Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined today and I’m learning how to navigate this website...
I have an 8 week old toy poodle and I’m wondering what color he is. The breeder told me he is apricot. I’ve read about how they clear with age and that his coat will change over time. He has a liver nose, eye rims and mouth. He had small white spots on his back paws and a large one on his chest. He also has green eyes.
What do y’all think?

·
Registered
487 Posts
What color hair is growing under the fuzz? The breeder should have shaved faces and toes so they could be used to it by the time you get him. Once a pups face is shaved you can usually tell if they are creams or apricot. Creams will grow back in white hair. What color is the new hair growing inside his ears? If it’s white then he is cream abstract if it’s gold/yellow then he is a light abstract apricot . He has brown pigment . Browns can have very light brown /gold almost hazel eyes so it’s possible they will change to that . Or they can still darken to dark brown.

Cute fluffy baby❤. Enjoy the size they grow so quick!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not brown but if he has the brown gene (which he does because of incorrect pigment) he can get the lighter brown/hazel eyes? Not sure..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The hair closest to his skin is only maybe a shade lighter than the tips. The hair on the inside of his ears is cream. His eyes are green right now and I hope that doesn’t change. I like the color of his nose too. I had his brother. He was from a different litter but was the same color as a pup and lightened up to a cream color with dark eyes and a black nose.
Thank you for your responses. I think he’s the cutest puppy!!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
He's definitely not brown. I think he is an apricot with dilute (incorrect) pigment.
While poodles come in a variety of colors, they are all based on genetic black or brown. Other colors are the result of a variety of genes acting on Black/Brown. It's easy to tell a poodles base color by looking at the pigment of the nose, lips, and eye rims. Browns have liver pigment; blacks have black pigment. So this apricot puppy appears to be brown as the base color.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
He is cute as can be! I tend to think he’s an apricot abstract. Keep updating us with adorably pictures!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
So nice to see this cute puppy. Do start grooming with his face, feet and sanitary area and you will find some apricot I am thinking. Anyway start grooming right away. I didn't groom Asta near as much as I should have as a puppy and now he is a terror with grooming, although he seems to be better with that now.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
While poodles come in a variety of colors, they are all based on genetic black or brown. Other colors are the result of a variety of genes acting on Black/Brown. It's easy to tell a poodles base color by looking at the pigment of the nose, lips, and eye rims. Browns have liver pigment; blacks have black pigment. So this apricot puppy appears to be brown as the base color.
Oh, I get it. Thank you for the explanation.

His eyes will turn amber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a sweet baby girl that is similarly colored to yours. Has the color changed at all for you? My Luci also has green eyes. She does have the brown apricot growing in her ears and her tail and genital area are also darker in color. Paws are white, chest and chin are white. Anyone have any idea what her final adult coloring might look like? I just love her unique coloring as it is — hope she gets to keep it. She’s just over 8 weeks old. Mom and dad were both white, so I have no idea. She’s also got the liver nose, mouth and eye rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
He is very cute, whatever color he turns out to be!
You say you had his brother- do you find other similarities between them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He is very cute, whatever color he turns out to be!
You say you had his brother- do you find other similarities between them?
Quite the opposite actually! Their coats at this age are the only similarity. They were the exact color. Henry (previous pup) had very dark eyes, nose and lips. He cleared to a very light cream color. Henry was extremely intelligent, energetic, had a very “sassy” attitude and was very agile. Archie (my new baby) is very sweet and laid back, not athletic at all. He’s very shy and is easily scared and he doesn’t catch on to things as quickly as Henry did. In spite of their differences, I LOVE Archie and feel very fortunate to have Henry’s brother!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a sweet baby girl that is similarly colored to yours. Has the color changed at all for you? My Luci also has green eyes. She does have the brown apricot growing in her ears and her tail and genital area are also darker in color. Paws are white, chest and chin are white. Anyone have any idea what her final adult coloring might look like? I just love her unique coloring as it is — hope she gets to keep it. She’s just over 8 weeks old. Mom and dad were both white, so I have no idea. She’s also got the liver nose, mouth and eye rims.
Oh she’s beautiful! I’m interested to see what Archie’s adult color will be as well. I had his brother and he was this same brown color as a pup just no white spots. And cleared to a very light cream color. He did have very dark eyes, lips and nose though. So, I wonder if that’ll play into how similar their adult coats will be. Archie’s eyes are still green. He’s about 12 weeks now. I know they’ll probably change but I love how unique all his colors are right now!
No, I haven’t started trimming his face yet. Just a little around his eyes and his private areas. I’ll start grooming the rest of him soon though.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
How interesting! Will be fun to watch him grow here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts