Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on another thread that black dogs with a white parent often fade to blue. Gracie has one white and one black parent. Other her distinctive blaze, she is still inky black at two years of age. Should I expect her to fade as she ages because of her parentage? It doesn’t matter to me I was just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Even with generations of "black" dogs blue can (and often does) occur. This is, to a great degree, due to the fact that poodles are usually registered with AKC when they are very young and are still black. I have been trying to change Zoe's color on her AKC registration without success. Today I tried emailing AKC registration about it.

Poodles often do not begin to change from black to blue until they are 3 years old or even a bit older.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with generations of "black" dogs blue can (and often does) occur. This is, to a great degree, due to the fact that poodles are usually registered with AKC when they are very young and are still black. I have been trying to change Zoe's color on her AKC registration without success. Today I tried emailing AKC registration about it.

Poodles often do not begin to change from black to blue until they are 3 years old or even a bit older.
Thanks Johanna! She’s still too young to tell it sounds like, see what the years bring 😀

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Thanks Johanna! She’s still too young to tell it sounds like, see what the years bring 😀
If you have a pedigree for her that indicates several blue dogs she will probably turn blue.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a pedigree for her that indicates several blue dogs she will probably turn blue.
There are just black and white dogs listed in her pedigree, but some are not specified. I suppose I could look them up. I attached it. I do love her dark black coat, but if it changes, that’s Ok too.
83577628-7898-41C9-9959-E1A0A2C8F6D6.jpeg
that’s O

1 - 5 of 5 Posts