Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard silver, blue and apricot in a line of browns means they could (or do?) carry the fading gene. What if there is a white in the browns line? Does that have anything to do with the fading gene as well??

There is a litter that was just born that I am considering along with one other breeder I like... the litter is brown and after looking 5 generations back all I could see was black and brown and 1-3 whites between both sire's and dam's side.

Just curious! I actually like the look of faded browns so I wouldn't mind either way if we choose to go with this litter :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I heard silver, blue and apricot in a line of browns means they could (or do?) carry the fading gene. What if there is a white in the browns line? Does that have anything to do with the fading gene as well??

There is a litter that was just born that I am considering along with one other breeder I like... the litter is brown and after looking 5 generations back all I could see was black and brown and 1-3 whites between both sire's and dam's side.

Just curious! I actually like the look of faded browns so I wouldn't mind either way if we choose to go with this litter :)
I would not like to see silver, blue or apricot close up in a Brown pedigree (I have it behind my Delilah and it does nothing good for my color I'm sure.)

Can I see the pedigree? While all black or all brown is ideal, I would think that only 1-3 whites in 5 generations would be a pretty good thing.

Most good Brown breeders hope to breed for color that holds, but with so many breeding issues: structure, movement, coat, size, head piece, temperament, health, work ethic etc, color often ends up taking a back seat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think many browns fade with age unless the dog doesn't have the fading gene... which I think is hard to find?? Not sure, still learning also.

Here is a picture of a brown standard poodle that is beginning to fade. They can become very faded, much more than in this picture. A while back someone posted pictures of their brown poodle and one year later it had faded into a very pretty "cafe" color.

You're little guy is adorable. I've always wanted a standard, but I have to admit after looking at your pups pictures it made me start thinking about the smaller sizes!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sire is Cadbury's Emperor Augustus, and the dam is CH. Funtyme's Sanvar de Saratoga. I must have been wrong, as I remember seeing a bunch of whites and now looking again, no whites, but see there ARE blue and one grey on the sires side. I must have only only looked at the 3 generation?

dam
http://www.poodlepedigree.com/fivegen.asp?ID=371290&type=color

sire
http://www.poodlepedigree.com/fivegen.asp?ID=144618&type=color

There are pictures of them at http://www.saratogastandards.com/ I would love to hear what you think as far as structure and all that on them. I can seem to only spot REALLY obvious faults. (I am just looking for a companion pet btw)

Let me know what you think. I know you are the one that produced those amazing reds, so I'm thinking you know your stuff when it comes to color :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

You are correct about that line (With Silver) carrying a fading factor. What do the Grandparents look like now ? This is what you will get. Ask for pics.
Because silver is a fading color this adds the fading factor into this line. White should not be to huge of a factor that far back.
Good luck !!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My black standard is only 1 1/2 and he's already fading. I bought him as a pet so didn't do any digging into his background but good grief he's not even 2 yet. By the time he's 4 he will probably look grey.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I'll see if she has any pics of grandparents just out of curiosity :) I thought there were whites in the background, but I must have been thinking about a different set of dogs I had looked up that day... turns out there are some blues and a grey on the sire's side, but the dam's side looks like all blacks and browns... at least those that are listed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts