Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a Spoo I am quite interested in, but am looking at the colour testing and am not sure what the DD's mean. She is BBeeDD. I understand the BB's and the ee's and think the DD's are dilute genes, but does the DD mean it is non dilute. Thanking you for any help.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
From my understanding DD means the dog is a non-dilute. A Dd is a carrier of the dilute gene and a DD is non-dilute a dd is dilute.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think the DD is all smoke and mirrors. Vetgen (the only folks I trust) have said that they don't have a reliable test for a non-fading gene in Poodles.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
DD is the dilute factor and the jury is stillout on that part of the test in poodles anyway !

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much. I was most worried it might mean brown somewhere back there, I don't hold any value in the non dilute stuff either having a woman at Vetgen tell me there is no test for the graying gene, which can also dilute them even if they have the non dilute and we could indeed rely on it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I spoke with Vetgen as well and they have yet to even isolate the red. So the BBeeDD can also produce from Cream to red in the spectrum Better look at a pedigree color chart as well.. If you dont know the lines that is ..

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Sheryl. We have checked out the colour pedigree and PHR, but that DD just had me puzzled. Glad that mystery is solved and not a worry of brown!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yeah I agree with cbrand the DD is not the graying gene or fading gene.

A blue nose pit bull would have dd and pit bulls don't fade lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The lady that I spoke with at vetgen said that poodles are so complex, that it will be a while before they can really isolate the red gene if ever..
Love the color site That is the chart that is on the vetgen site as well..

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, it sure can get complicated, especially if you are looking at bringing in other colours. The colour chart is an awesome tool! Very helpful!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I agree too. If there is an extra charge to find out of a dog is dilute or non dilute, I won`t bother. There are too many other factors that can muddy the waters, so finding this out is not helpful at all.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

No they don't fade, but you have to know genetics to understand that dd doesn't not necessarily mean they fade over time. They might be born diluted already (which is the case in pit bulls/ weimereiners/ greyhounds/ dobermans). Remember genes don't function as a separate entity, but it reacts and works against or with other genes.

Does any of the blue nosed pit bulls have black on them?

I bet they never do, cause they carry the dd gene which means all black pigment in their coat is diluted to blue.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The most intersting part of the whole thing is the fact that this lab DDC will take your money for the DD test and give you a result even though it does not mean crap .. I will be using Vet gen from now on :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No they don't fade, but you have to know genetics to understand that dd doesn't not necessarily mean they fade over time. They might be born diluted already (which is the case in pit bulls/ weimereiners/ greyhounds/ dobermans). Remember genes don't function as a separate entity, but it reacts and works against or with other genes.

I bet they never do, cause they carry the dd gene which means all black pigment in their coat is diluted to blue.
Interesting I would like the answer as well...

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The most intersting part of the whole thing is the fact that this lab DDC will take your money for the DD test and give you a result even though it does not mean crap .. I will be using Vet gen from now on :)
Yes, it certainly seems to be a money grab!! I guess basically what they are saying is true though. For that paticular test, the dog is showing non dilute. But with other factors involved, that means nothing because they may have the non dilute gene, but could carry the graying gene, for which there is no test.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

That is exactly what I was saying. And no blue nose apbts do not have black on them,it would be impossible. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts