Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that color is supposed to be the last thing on the list for choosing a dog. Did you get the color that you wanted? If you did not, I am sure you love your dog! Did your preference then change? Or, do you still want one of another color? Did you buy another to get the color that you wanted?

Just curious! How much does color matter to you personally?:beauty:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My favorite is a black , than white with perfect pigmentation (dark skin and eyes ).

Lately though black and white Parti catches my eye , no matter how much I resist LMAO - there is something special about wonderfully groomed parti !!!!

I do not think I could pass the color preference when purchasing a puppy, no matter how "shallow" it actually is *sigh

Back also has a "sentimental" value for me - my first spoo was black <3 <3 <3

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My favorite is a black , than white with perfect pigmentation (dark skin and eyes ).

Lately though black and white Parti catches my eye , no matter how much I resist LMAO - there is something special about wonderfully groomed parti !!!!

I do not think I could pass the color preference when purchasing a puppy, no matter how "shallow" it actually is *sigh

Back also has a "sentimental" value for me - my first spoo was black <3 <3 <3
My childhood mini was brown. (In picture) But, I am really favoring apricots! :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I got just about what I wanted. :)
Whites are my absolute favorites, and I got a cream. I know that color shouldn't be a deciding factor in a dog, but frankly, I really didn't want a black or brown spoo, which were the other pups in Desmond's litter. Desmond's pigmentation isn't what I would want on a white dog (brown nose, eyes, eye rims, and nails) but I think it looks great on him with the biscuit tones in his fur.
Color, unfortunately, is quite a deciding factor for me in dogs. Looks are very important to me, but I want a dog which looks the part and is also compatible with me personality-wise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My apricot boy Rusty was from a rescue so it nothing to do with color. Love his color though! My sons wanted a black one so our 2nd we chose black, Coleson.

My want has more to do with sex rather than color. I want a girl so I can do the prissy doo's lol Not sure that the boy Spoos would appreciate prissy doo's!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Nope, i wanted a black standard. I think ill keep him anyways though! ;)

I dont know what color i want next (im pretty sure i know what colors i dont want). Im willing to compromise on color if i like the breeding though.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I wanted a white and nothing but a white. But I'm a groomer and one of the big reasons I wanted a spoo was to groom and do creative grooms (ie colour her!) so white was very much a necessity for me... Though in saying that it was only a co-incidence that i even got Paris though, and I didn't go out to find her, so it worked out well! LOL!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had absolutely no preference when it came to color, but I love my black girl. I don't know, I'm all about the personality. If the personality was there and I really had to choose I'd probably go with silver.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted a white and nothing but a white. But I'm a groomer and one of the big reasons I wanted a spoo was to groom and do creative grooms (ie colour her!) so white was very much a necessity for me... Though in saying that it was only a co-incidence that i even got Paris though, and I didn't go out to find her, so it worked out well! LOL!
How did you acquire your lovely dog? Did you find out about her through your business?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My favorite is white, and now I am the proud owner of a white boy :) I also have 2 blacks and one apricot. I was never going to have a black dog, well I guess I was wrong :p

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
When I went to pick up my first spoo I had my heart set on Red,my breeder had a puppy all pick out for me and all the other puppy were spoken for when I went to get her.
To my surprise when I got there and he brought the puppy out he also had an Apricot he did not tell me about because I was set on Red,well I have to say that little Apricot stole my heart from first site and my Sonja has been the love of my life ever since. So I would have to say I was defiantly not color blind.

I also had a brown toy growing up that I adored, so now I also have 2 browns & 2 blacks would love a white but my hubby said if I bring another dog in our house he is leaving bye,bye hubby ha,ha just kidding I happy with what I have husband and dogs.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
color was a bigger deal for me than it should have been perhaps. I didn't get exactly what I wanted with Jazz so yes I did go and get another poodle to fit the bill, BUT that wasn't the only reason we added Saleen. Jazz really kind of seemed like she would do well with a playmate more her size b/c the little dogs were not impressed with her attempts to play with them :p

When I saw Jazz she was advertised as white, but she is a creme. *shrugs* she was sold to he first owner as an apricot. By the time I got her she was on owner number 2 and headed for the shelter so she's a rescue. From day one though I wanted a silver, have ALWAYS loved silvers. Jazz just happened to come up first and something about her spoke to me (and my next choice was white) so of course we adopted her.

I was going to adopt a brown puppy when we were looking for another poodle but backed out of that because one of the two colors I can't stand is that faded brown and I couldn't determine whether this puppy would stay brown and strongly suspected it would not. My husband didn't care for the color either and knew that I would probably be bugging him for a silver at some point in the nearer than he liked future so when I found Saleen and she was a girl and available Silver it was and we took a pass on the brown puppy.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
I planned on brown, but like WonderPup I am not sure about the silvery brown so many clear to. While I was researching breeders I kept coming across lovely red and apricot dogs, and loved all the shades. It was Poppy herself that convinced me, though - I hope she stays a reasonably dark apricot, but love her for herself no matter what colour she ends up. I cannot get over my prejudices about parti coloured poodles though - no matter how pretty, I cannot imagine deliberately breeding for a non-solid colour, any more than I would deliberately breed for a mismarked papillon.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I thought I wanted an apricot or a brown, we got black. Captain is a joy though, so I guess not a big deal. My next poodle is going to be white with dark pigment and skin, and female. I am not adding another male to my house :lol:

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I am very happy to have and breed reds. They are a challenge and I am up for that. So very happy to now have Quincy as part of our breeding program because that is where my roots are. Growing up surrounded by show blacks, this just feels right. And I can feel my Mom smiling knowing some of the money I inherited from her was used to get this little guy. We are super excited to see what breeding Quincy to one of our deep red ladies brings to us.

·
Registered
518 Posts
being a pattern breeder, I thought I would base my choices on colors/pattern. But in the end I always chose the dogs I think is best, regardless of color.

If there were two equal dogs, then color might come into play.

there is nothing wrong with wanting a specific color. I like silver, probably because the first poodles I ever had contact with were Sassafras lines. Those faces would melt your heart!!

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I had my heart set on an apricot. I contacted two well-regarded breeders, one of whom had a litter of silver minis "on the ground." The second breeder was awaiting the arrival of an apricot litter, which was born a few hours after I contacted her.

I went to see the silvers and it was love at first sight! I fell in love first with the dam, Lady Liberty, then the maternal grandmother, Silver Suede. I am delighted with my silver mini Chagall's appearance, temperament and size.

I don't know what color poodle I'll get next, all I know is the only dogs I'll ever have from here on out will be poodles. If pressed on this, I suppose I'd still love an apricot, or a brown, or a black........

1 - 20 of 45 Posts