Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fly was sold to us as a Black but after doing more "color" research, and knew what to look for, I looked her over again and found some silver hairs growing in between the pads of her feet, a very small spot on her chest and a little around the muzzle. Do you think she will turn blue or silver? Or just a "bad black"? She does have a brown tint to her coat when in direct sunlight. I love her regardless of her color, just curious. :)

I should also add that her sister had much more silver in her and the breeder told us she would be a blue, Fly is much darker and perhaps she will turn as she develops? She is 13 weeks old.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
She looks black to me. Harry has a foot that has a whole bunch of white/silver hairs and he does have a tint to his hair sometimes but he's black. There are some blacks that are just darker than others I think. If she was going to be blue, her face would be a dark gray color. If she was going to be silver it would be very light gray already.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to agree. She is dark and the hairs are very sparse and few. We took her on the Congaree river walk today in West Columbia, SC. She loved it. She's doing great on the leash and I'm trying to socialize and desensitize her to everything I can!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Where did you get Fly from?
she is very cute, but I think its one of those things that time will decide, she may turn out to be a late clearing blue, or black.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got fly from a breeder here in SC. I don't have all the details, as my mom is the one who found her and the location. We all went and looked at the litter and they were all healthy and happy puppies. No matter what color she turns out, it was really a matter of curiosity. =]

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
To be honest, I have yet to be convinced that "blue" is really a colour in poodles. They all just look like bad blacks to me.
A blue poodle will have a blue nose a bad black will have a black nose and will be faded.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The more I read and research the more I am starting to believe that. Although I have seen some very beautiful shades of "blue".

I have no plans on showing/breeding the pup. So it's all fun and games as far as color goes (for me anyways).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh! I understand and can see the difference, I was just semi agreeing. I think some of them can be labeled as blue when in fact they are bad black. JMO. I'm still new to this, so my opinion may change here and there. I'm still learning!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Blue is different than bad black. Here are 2 littermates, both at 4 years.
(Trevor and Winnie- my Kitty's pups)
Carole

Thanks Dogsinstyle. That is the first example I have seen that clearly distinguishes between blue and bad black. I've seen blues in other breeds, but in poodles, all the examples I've seen have just looked like bad blacks.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My cousin owns a beautiful blue pitbull. I do recognize the difference, only it was a little fuzzy to me regarding poodles. Thanks for the pic! I'm enjoying my Spoo so much! I'm glad our family chose this breed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts