good.
On yet another forum I know of it is run by a man who has a lot to do with working trials, he is only a youngish man but has been training gun dogs for a long time with a lot of success. It was on this forum which I read about chocolate labs not performing very well in working trials. I live very close to guide dog training centre and have yet to see a choc lab training. But, there are more yellow and black labs so maybe it's to do with numbers? I don't know, I am just glad people who actually know poodles well dismiss this idea.

It may have been a breeder of poodles who mentioned it...(off to check)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
With Labs, I truly believe it has a lot to do with numbers and popularity. I think the black and yellow colors are just more apealing to those that work their dogs. Chocolates went though a pretty big soar in popularity as pets, so I'm sure many lines have been diminished by BYBs and millers. I think it also varies by area. In my area, the yellow Labs have been very overbred and many of them just aren't as sweet, smart or trustworthy as some of the blacks and chocolates.

The Poodle Club of America says any solid color is acceptable in the ring, so I guess their "silly" too, LOL! I do think when you are dealing with a less common color, you unfortunately run into a lot of people trying to exploit that for $.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I heard the same thing about colors when I was looking. Each dog has his/her very own personality. I own a phantom, and a red. They are opposites. I've seen some reds overly smart, though mine is more on the silly side. My phantom is very smart and is not of champion bloodlines; my red has CH bloodlines. I think each color can vary - carefully interview the pup/dog you are thinking of. One thing I know for sure: the value of going CH bloodlines - their show-like movement will be candy to your eyes.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
With Labs, I truly believe it has a lot to do with numbers and popularity. I think the black and yellow colors are just more apealing to those that work their dogs. Chocolates went though a pretty big soar in popularity as pets, so I'm sure many lines have been diminished by BYBs and millers. I think it also varies by area. In my area, the yellow Labs have been very overbred and many of them just aren't as sweet, smart or trustworthy as some of the blacks and chocolates.

The Poodle Club of America says any solid color is acceptable in the ring, so I guess their "silly" too, LOL! I do think when you are dealing with a less common color, you unfortunately run into a lot of people trying to exploit that for $.
Yes I agree Red poodles are being bred for $$$ and temperament is not being consider hence why some say reds are silly or hyper. I seen it in labs also Chocolates are being over bred for the color and the temperaments are not being consider. It all has to do with the bloodline and breeding.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Although I have a beautiful baby apricot and know about what wins most, I will still show her to see how she does. The rule is that the dog must be a solid color.
You should do fine with Taffy Apricots win way more than reds and browns !
Taffys feet are exquisite ! I can't wait to see how she grows.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Thank you for the encouragement. I was a little concerned about showing her because of her color. I had actually been looking for a white but when I saw her, she was it. I will keep everyone up to date on how she progress. And, hopefully, how she does in the show ring in the future.

However she makes it, she is the love of my heart and a mamma's girl for sure!! She is going to be very special just like Carly was.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't think colour has much to do with it really. I do think that people are exploiting different colours. I even see now where labradoodles if red or brown are charge more for.

I dont get the point of charging more for different colours the dogs do the same work to get the puppies don't they?

I have a brown and a cream/ apricot ears. My brown is way more laid back easy going my cream is more reactive. One is male one is female and that is what I think makes the difference in temperments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mandycasey'smom do you mind me asking which is which? Is your male more laid back or vice versa?

My favourite colours to 'look at' are browns, apricots, phantoms and partis. I would definitely be having a female though.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Mandycasey'smom do you mind me asking which is which? Is your male more laid back or vice versa?

My favourite colours to 'look at' are browns, apricots, phantoms and partis. I would definitely be having a female though.
Guess what Maggie ! I just woke up and had a dream about your thread lol.
In my dream I was at someones house( could have been a friends house) that had Lab puppies chocolate and black puppies. Some ignorant lady with her kids kept saying all dogs are stupid. So I was training the pups showing her they where not stupid dogs and easy to train. lol

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

Apricots are more famous in the UK than in USA. I was reading a story about a parti poodle in the UK who was being shown and was being placed. The UK standard does not disqualify partis like our country. It was a cool inspiring story.

It is said that male dogs are more playful than a female. I am not sure if this was a study or another he says she says debate. I have only owned female dogs and Enzo is our first male. I notice he is very playful but I think its just because he is a poodle lol. Poodles have this surprising energy and charm. I think this is why I love Enzo and poodles now so much. Enzo was gone since Saturday and I missed him. He came back home yesterday and I was so happy.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That is interesting, Roxy. My first poodle was Billy. He is a very lazy boy. When he is in the house, he just lets his feet slide down the floor until he hits bottom and then goes to sleep. :rofl: Loves to be loved but doesn't get excited about anything except to go horseback riding. He will play with me outside occasionally but usually he is busy just running around and checking out the property. He is definitely not one of your very playful, exuberant male poodles. On the other hand, our new little Taffy, female of course, is full of p*** and vinegar!! She wants to play all of the time if she is not sleeping. She loves to play with everything and nothing. She can stand under Billy but she will play tuggy with him and sometimes walks away with the tuggy. She is not intimidated by anything. It's great fun to watch the difference between the two of them and how they interact.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy is the hyper female who runs under through around over everything and nothing.

Casey plays for a bit gets a stick and settles. Mandy Barks at the wind Casey looks at her like ya stupid make more noice.

I love her to death but she is just different then him. He is a lover.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Color has nothing to do with temperament, it never will.

Cockers went though the same thing but in a more negative manner. They had what was called "red rage syndrome". Reds became very popular and were over bred. They had very poor temperaments and were so badly bred they had a mental defect resulting in dogs who would lash out and attack their owners and other things to the point that they had to be put down. So that took the Cocker way down in popularity in the 60's.

As for Labs Chocolate is a fairly new color to the breed and is in more pet lines then show or working lines.

As for the male/female debate I have always owned female dogs, out of the 10 dogs we currently have only one is male. I don't know if its because I have grown up with only female dogs or what but I tend to end up with them.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
As for the male/female debate I have always owned female dogs, out of the 10 dogs we currently have only one is male. I don't know if its because I have grown up with only female dogs or what but I tend to end up with them.

Yes this sounds just like me we always end up with females for some reason lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Somebody once told me that if you wanted a pet get a boy and if you wanted a real hunting dog get a girl. The logic behind the statement was that because "in the wild" females are in charge of finding food and feeding and caring for the young, they will also do so at home if left alone. Soooo the female was more agressive in personality (agressive here means not giving up, doesn't refer to being mean) and thus made better hunters/worker.
Personaly I think thats a load a bull... But it was a load that came to mind reading your post PP and Roxy.

I like boy dogs best, I don't know why, I won't say they are more affectionate or easier to train b/c I don't believe that. I do have an easier time with them. John isn't fond of Howie though :( so no more males in my future, he says only girls from now on. Oh well.

On the subject of color/temperment not that anything needs to be added but I agree, it makes no difference. Breeding makes the difference not the genes for color themselves. Because it's the breeding of the dogs and then how they are raised I thinnk it makes sense that any conclusions based on this or that color usually behaves this way could be regional. Here black is the hands down most popular color for standards and I'm noticing that a lot of those dogs are nuts in the hyper, happy, can't control themselves way. We have a very lovely breeder who cranks out several litters a year here and a huge portion of the dogs I see come from her, she breeds mostly black because thats what sells. poor dogs.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I can't think of her name off hand... I ran across her add on a puppies for sale type of site. I called her up and spoke to her once but not a second time. She's in Crestview if that helps any, doesn't show, just breeds - pretty requently in fact..... dang... Now thats going to drive me crazy. I know I know her name.... but I just can't think of it at the moment.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts